+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Hoiberg met with DET/PHX, likely to sit out rest of year

He's a good fit in PHX. Besides I won't have to turn the game off every time he is on the floor. I don't want to see anybody drop dead and die in front of me.

Why risk it?
    In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Hoiberg decides not to sign
    Concerns about heart too great

Fred Hoiberg left Phoenix on Friday and won't be back for a while.

Hoiberg visited with the Suns but has decided for now that any NBA comeback this season may not be the right move after consulting with various cardiologists. Hoiberg, 33, would have been the first NBA player to play with a pacemaker, installed in June after an aneurysm was discovered. He also had family considerations.

Hoiberg, last season's league three-point shooting leader, would have provided insurance at the wing position.
    http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...unsnb0318.html

Blog Entries
    http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...s/14147165.htm

Hoiberg update: Wolves special assistant Fred Hoiberg said he doesn't want to get his hopes up, but he's interested in the head coaching job at his alma mater, Iowa State. Hoiberg has decided he won't pursue returning to the NBA this season. Hoiberg has talked with a couple of influential Iowa State boosters who are involved in the process, though he hasn't talked with athletics director Jamie Pollard.

Hoiberg, who played the previous two seasons with the Wolves, worked out with the Detroit Pistons and the Phoenix Suns recently while Minnesota was on a six-game road trip. Hoiberg was waived last summer after he had aortic root surgery in June and has a pacemaker.

"I had great meetings with both teams," Hoiberg said. "I had workouts that went very well with both teams. The big thing is meeting with doctors. I met with cardiologists, and there's still some unknowns. I just want to make sure that everything's all right if I do come back and play."

Hoiberg said he believes he could make an impact with a team if he returned this season. He would become the first player in the NBA with a pacemaker.

"Nobody's ever played with my condition right now, and that's the problem we're facing," Hoiberg said. "You can't quantify the risk because nobody's ever done it."
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    ISU filled the vacany, so Fred's out of luck.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2378077

Source: Iowa State hires N. Iowa coach McDermott

By Andy Katz
    ESPN.com

Iowa State will announce Northern Iowa's Greg McDermott as its next men's basketball coach at a news conference later today, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com Tuesday morning.

Greg McDermott took Northern Iowa to three NCAA Tournaments.
    McDermott replaces Wayne Morgan, who was abruptly fired Thursday after three seasons.

McDermott told Northern Iowa athletic director Rick Hartzell late Monday night. A team meeting was scheduled for noon Tuesday to let the players know of McDermott's decision. McDermott led Northern Iowa to its third consecutive NCAA Tournament, losing to Georgetown in the first round last week in Dayton.

McDermott interviewed with Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard on Sunday in Iowa City. McDermott also interviewed with Kansas State on Monday in Chicago. A source told ESPN.com that McDermott was offered both jobs.

Meanwhile, a source said Northern Iowa is expected to promote assistant Ben Jacobson to replace McDermott. That announcement could come as early as Wednesday morning.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread