Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Good For Harrington

Syndicate Emeritus, Site Co-Founder Taymelo's Avatar

Good For Harrington

Harrington sabatoged Lions 'QB school'
    Friday, March 17, 2006
    By Tom Kowalski
    Joey Harrington is going, going -- but not gone yet.

The Detroit Lions quarterback won't be back with the team next year, but he might stay on the roster for a while. The Lions will try to salvage something out of the situation and attempt to trade Harrington -- and they might be willing to wait for the right deal.

Harrington's fate in Detroit was sealed Thursday when the Lions signed free-agent quarterback Josh McCown (Arizona Cardinals) to a two-year deal, just two days after signing free agent Jon Kitna (Cincinnati Bengals). McCown and Kitna will compete in training camp for the starting quarterback job.

Those signings squeezed Harrington out of the Lions' future plans, but Harrington played a big role in punching his own bus ticket out of town.

Harrington was so adamant about leaving the Lions that several people close to the situation believe he sabotaged his appearance at last week's "quarterback school" with new offensive coordinator Mike Martz.

During the classroom sessions, when asked to go to the board and break down plays, Harrington put forth little effort. When asked to either open his playbook or to take notes, Harrington either refused or was extremely slow to do so. He was lethargic and uncooperative. According to sources, it was quickly apparent to Martz that Harrington had no desire to be there.

After Martz and Harrington had words, Harrington went into a meeting with Lions officials and told them he didn't want to play for Detroit any longer. Harrington was so determined to leave the team that, according to sources, he said he'd be willing to restructure his contract in any way that would quicken his release.

Harrington's desire to leave the Lions was sparked not by the management or the new coaching staff, but the entire negative environment that surrounded him, including fans, media and his own teammates. According to sources, Harrington told team officials during an emotional exchange that "I hate everybody on this team and everybody hates me."
    Good for him.

Tell it like it is, Joey.

If I were him, I'd open up to the media, and bury anyone and everyone on that team that I could. I'd talk about who is cheating on their wives, who takes steroids, who does drugs, who is an alcoholic, etc.

I'd fucking trash and burn the organization that treated him so fucking shitty and may have destroyed his career.

I rarely listen to AM 1270, but I had it on yesterday, and Art Regner made a great point. He was asked to discuss his most vivid memory of Joey's career in Detroit. He chose a game in which (I'm paraphrasing) "it was obvious to anyone who watched the game that the receivers were dropping every single pass, but in the press conference, Marriucci blamed the loss on Harrington. That right there is the memory that most accurately reflects Joey's four years in Detroit."
    Quote Originally Posted by WH Press Sec. Tony Snow
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taymelo
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

Blog Entries

Re: Good For Harrington

Apologist^

Although I have to say that it's nice to see him finally showing that he's not a robot ("We'll learn from this loss" yadda, yadda). It's just a little too late.

According to sources, Harrington told team officials during an emotional exchange that "I hate everybody on this team and everybody hates me."
    I'm surprised that they left off the part about him running into his room and slamming the door afterwards.
    Find a new slant.

Re: Good For Harrington

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Apologist^

Although I have to say that it's nice to see him finally showing that he's not a robot ("We'll learn from this loss" yadda, yadda). It's just a little too late.

According to sources, Harrington told team officials during an emotional exchange that "I hate everybody on this team and everybody hates me."
    I'm surprised that they left off the part about him running into his room and slamming the door afterwards.
    Why? Is it LESS mature than what Bly did?

"You can't blame one guy for the state of the team, especially since its all one guy's fault - - - Joey!"
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

Blog Entries
    For some reason, I find it less mature to "emotionally" state that "I hate everybody and everybody hates me" than I do to say "Harrington sucks".

Can't really explain why.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    For some reason, I find it less mature to "emotionally" state that "I hate everybody and everybody hates me" than I do to say "Harrington sucks".

Can't really explain why.
    I see where you're going with that, but honestly, under the circumstances, I think it was a fair and accurate statement, as opposed to a childish one. I guess it depends on the context. In the context I read it, it sounded mature and extremely insightful, not immature and childish.

EDIT: In other words, he's the one being realistic and adult, while the Lions are being unrealistic and childish trying to sweep everything that has happened under the rug and expecting everyone to coexist.

Good for Joey?

If Alonzo Mourning or Dwayne (I can't spell it like he does) Wade did this you'd be calling him a fucking baby.

Glenn has it right. He "sabotaged" his evaluation? Talk about playing the pouty bitch role. I'm not a Joey hater and I think the "he never had an O-line" argument has merit but this is a move I'd expect from my 2-year-old daughter in a few years, not the guy who's supposed to lead a team. There's absolutely no need for it as he could just tell Millen "Look, I'm not playing. Period." Somebody should have clocked this prick in the mouth while he was "opening his playbook extremely slowly" and told him that in the real world you act like a man even when you are quiting. Just fucking refuse to be "re-evaluated" don't play the pouty prom-queen runner-up.

"Is it any worse than Dre Bly?" Who gives a shit? That's no justification even if Bly's is worse. "Good for Joey", fucking bullshit.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    To be honest, I thought Harrington was done in Detroit for good once Garcia took the job from him. I was really surprised that they went back to Harrington as opposed to going with Danny O.

Then they shocked me again at the end of the season when I thought for sure that he was done for good here and they insisted that he was coming back. It just seemed like a relationship with a chick that was over and the guy keeps holding out hope that it's going to work out. But it never does.

The only thing that I can attribute the Lions desire to try and make this work with Joey several times after it was obvious that it was over was Millen's ego. He didn't want to admit that the draft pick was a mistake and a bust.

Cutting a pick that high or trading him for a 5-7th round pick (only 4 years later) is the realization that it was a mistake, and that realization should have come much, much sooner, IMO.
    Find a new slant.

I think this is bull shit of Joey. If he wanted out, he should have gone to Millen and fixed this prior to sabatoging meetings. Handle it like a man. If you want out, I don't blame him. But this was pretty shady. Just say you want out. Hold out if that's what it takes. Just don't mail it in. You waste your time, and everyone else involved in evaluating your whiney ass.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Joy finally shows his true colors.

Good for Millen.

I don't like Joey or anything but he is just stating what is fucking obvious and it's nice to see him grow some balls.

As for Bly he is a complete fucking joke and I would cut his ass if I were coach. He is also probably the most over rated Lion of all time. It looks really cute when he gets a pick but provided he doesn't lateral it to the wrong guy, those plays don't make up for his small size and the fact that he gets burned at least as many times a game as he makes a pick and I'm sure he gets burned or misses a tackle plenty more times a game than he makes a play.

Bly is a nickel CB and that's about it.

+ Reply to Thread