+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9
FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Notes (Updated: Todd Jones placed on DL)

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Not until he starts throwing strikes.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

Blog Entries
    I read yesterday that they are trying to trade German as quickly as possible.
    Find a new slant.

Percival will work as scout during season

From closing to advance work: Troy Percival visited the Tiger clubhouse on Wednesday, but not for any new comeback. The only attempt he's making is in a new line of work; he'll work this year as an advance scout for the club, looking for tendencies among pitchers and hitters for his teammates to watch.

The idea came up during a meeting with front-office officials on what he could do during the season, while he's still under contract and on the disabled list with a career-ending muscle tear near his elbow. Percival is already well-versed in video work and spotting tendencies. He'll travel to Texas this week to get a look at the Rangers, but he'll do most of his work this season at home watching games on television.

"It's not something I want to make a career out of," Percival said. "It fills a need the Tigers have. Ideally, I'd like to be in a uniform and on the field."

After seeing the reports that scouts file, though, Percival said he has a whole new respect for them. What Percival hopes to bring to the job is a different set of eyes that have been on the field recently.

"A lot of players want different things," Percival said. "And I know these guys. One guy might want to know approach. One guy might want to know his favorite pitch in this particular count. I've been walking around asking guys what kind of stuff they want."

Leyland wants a whole different scouting report. "He's the highest paid scout in the country," Leyland joked. "He's a trooper, but we knew that. I told him to find me the best place to buy a good pair of cowboy boots when I go there [to Texas]."
    http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp...=.jsp&c_id=det

Talk to the kids: So why was Leyland nervous Thursday? He was set to address the entire Minor League camp in the morning, something player development director Glenn Ezell asked Trammell to do last year, and Leyland this year.

Leyland used his 20-minute speech to tell the farmhands what he believes it takes to make it in baseball, talk about getting a chance, and explain how he believes players should go about their business.

"I told them I was interested in players, not athletes," Leyland said. "I want a baseball player. I can find a lot of guys who can dunk a basketball. I can also find a lot of guys who can't hit one. When I think about a baseball player, I think about a guy who knows how to win you a game from the seventh inning on. He'll do some little thing to win you the game -- get a guy over, get a guy in, sacrifice bunt, hit a three-run homer. Those are the guys that I want. I made it pretty obvious."

German was waived today.

About fucking time they let German go. Zumaya will step in and be a much better option anyway. Zumaya>German any day of the week.
    \"I tried to teach my dog safe sex but he kept licking off the rubbers.\"
    Larry the Cable Guy

Quote Originally Posted by The Archdiocese
    German was waived today.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I guess nobody wanted to give anything up for him.

Somebody will sign him.
    Find a new slant.

I guess nobody wanted to give anything up for him.

Somebody will sign him.
    Yeah a team would have been crazy to give anything up for him with all the rumors of him being let go floating around.
    \"I tried to teach my dog safe sex but he kept licking off the rubbers.\"
    Larry the Cable Guy

Injury could mean DL for Jones
    Tigers closer feels hamstring pop in Spring Training finale

Last game of Spring Training. Bottom of the ninth inning. Two out. For Todd Jones, it was a worst-case scenario.

At first, a little stiffness. And then, a pop.

Pulled hamstring. Likely trip to the disabled list.

"This is exactly the way I drew it up. This is perfect ... exactly what I wanted to see happen," said a frustrated Jones at his locker following the 4-3 win. "Looks like I have to take a 15-day timeout. I'm hoping it's not too bad, and we'll see what happens."

The 37-year-old right-hander had battled soreness in his left hamstring since Monday's game against Houston, but said he thought he'd just overextended a muscle. He rested two days and felt fine through a scoreless inning Thursday. On Saturday, Jones said he got loose and again said he felt fine.

Until the last batter of the exhibition season.

After feeling what he called "a little pop" on a 1-1 cutter to Rays right fielder Joey Gathright, Jones tried to throw one more. His last pitch went high and hit just 87 mph on the radar, after which he motioned to catcher Vance Wilson, who turned to the dugout after a quick chat with Jones.

Detroit head trainer Kevin Rand told manager Jim Leyland he felt a definite knot in Jones' upper leg, but because of the short time frame between the injury and game's conclusion, couldn't elaborate as to the extent of the injury.

Despite the bad timing, Leyland remained optimistic.

"We have to go do battle with what we've got, and hopefully we get Todd back as soon as possible, have him healthy," Leyland said. "We've got 162 games, he's going to pitch a lot, and he's going to save a lot of games. I don't like it any more than anyone else. ... But those things happen and that's the way it is."

Leyland said he wanted time to mull things over before deciding who would fill the closer's role in Jones' absence, but it is assumed the ball most likely will fall to Fernando Rodney. The 29-year-old righty earned nine saves in 15 chances after assuming the closer's role after Kyle Farnsworth was traded. Rodney has had arguably the strongest spring of the contenders, carrying a 3.00 ERA through six innings with eight strikeouts and two walks.

Guillen finishes strong: One of the major questions this spring has been how well Carlos Guillen's back will hold up. He has been hit-and-miss since returning from the World Baseball Classic, leaving some games early with tightness, being scratched completely from others with spasms. Leyland was hopeful he'd see Guillen play seven innings Saturday, and the shortstop didn't disappoint, finishing 1-for-2 with a double and a walk in eight innings.

He didn't get any help from Casey Fossum, who plunked the shortstop in the leg during his first at-bat. Guillen hobbled down to first but showed no lasting harm was done by stealing second three pitches later.

Roster set: The 25-man roster, pending any move that might be made as a result of Jones' condition, was officially set before the Tigers broke camp. The club purchased from Triple-A Toledo the contracts of left-handed pitcher Bobby Seay and second baseman Ramon Santiago, and designated righty Franklyn German and catcher Rob Bowen for assignment. Detroit placed right-hander Craig Dingman on the 15-day DL (shoulder surgery) and Troy Percival on the 60-day DL (torn muscle in his right elbow).

Lineup locked: Barring any unforeseen problems, Leyland said the lineup Detroit used Saturday against the Rays would stand for Opening Day as well. The only significant change between Saturday's lineup and that of March 25, one he also fingered as a probable Opener list, was that first baseman Chris Shelton batted sixth and Guillen eighth, instead of the other way around.

"That's right on the button, if everybody stays healthy," he said.

Smashing spring: The Tigers finished in the top five in several AL team hitting and pitching categories in the Grapefruit League this spring, including batting average (.292, tied for fifth through Friday), runs scored (197) and RBIs (189, second). Detroit led all AL teams with 349 hits and 55 home runs. The Tigers also led the AL in saves (16).

Individually, Curtis Granderson led the Grapefruit League with 18 runs scored and 14 walks. He finished tied for third with 26 hits and six homers, and ranked in the top 10 in nearly every other offensive category.

Quotable: "The game's still catch it, throw it, hit it, pitch it...I'm old, but I'm not old school. I play the game."
    -- Leyland

Grilli makes the club: Jason Grilli couldn't wait any longer to find out if he was on the club, so he talked to Leyland on Friday morning. He got the answer he wanted, making an Opening Day for the second time in his career, the last time being 2001.

"Hopefully, I can make a habit of it," he said. "The best way I can express my gratitude is hopefully prove they made the right decision."

Grilli will be the long reliever in Detroit's bullpen.

+ Reply to Thread