View Poll Results: Who will have the better year?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mark Mulder

5 50.00%
  • Jake Peavy

5 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Peavy or Mulder

Blog Entries
    So you want to debate who is better, St. Louis or San Diego.

At least, that is how it sounds.

I'll admit the original "who will have a better year" question gives you some latitude, maybe I should have said "who is the better pitcher"?

I think every GM in MLB would take Peavy over Mulder, hands down.
    Find a new slant.

By the way, make that 4-0 for the Cards.

Admittedly, St. Louis is a MUCH better team, but the Padres were a playoff team last season and, by many accounts, should have gotten better in the offseason. Chris Young doesn't seem too put off by the team being bad. Fact is, Peavy is struggling. To say a GM would rather have Peavy is a no-brainer because he is younger. But I don't agree that EVERY GM would rather have Peavy if they knew for a fact that they were just dealing with one year. Many would rather have the experience that Mulder brings, even though Peavy is in his 5th season. Keep in mind he's never won more than 15 games.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethro34
    Fact is, Peavy is struggling.
    Not quite sure that I'd call it "struggling", but "not maximizing his potential" might be more accurate.

Peavy, YTD
    25 IP
    20 K
    1 W
    2 L
    4.32 ERA
    1.08 WHIP
    7.20 K/9
    Peavy's WHIP and K/9 are better than Mulder's even while he is "struggling". Not to mention that last year Peavy had nearly double the strikeouts that Mulder did (216 v. 111) and his ERA was nearly a full run lower (2.88 v. 3.64). WHIPs were 1.04 for Peavy, 1.38 for Mulder, so I'd like to meet some of those GMs that would take Mulder over Jake, I'd make sure that Dombrowski got their phone #'s.

Put Albert Pujols on the Padres, or Peavy on the Cards and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
    Find a new slant.

Explain this Glenn, both teams are .500 when these guys AREN'T pitching.
    Throw out numbers like walk, hits, strikeouts, whatever you want. I don't care if a guy strikes out the side or forces 3 groundouts. As long as he gets out of the inning it's fine. In fact, groundball pitchers are much less likely to have arm injuries. Do you think the Cubs and Braves were upset that Maddux didn't strike more people out? Obviously they're seeing with Wood and Prior what can happen to guys that try to throw too hard.
    Like I said, if you're looking at guy to finish his career, you take Peavy because he is 4 years younger. Meanwhile Mulder has won 15 or more games every year except his 9-win rookie year, while Peavy has never passed 15 in a season. For one season, I take the winner.
    If you're talking fantasy value, depending on the format, yes, Peavy can help you in more areas. I still like wins. Which means I take Mulder's 99 wins and 50 losses over Peavy's 47 wins and 33 losses.

Blog Entries
    Okay, now I look just plain foolish.

Peavy is struggling, advantage: Jethro34.
    Find a new slant.

Yeah, he got knocked around a bit last night again.
    However, I don't want people to think I'm bashing him by any means. I'm not saying that comparing Mulder to Peavy is like comparing Roger Clemens to Jose Lima (after all, Lima has won more than 15 games in a season! I kid)
    Peavy, if he doesn't let this rocky start get to him mentally, is on pace to be a Hall of Fame pitcher - barring any major injuries. I think the same can be said for Mulder. If he pitches for 7 or 8 more years (which would only put him up to age 35-36, certainly realistic considerring the number of guys over that age in the league right now), he'll likely be able to reach around 230-240 wins. His other numbers will probably be decent, not spectacular, but he'll put together a solid career and he's at or near his prime RIGHT NOW, while Peavy is probably still a couple years away. Peavy may well end up with the better career of the two even, but for THIS YEAR, I take Mulder.

Blog Entries
    Peavy faces Bonds and the Giants tonight.

Bonds hit no. 700 off Peavy back in 2004, so I'm hoping that Jake learned a little something from that experience.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Peavy wins, Mulder loses and all is right with the world again.

2006 Stats

Mulder
    IP 40.2
    Wins 2
    K 21
    ERA 4.43
    WHIP 1.25

Peavy
    IP 39.1
    Wins 2
    K 28
    ERA 4.58
    WHIP 1.19
    It's getting hot in here.
    Last edited by Glenn; 05-02-2006 at 11:43 AM.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    2006 Stats

Mulder
    IP 46.2
    Wins 3
    K 22
    ERA 4.44
    WHIP 1.29

Peavy
    IP 52.1
    Wins 3
    K 44
    ERA 3.61
    WHIP 1.13

And yet Mulder still leads in the voting. I seem to be the only one defending him, and that makes me look bad, but the votes are in his favor which should raise some eyebrows. Is there any way of seeing who else voted for him?

+ Reply to Thread