+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OGT: Wings vs Predz Mar 30

OGT: Wings vs Predz Mar 30

Detroit (49-15-7) at Nashville (42-22-8)
    Detroit (49-15-7) at Nashville (42-22-8)

Preview - Box Score - Recap

Game Info: 8:00 pm EST Thu Mar 30, 2006
    TV: FSDet, FSS Add to Calendar
    Buy Tickets

The Detroit Red Wings became the first Western Conference team to secure a playoff spot to start the week. Their Central Division rivals, the Nashville Predators, look to pull closer to a berth when the teams meet at the Gaylord Entertainment Center.

Detroit defeated St. Louis 4-1 on Monday night to clinch a postseason spot. Steve Yzerman scored his 690th goal to tie Mario Lemieux for eighth place all-time for the Red Wings, who now set their sights on the conference title.

The Wings are looking to hold off Dallas in the West for their second straight conference crown and third in four seasons. Detroit is also trying to earn the Presidents' Trophy for the NHL's best record for the third time in that span. With 105 points, the Red Wings are two ahead of Ottawa.

Yzerman's 12th goal of the season came midway through the second period, pulling him even with Lemieux, who retired in January.

"I don't really know the significance," Yzerman said of tying the Pittsburgh Penguins superstar. "If anything, it shows how good (Lemieux) is; he played almost five years less than I did."

Next up on the career list for Detroit's captain is Mark Messier, who's four goals ahead of Yzerman.

The Red Wings will be looking to extend a six-game road winning streak when they face the Predators, who as recently as last week appeared ready to take a run at Detroit down the stretch.

Nashville pulled to within eight points of Detroit with a 3-2 shootout victory over the Wings at Joe Louis Arena on March 21, its fifth straight win. The Predators, though, have since dropped three straight to fall 13 points behind the Wings with 10 games remaining.

While the Predators are unlikely to catch the Red Wings, they have a good chance of locking up fourth place in the conference, which would give them home-ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs. Nashville's 27-6-1 home mark is tops in the West.

Nashville's outstanding play at home could be the deciding factor in the race for the fourth spot. The Preds' three-game losing streak came on the road, but they play seven of their final 10 games at the Gaylord Entertainment Center.

"You've got to play with urgency and we aren't playing with urgency right now," said Nashville's Tomas Vokoun, who made 37 saves in his team's 5-3 loss to Phoenix on Tuesday night. "That's why we're a step late everywhere. That's why teams are scoring on us. It's a long season and there are always ups and downs. We just have to get back somehow on the horse and whatever we need to do we need to do it."

The Predators have given up 17 goals in the last three games, including eight on the power play.

The Red Wings have won the last three meetings at Nashville, but the Preds have won six in a row at home. Nashville's last loss on home ice was a 3-2 defeat to Detroit on Feb. 9.

Updated on Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 6:35 am EST
    Kelly Youngblood: Don't take any shit from them Canucks. To them,
    you're just another wetback, crossing the border to play their game.
    Dean Youngblood: They'll never catch me!
    Kelly Youngblood: Oh, they'll catch you.

"I don't know that I'm ever not gonna want to play."
    So what's the record against the Wings lookin' like, Fraser?

Eh, don't bother looking it up, I'll help: The Wings are 4-1-2 against the Predz this season with one game left to go....the last game.

Whatever the outcome, I will whole heartedly admit that I certainly do not want to face them in the post season....although it looks like it's probably gonna happen. If it does, it will certainly be a series to remember.

I will ask this though: I watched the game last night and noticed that Nashville was playing a little dirty. Do they think that shit is really gonna fly?

I think come playoff time the dirty stuff will be more frequent. I will be interested to see if the clutching and grabbing will still be called. If not the Wings and Nashville will be in trouble against teams like Calgary. Did not see all of the game, did Cross stick his big ass in there when the chippy stuff was going on?
    \"I tried to teach my dog safe sex but he kept licking off the rubbers.\"
    Larry the Cable Guy

Actually, Cross did stick his mug in the action when things got chippy. I wasn't too sure if I'd like him as a late addition to our team, but I actually REALLY like him.

The other bit of "street justice" came at the hands of Shanahan. He looked pretty good beating on Scott Hartnell....even Babcock was impressed. '

Come to think of it....when was the last time that Shanny even lost a fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Shugadaddi
    Actually, Cross did stick his mug in the action when things got chippy. I wasn't too sure if I'd like him as a late addition to our team, but I actually REALLY like him.

The other bit of "street justice" came at the hands of Shanahan. He looked pretty good beating on Scott Hartnell....even Babcock was impressed. '

Come to think of it....when was the last time that Shanny even lost a fight?
    Glad to hear that. He is a big dude who knows what his role is. You are right about Shanny sometimes I wish he would fight more but with the instigator rules they have in place that would be a bad idea.
    Larry the Cable Guy

He fights when he needs to, he scores when he needs to. He's the king. Just wait for the post-season. He's gonna go crazy bat-shit nuts.

He fights when he needs to, he scores when he needs to. He's the king. Just wait for the post-season. He's gonna go crazy bat-shit nuts.
    I sure hope so cause I am afraid Datsyuk may shit the bed again in the playoffs. Hank and Shanny have to step up. I also look for Sammuelson to have a nice playoffs.
    Larry the Cable Guy

Well if they do inforce the clutching and grabbing in the post season then Pavel and Hank will be just fine.

The other side of the coin is also interesting. If they DON'T enforce the rules as they have been all season, then it will spring free Draper and Maltby who have spent 90% of their season on the penalty kill.

Either way, we have 4 great lines to roll and if our only weak spot is our goaltender (who leads the league in shut outs) then I think we'll be OK

Well if they do inforce the clutching and grabbing in the post season then Pavel and Hank will be just fine.

The other side of the coin is also interesting. If they DON'T enforce the rules as they have been all season, then it will spring free Draper and Maltby who have spent 90% of their season on the penalty kill.

Either way, we have 4 great lines to roll and if our only weak spot is our goaltender (who leads the league in shut outs) then I think we'll be OK
    I hope so, just always a little afraid of the hot goalie. I am hoping they have a happy medium of sorts when it comes to the penalties. If it interferes with the flow of the game then call it otherwise let it go.
    Larry the Cable Guy

It is always wise to fear a hot goaltender. Who knows....maybe this year it will be ours.

+ Reply to Thread