+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Good For Harrington

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    what a fucking crybaby
    you guys destroy qb's. and your track record is still intact.
    Thats like saying you destroy a good shit by flushing it.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermy
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    what a fucking crybaby
    you guys destroy qb's. and your track record is still intact.
    Thats like saying you destroy a good shit by flushing it.
    ah, touche ...good response.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Part 2 of his interview

QUESTION: Was there a moment when you felt that Coach Mariucci had lost confidence in you?

ANSWER: There was an incident. It was about halfway through my third season. I went into his office to talk with him. I said, "Coach, I need you to give me permission to throw the ball downfield. To take some shots downfield. I feel like I can't." He said, "I don't know where you're getting that idea." I said, "You tell me every day if there's any chance of a mistake, pull it back, check down. I feel roped in. Let me take some chances." He stood up, went to his sink and started brushing his teeth. He said, "I've got to go do some interviews. If you want to talk about this, come back later."

And then he walked out.

I look back on that now and it seems like such a defining moment. But at the time, I was so focused on making him happy, on getting in his good graces, I just let it go.
    Q: Let's talk about your receivers in Detroit. Did you feel let down by them at all -- particularly Charles Rogers and his problems?

A:
    (Long pause.) I don't feel the need to single anybody out. I would see myself no different than Dré Bly and what he did if I came out and said what I think Charles needs to do. I will only say that I don't care who you are or what position you play, you have to be into being part of the team. You have to buy into the idea of sacrificing things that you personally may find valuable or important.

Q: How about Roy Williams?

A:
    I will miss throwing the ball to him. I always appreciated that he showed support for me; I really did. And I think he can be a very special player in this league.
    Q: After Dré Bly made his critical comments about you, didn't you ever bump into him?

A:
    Yeah. I acted like I did every other moment I've been in the same room with him. Just normal.

Q: Did he ever apologize?

A:
    About a month or so later. We were in Green Bay, I think, before the game, in the hotel. We were standing in a group waiting for an elevator. He pulled me aside. He said his comments were from frustration. I asked him why he didn't say them to my face. He said he was in the moment, and it was an emotional moment. He said he respected how I handled the whole thing. We shook hands.

Q: Were you satisfied?

A:
    I didn't need to be satisfied. ... I don't know that I really felt much differently afterwards.
    Q: What happened at the "Quarterback School," which turned out to be your last official time with the Lions? There were rumors that you were uncooperative.

A:
    Well, I was uncomfortable when I came back. Did I sabotage Quarterback School? No, I didn't. But I was uncomfortable, because I felt that people were just trying to sweep under the rug what had happened the last four years.

Q: What made you uncomfortable?

A:
    Being back in that environment, walking back in through those doors into a building where I felt people had turned their back on me -- and then to have people pretend it never happened. They acted like "you have a fresh start with us," but there are 50 other guys in the locker room who saw what happened. It wasn't just about having a new start with the coaches.

I was probably visibly uncomfortable, which (Coach Marinelli and I) ended up talking about. But I took notes. I studied. People might have come up and said, "Are you OK?" I probably wasn't as talkative as usual.

But I didn't have any cross words with Coach (Mike) Martz. Not at all. I wanted to listen. A lot of the stuff was difficult for me because it was so completely opposite of what I'd been coached, the drop, the ball carriage, the release point.

Q: You said you spoke with Coach Marinelli about all this.

A:
    We spoke. I was honest with him. It was one of the best talks I've ever had with a coach. I told him how I felt. I told him the things that had happened when I had been here. I told him I felt that people had turned their back on me. However, at the same time -- I want to emphasize this -- at no time did I ever tell him, "Coach, I want to leave."

My exact words to him were: "If you want me to be your quarterback, I'm here for you."

Q: And what did he say?

A:
    He told me exactly what he was thinking. He said you signed a contract with the Detroit Lions and I said, "Yes, I did, and I will work to get though these issues." And I went home after Quarterback School and he called me before my overseas trip that I had planned for six months and he said, "You know, I've been thinking about our talk and I need to decide if you're the right quarterback for this team at this time."

I told him, "Coach, if you want me to be your quarterback, then I'll get on a plane and I'll cut my trip short and I'll be there for report date, but I'd like you to let me know."

Q: Did he let you know?

A:
    They let me know when they signed two other guys.
    Q: In your heart, did you really want it to work out?

A:
    Part of me did, part of me didn't. That's natural. What person is going to 100% want to walk back into a situation where they've been booed out of a home stadium, where they've lost four years, where some people on the team have openly, publicly and nationally blamed things on you?

I was upset when it happened, I was, but I knew there was gonna be a chance to get a fresh start somewhere. I wasn't gonna let it ruin me.

And the next days, when we went to Thailand, I felt a sense of freedom.
    Q: Will you think of Detroit fondly?

A:
    Yeah, I will, I will. It was my first opportunity in the NFL. There were people who taught me a lot of very important lessons here. But it was the most frustrating football experience I've ever had.

Q: Any last things to say to the people of Detroit?

A:
    Don't stop being fans. Don't stop caring. I really do believe that things will turn around with Coach Marinelli, I really do. And when they do, that city is gonna go crazy. That city will go absolutely crazy.
    Read the full interview here.

Q: What did you think when they hired Steve Mariucci?

A: His reputation preceded him, that's for certain.

Q: What was that reputation?

A: That he was a winner. That he was a master of the West Coast offense. He definitely had an air about him when he came in -- an air of confidence. But it's funny. I especially remember when he first addressed the team. I thought to myself, "My God, this guy sounds just like Marty Mornhinweg."
    BAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That is fucking hilarious.

+ Reply to Thread