+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Cubs Thread

Official Cubs Thread

Cubs place Prior, Wood on 15-day DL

Mark Prior and Kerry Wood were placed on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday, meaning the Chicago Cubs will start the season without both star right-handers.

Neither move came as a surprise, as both have been rehabbing from injuries. The moves were retroactive to March 27.

"We knew neither one of them would be ready for opening day," Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said. "Mark has been throwing again and has had no discomfort. Woody has been very, very good."

Prior, 25, has a strained subscapularis muscle in the right shoulder. The muscle is part of the rotator-cuff group of muscles.

Earlier this month, Wood underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee to repair a minor cartilage tear. He began throwing shortly after that. He threw 60 pitches from a bullpen mound earlier this week

Prior has not pitched this spring. The Cubs had put him on a slower-paced throwing program in an effort to avoid the elbow problems that plagued him the previous two springs.

Prior last threw from a bullpen mound March 12. Two days later, he reported discomfort in the shoulder. An MRI arthrogram revealed the strain.

The Cubs' doctors prescribed a rest period of 7-10 days for Prior, who began throwing lightly this week. The team has set no timetable for his return.

Last season, Prior went 11-7 with a 3.67 ERA in 27 starts. He has a lifetime record of 41-23 with an ERA of 3.24.

Wood, 28, underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder last Aug. 31, after he went 3-4 with a 4.23 ERA in 21 games, 10 of them starts. He is 70-54 with a 3.67 ERA and 1,286 strikeouts in 1,109 innings pitched and was the NL Rookie of the Year in 1998.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5452944

LOL@the people who picked the Cubs to make the playoffs

Already off to a bad start. No way they make the playoffs without Wood and Prior pitching less than 200 innings. Zambrano is on an island all alone in that pitching staff.

LOL at the fact the Cubs wouldn't trade either guy to get a top 10 player in Tejada. These two are the oldest bits of oldest baseball bits. Next somebody is going to say Higginson wants to come back because he is the most commited to baseball he has ever been.

Blog Entries
    Is Higgy retired?
    Find a new slant.

I think he is out of baseball, I heard he didn't even get a invite to ST from any club, but I haven't heard retired.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Is Higgy retired?
    Speaking of Higgy, the Cardinals released Deivi Cruz today.

The old Tigs are dropping like flies.
    Find a new slant.

did alex sanchez get over his steriod issue and catch on anywhere?
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Chris Gomez just keeps on trucking, though. He's from the Rob Deer days...

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

Blog Entries

Official Cubs Thread

There are alot of Cubs fans in the Midwest in general, and though I don't count myself among them, I do live like 6 blocks from their home field.
    I figured they at least deserve their own thread in case anyone wants to chime in.

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

Blog Entries
    Lee is set to sign his extension today:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Cubs, Lee agree to $65 million, five-year deal

By RICK GANO, AP Sports Writer
    April 10, 2006

CHICAGO (AP) -- NL batting champion Derrek Lee and the Chicago Cubs agreed to a $65 million, five-year contract, a deal expected to be announced Tuesday.

"It's fairly likely something will be worked out," agent Casey Close said Monday. "We still have to iron out some things."

ADVERTISEMENT

The Cubs called a news conference for Tuesday but did not specify its subject, and Cubs general manager Jim Hendry declined comment.

Lee is making $8 million in the final season of a $22.5 million, three-year deal. His new contract calls for a $13 million annual salary from 2006-10 and contains a no-trade clause, one person familiar with the agreement said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Late last week, Lee said he would break off negotiations for the rest of the season if the sides did not reach an agreement by last Saturday, but he later softened his stance.

"There could be loose ends if it does work out," Lee said. "If there's a gap, we'll see. But it sounded like they're getting close."

He joined the Cubs before the 2004 season in a trade from Florida, one year after helping the Marlins beat Chicago in the NL championship series and then win the World Series.

During spring training, Lee said he wouldn't necessarily be seeking the biggest contract.

"If it's a deal I feel is fair for me, I would sign it. It's still a business. I always look at it as if there is a deal that makes me happy now, why not sign it? I don't think $2-3 million a year more is going to change my life," he said.

Lee started quickly last season and finished by leading the NL in average (.335), hits (199), doubles (50) with 46 homers and 107 RBIs while winning a Gold Glove at first base.

Through the first five games this season, Lee is batting .375 with three homers and six RBIs.

Close switched companies in a move announced Monday, joining Creative Artists Agency after many years at IMG.

"It was the continuing convergence of entertainment and sports," Close said when asked for the reason behind his decision. "I thought CAA would be the perfect place to explore new opportunities. "They're very interested in making a strong statement in this part of the business."

Football agent Tom Condon left IMG last week for CAA.

AP Baseball Writer Ronald Blum in New York contributed to this report.

GO WHITE!

+ Reply to Thread