View Poll Results: Who will have the better year?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mark Mulder

5 50.00%
  • Jake Peavy

5 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Peavy or Mulder

You wouldn't expect 14 ER combined in 9.1 combined innings when these two meet. What an f'ed up weekend.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Blog Entries
    Uh oh.

Jun 1 Peavy's next start might get pushed back from Saturday to next Tuesday, so that he can rest his shoulder, the Padres' official site reports.

Recommendation: "There's a possibility [Peavy] might miss a start ... to calm down that tendinitis in his shoulder," manager Bruce Bochy said. Peavy said that his shoulder has been sore during his last four to five starts.
    Find a new slant.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Mulder sure isn't doing us any favors against the White Sox today:

M. Mulder
    2.1 IP, 10H, 9ER

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

We're not going to talk too much about that, though.

Blog Entries
    Jun 22 Mulder was placed on the 15-day disabled list Thursday with a shoulder strain. The left-hander is coming off a forgettable outing in which he gave up nine earned runs and 10 hits in 2 1-3 innings of a 20-6 loss to the Chicago White Sox on Tuesday.

Advice: Mulder has struggled mightily in his last six starts, going 1-4 with an 11.39 ERA. In 27 2-3 innings, he has given up 35 earned runs _ including 10 homers _ and an alarming 51 hits. For the season, he is 6-5 with a 6.09 ERA in 15 starts.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6393/news
    Find a new slant.

In spite of being on the DL for the last month, Mulder still has 2 more wins on the season than Peavis.
    Jul. 22
    News: After Peavy was blown out on Friday night for the second straight outing, raising his season ERA to 5.15 and lowering his record to 4-10, Peavy and manager Bruce Bochy blamed his struggles on too many adjustments and too little confidence, but not on a current injury. "There's no doubt I'm not comfortable on the mound. I've never had a year when I had to work on mechanical issues in the 'pen," Peavy told the North County Times.
    Peav has given up 41 earned runs in his last 52.2 innings with 1 win and 5 losses. I think you effectively administered a jinx on these two fine pitchers Glenn. Nice work.

Two threads are about to collide. I think Mark Mulder is going to face West Michigan in his 2nd rehab start. (I'm going to post this same thing in the other applicable thread as well - doing it in only two threads doesn't count as spam, so relax)

Blog Entries
    Ugh x 2

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2553161

Mulder tagged for five runs in third rehab start
    Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY -- St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Mark Mulder gave up five runs in four innings Thursday in a rehab start for Triple-A Memphis to test whether he was ready to return to the major leagues.

The two-time All-Star walked five and yielded seven hits -- including a two-run homer by Joaquin Arias -- before leaving after the fourth inning. Only 50 of his 92 pitches were strikes, and he benefited from two runners being thrown out from the outfield.

"It was probably a little bit better than the last one when they were hitting a few balls but, you know, it's a rehab start," Mulder said. "I'm not concerned with that. I was concerned with throwing strikes. I had a handful of walks. I wasn't very happy with that, but there was a couple of them that were real questionable walks."

A shoulder injury has created problems with the left-hander's delivery, causing him to throw at three-quarters instead of over the top. After the third inning, Memphis pitching coach Dyar Miller sat on the bench next to Mulder, pulling his arm over his head and making a downward throwing motion.

"It's just a matter of me being consistent with my arm slot," Mulder said. "Part of the night it was. Part of the night it wasn't."

Miller said Mulder was hitting his arm slot about 50 percent of the time but was doing a better job of keeping his arm up.

"Each delivery is a little bit different. He's like going through spring training. I think maybe with a couple side sessions, he might be ready to go up there and pitch. We'll just have to see," Miller said.

"He's making improvements over his last start. He threw the ball better -- it was coming out of his hand better, anyway. He was missing down more," he said.

Mulder returned for the fourth and gave up a double to Adam Morrissey and a single to Arias, but Morrissey was cut down at the plate by left fielder Shawn Garrett's throw. Mulder ended his outing with his third strikeout, getting Jamie Burke swinging on a full count.

Four of Oklahoma's five runs were earned, and all of the RedHawks' hits were solid. Two other sharply hit balls were snagged by Memphis fielders -- a line drive to third by Eric Young in the first inning and a sinking liner that right fielder Brian Martin dove to catch in the second.

It was the third rehab start for Mulder since he went on the disabled list on June 21, a day after giving up nine runs in 2 1/3 innings against the White Sox, with an injury described as rotator cuff irritation and impingement in the left shoulder.

Mulder said he would fly to Chicago, where the Cardinals were to start a three-game set against the Cubs, on Friday. He said he didn't know whether a fourth rehab start would be necessary.

"I think he's pretty close," Miller said. "It's just muscle memory. I think he got in some bad habits the last year or so and it's just going to take a little while to change that muscle memory, and that's what he's going through now."

Mulder walked the first batter he faced on six pitches and got his first out Young's line drive. Adam Hyzdu lined a single to left, and Burke followed with a two-run double to the warning track in left center, the deepest part of the ballpark at 415 feet.

Young opened the third by walking on a full count, and Arias powered Mulder's 3-1 pitch into the bullpen in left center for his first home run since May 30. The RedHawks made it 5-1 when Aarom Baldiris lined an RBI single to center, but Mulder got out of the inning when Burke was caught in a rundown between third and home.

"I could care less about the results," Mulder said. "I just wanted to throw strikes. I wasn't happy with the fact that I walked those guys. A few pitches I left up over the plate that they hit hard, but it was because I had gone ball one, ball two, whatever it was, and I was behind in the count."

A healthy Mulder would be a key addition to the Cardinals, who extended their NL Central lead to 3½ games Thursday with a win against second-place Cincinnati.

The winningest pitcher in the majors from 2001-05, Mulder started the year 5-1 and had a 3.69 ERA after throwing 8 1/3 shutout innings against the New York Mets on May 17. But then the struggles started.

Over his next six starts, Mulder had an 11.39 ERA and lost four of his five decisions. He had a 6.09 ERA when he went on the DL.

In his first rehab start, he gave up two runs -- one earned -- in five innings Aug. 6 for Class A Quad Cities. His second rehab start wasn't as smooth. In four innings with Memphis, he gave up four runs on four hits.

Mulder said pain wasn't a problem for him Thursday.

"My biggest concern is getting my arm ready to go out there and be able to throw 90 to 100 pitches in a game," Mulder said. "I want to have the arm strength to be able to compete out there. My arm, as far as arm strength goes, is fine."

Mulder is a free agent at the end of the season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260817125

Padres ace Jake Peavy (6-12) set a career high with his 12th loss. The right-hander is having an uncharacteristically poor season after leading the majors with a 2.27 ERA in 2004 and the NL with 216 strikeouts last year. Peavy's only other double-digit loss season was 12-11 in 2003, his first full year in the big leagues.

"It's up to us to have short memories and forget this series," Peavy said.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie Guillen
    ''[Cardinals starter Mark] Mulder wouldn't even make my team,'' Guillen said. ''He couldn't start for us, and he's not better than [Neal] Cotts or [Matt] Thornton in our bullpen.
    Also...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=260822125&prov=ap

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- On most nights, scoring only one run for ace Jake Peavy would have meant a loss for the San Diego Padres.

But the Padres have been lights-out against Los Angeles this season, and a hard single by Mike Piazza supplied all the offense Peavy needed in a 1-0 win on Tuesday night that pulled San Diego within two games of the NL West-leading Dodgers.

"We came in here today and showed the first-place team that we're not scared and that we can play with anybody," said Peavy, who held Los Angeles to three hits in seven dominating innings.
    The Padres have scored two or fewer runs in 12 of Peavy's 25 starts.

Peavy struck out seven and walking one.

I have officially lost this fight. While neither were anywhere close to meeting expectations, 100% of GM's would rather have Peavy right now.

+ Reply to Thread