+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Nearly $2 billion development possibly coming to GR

Along with the whole selling of the strip club property possibly derailing the development, I had heard that the leak to the media (namely WOOD-TV) of the type of industry didn't sit well with the developers.

Can't really confirm this as the truth, but this person also brought up the sale of the strip club property. Maybe it's just one gigantic strip club? The denizens of West Michigan would love it.

All the cities around GR would feed off this development like crazy. In my econ class at Western (in kalamazoo south of GR) all my teacher has been talking about is the great things that can be caused by this going down.

GRs a great city and hopefully this shit gets done.

This should have came to the D.

Quote Originally Posted by The Archdiocese
    Why? Does Detroit have the market on big developments in Michigan? What's wrong with trying to become more than a one-city state?

Exactly, if this goes down we are practically Texas.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TK
    Why? Does Detroit have the market on big developments in Michigan? What's wrong with trying to become more than a one-city state?
    Clearly you are not compelled by the power of Christ right now.

Shame on you.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by TK
    Clearly you are not compelled by the power of Christ right now.
    I thought I was, but it turned out to be gas.

If this thing gets developed, whatever it is, do you see GR being the industry/job leader in Michigan, what with the automakers circling the drain?

If so, I think the Lions should move here. It only makes sense.

Blog Entries
    I'm not bright enough to fully understand what this means to the future of the state of Michigan, it's all I can do to make sure that my belt matches my shoes in the morning.

As far as the Lions go, I know you are joking, but remember who owns the Orlando Magic. They have been having a bit of trouble getting a new arena down there too.

I'm not saying that DeVos is going to relocate the Magic to GR, but maybe he'll sell them to a new group under the condition that the NBA gives him a new franchise in GR down the road.

Just thinking out loud here.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I'm not bright enough to fully understand what this means to the future of the state of Michigan, it's all I can do to make sure that my belt matches my shoes in the morning.

As far as the Lions go, I know you are joking, but remember who owns the Orlando Magic. They have been having a bit of trouble getting a new arena down there too.

I'm not saying that DeVos is going to relocate the Magic to GR, but maybe he'll sell them to a new group under the condition that the NBA gives him a new franchise in GR down the road.

Just thinking out loud here.
    I can feel that, although I think the Magic would be SOL if they came here. The Piston loyalty is fierce here. I can't see myself becoming a Magic fan, even if they are in my own backyard. Same goes for the Lions - I don't think I could ever root for any other team.

When we had a CBA team, attendance sucked, and attendance sucks for the Griffins (IHL hockey) as well, despite being a perennially great team and the top farm club for the Wings.

The only sport that seems to do well here is baseball - the Whitecaps sell out every game. And I could get behind a major league baseball team in GR. The Tigers only have my loyalty due to proximity.

But I don't see any pro franchise scenario happening, mainly because in my lifetime, nothing exciting (on a national scale) has ever happened to GR.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure that comparing the success of minor league sports to possible success with major league sports is a good idea.

Me, for one, could give a rat's ass about the Griffins, the Whitecaps, the CBA's Hoops, etc. I feel the same way about most college/women's sports.

I only want to watch the best. Give me a major league team, and I'll support the hell out of it.

I think GR's location is key too. If they drop an NBA team here, as part of this huge entertainment development/destination, not only will it draw from all over Michigan, but fans of the Bulls, the Bucks (they can now take the ferry right across the lake), the Pistons, etc. would potentially be willing to come here for "the experience".
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread