+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sam Smith: Pistons role models for Bulls (old thread updated)

Blog Entries
    http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....3953185.story?

Paxson: Thomas delusional

By Marlen Garcia
    Tribune staff reporter

March 29, 2006, 10:01 PM CST

Bulls general manager John Paxson reached a boiling point Wednesday and fired back at one-time Bull Tim Thomas for saying he could have helped the Bulls win 20 more games this season and advance to the playoffs.

On a morning radio show, Paxson responded by calling Thomas "delusional" and said the ninth-year forward reported to training camp out of shape in October.

Thomas, now with the Suns, made the remark in a published report, and it wasn't the first time he has criticized the Bulls. He spent less than two months with the Bulls before Paxson asked him to stay home until he could be traded or waived.

Paxson didn't back off his comment when he spoke to reporters at the Berto Center after Bulls practice.

"I am not going to apologize for us having a certain standard," Paxson said. "That's what it comes down to. He didn't fit into that standard. He can say whatever he wants. He's entitled to that. But so can I.

"I'm not going to apologize for asking our players to work hard and be in shape and those types of things. It's really as simple as that. If he thinks we would have won 20 more games with him, then I used the right word this morning on the radio."

In his short stay with the Bulls, Thomas had his work ethic questioned by the staff. In the past, Paxson had softened his words to describe the falling out between the team and Thomas. That wasn't the case Wednesday.

"We like guys who want to be on the practice floor and try to get better," he said. "With a young basketball team, that's important. In the last couple of years, we have gotten rid of players who didn't fit that model.

"You can say whatever you want about us not winning as many games. That's fine. But we're trying to build something here and we're going to build it the way [coach Scott Skiles] and I want it built, and with the type of people we want to build it with. And it's as simple as that."

Thomas was acquired in October from the Knicks in the Eddy Curry trade but played in only three games before the Bulls asked him to stay home. He was waived March 1 and signed with the Suns, for whom he is averaging 11.4 points per game.

Skiles declined to comment.

"I'm sure John's comments speak for themselves," he said.
    Find a new slant.

LOL! For once I agree with Paxson.

I can see where Thomas was coming from - 51 wins right now with him in the lineup isn't that far fetched. It's too bad Dumars couldn't get ahold of him so we could be undefeated to this point in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Sorta off-topic, but not completely.

What if Chicago offers a max year max money deal come the off-season?? I could see them doing so, because they want that work ethic example and it would be hurting the Pistons at the same time.

I know Ben is loyal to the Pistons, but I also don't believe he could turn down such an offer unless we were in the ballpark, and I don't know if Davidson would be willing to enter that ballpark. Is Dumars and Co. willing to give the 32 yr old Ben Wallace a five yr $70M+ contract?? Business is business.
    In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Does Skiles really want them to be like us and bitch about
    calls all the time? LMFAO@Skiles. What a douche.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo

What if Chicago offers a max year max money deal come the off-season?? I could see them doing so, because they want that work ethic example and it would be hurting the Pistons at the same time.

I know Ben is loyal to the Pistons, but I also don't believe he could turn down such an offer unless we were in the ballpark, and I don't know if Davidson would be willing to enter that ballpark. Is Dumars and Co. willing to give the 32 yr old Ben Wallace a five yr $70M+ contract?? Business is business.
    Pistons are used to winning. Ben doesn't like to lose after winning for so long. Older players conserve more money then younger players (old money vs young money theory), so they need less money to stay comfortable. I highly doubt at this point in his career that ben is going to take more money, over the chance to cement himself in nba history. Entering your 30's is the time you start thinking about leaving a legacy behind, not starting anew. Ben isn't going anywhere, he doesn't even want an agent involved in his negotiation with the Pistons, just a Lawyer to explain to the legal term details and get it done.

Chauncey on the other hand, is a more up in the air situation. I could see him being wooed by a team like Denver, being that it's his hometown. I don't think he'll be going anywhere either though.

Innovative Music Production.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo

Ben no longer has an agent. He fired him and told Joe D to prepare a fair contract for him to sign. Ben already elected not to exercise an option a couple years ago which allowed him to void this deal and become an UFA, I don't think he's looking to leave over cash.

Agreed. You need to be a super-pressimist to even CONSIDER the idea of Ben Wallace leaving Detroit.

Blog Entries
    Mike, Houston TX: What are the chances that the overrated Ben Wallace does not re-sign this offseason with the Pistons?

Chris Sheridan: (1:26 PM ET ) I spoke with Ben about it on Tuesday night. He's doing his deal without an agent, which has to mean he's going to stay in Detroit. If he was going to play the market, he's have an agent do it. He's more concerned about not having to pay an agent four percent of his contract at this point in his career.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Mike, Houston TX: What are the chances that the overrated Ben Wallace does not re-sign this offseason with the Pistons?

Chris Sheridan: (1:26 PM ET ) I spoke with Ben about it on Tuesday night. He's doing his deal without an agent, which has to mean he's going to stay in Detroit. If he was going to play the market, he's have an agent do it. He's more concerned about not having to pay an agent four percent of his contract at this point in his career.
    This is probably just some bullshit posted by a Spurs fan. According to this guy he is overrated and yet he is worried enough about the Piston's keeping him that he went on ESPN to ask about it.
    \"I tried to teach my dog safe sex but he kept licking off the rubbers.\"
    Larry the Cable Guy

+ Reply to Thread