+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Notes (Updated: Todd Jones placed on DL)

Spring Training Notes (Updated: Todd Jones placed on DL)

Yeah, I don't have many notes yet, but I guess it's not necessarily the offseason now that pitchers and catchers have reported, so that can be un-stickied.

I like the fact that Bonderman is NOT on the 30 man roster for the WBC. That means all 5 starters (regardless of who the 5th ends up being) are in camp right now working with the new staff. Something about that makes me more comfortable. Of course, Pudge will be in the WBC so someone else will be catching them most of the time, but that kind of needs to happen eventually anyhow.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I'm preparing myself for my annual ritual:

Right now, I'm still of right mind, and have absolutely no real hope of the Tigers contending, and really not of even getting to .500.

Over the next few weeks, I'll read all the fluff from the beat weriters, and slowly start to come around to the idea that "Hey, if everything falls right, these guys just might have a shot! Look at what the Sox did last year, everyone had them pegged for 3rd, maybe even 4th."

By Opening Day, I'll be fairly sure that the Tigers are gonna win 85 games or so, and with the right bounces at the right times, the Wild Card could be theirs. Dreams of Zumaya coming up in late July to give us the push we need will bounce through my head.

By May 1st, I'll be a Dodgers fan.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

I just read on tigerscentral.com that Verlander right now is the #5 starter. Anyone know if this is true?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    I just read on tigerscentral.com that Verlander right now is the #5 starter. Anyone know if this is true?
    I don't think that true.

He is in contention for the #5 spot with Colon and Zumaya, with Verlander being the favorite.

Hello all from sunny Lakeland. We got real lucky, because it appears the Lakeland cold spell (it was 29 the other night) passed just before we got here. Anyway, the first workout was today, and here are a few highlights:

1. Leyland looked genuinely excited and antsy about the first meeting and first workout, and a little relieved after it was over and went well. That's a good sign, because it means he's as into it as he has said he would be.

2. The reaction from the players to Leyland has been good. Pudge said today ``He's the manager we need.'' Things can change, but Leyland wants the veterans to give him a chance and it appears that at least for now they will.

3. No question Pudge seems more relaxed than he was last spring, although he's reluctant to talk comparisons himself.

4. Speaking of which, Leyland has outlawed comparisons between last year and this year. He's still extremely sensitive to anything that hints at criticism of Tram.

5. Percival is here, and threw off the mound along with the other pitchers. Right now he's only throwing every fifth day. The chances of him on the opening day roster still look slim, especially since the Tigers can collect insurance money if he's on the DL.

6. Kyle Sleeth is here and throwing, too. Only fastballs and changeups for now, but he said he hopes to be game-ready by opening day. Not bad for someone who had Tommy John surgery last June.

7. No great surprises about how anyone looks. Pudge actually put on a little weight, but only a half-dozen pounds, so it's not really noticeable. Craig Monroe isn't here yet, but I hear he may win the award for best offseason makeover. They say he's in the best shape of his career.

8. They have the pitchers taking ground balls in the infield, and Leyland says they'll do it every day. The idea is that by taking more grounders they'll become better fielders. We'll see.

9. Not that anyone should care this early in camp, but Leyland says the opening day roster will have 12 pitchers, and that while he prefers more than one LH in the pen, he'll go with the 7 best relievers, whoever they are.
    http://www.mlive.com/forums/tigers/i...f?artid=154440

Quote Originally Posted by H1Man
    I don't think that true.

He is in contention for the #5 spot with Colon and Zumaya, with Verlander being the favorite.

Ok, just wondering. That sorta shocked me when I read it.

While Leyland isn't ready for an official announcement, he left little doubt Monday that left-handed pitcher Kenny Rogers will start on opening day. If he does start, Rogers will be the fifth different opening day starter in as many years, and the 13th in the 16 years since Jack Morris left the Tigers. . . . Right-hander Craig Dingman, who had an outside shot to make the Tiger bullpen, hasn't been able to pitch because of a torn artery in his right shoulder. It's an unusual injury, one that scared Dingman when he started to throw three weeks ago and noticed that his forearm had turned purple and his hand turned white. "I went to (assistant trainer) Doug Teter,'' Dingman said. "He was like, `Holy Cow, what did you do?' I told him I was just playing catch.'' . . . One of the more impressive pitchers early in camp has been right-handed reliever Matt Mantei, who once saved 29 games in a season for Arizona but has spent much of his career on the disabled list. If he stays healthy, Mantei could easily make the team. . . . Left-hander Wil Ledezma has also thrown well. Ledezma admitted that he didn't handle things well when the Tigers sent him to Triple-A Toledo last June. "Now I feel great,'' he said. . . . The first full-squad workout is today, and the biggest surprise might be that Leyland intends to have his pitchers take batting practice. "I don't believe that you wait until five days before the start of interleague play,'' Leyland explained.
    http://www.mlive.com/tigers/stories/...940.xml&coll=1

Meh, I'd like to see Bonderman start Opening day again

Meh, I'd like to see Bonderman start Opening day again
    I am not sure how well that would work out. If we start Bonderman, we will have three straight lefties in the rotation. We need more balance.

L - Rogers (Opening Day starter)
    R - Bonderman
    L - Robertson
    R - Colon/Verlander/Zoom
    L - Maroth

I like Bonderman at #2. It gives him some better matchups against opposing pitchers and should help his W/L a little bit. Rogers can handle the pressure of #1 and has proven that for a good part of his career. I'm more inclined to have Maroth as the #3 over Robertson, just because Maroth's style is so different from Bonderman while Robertson is another power guy, but then again, they might likely be ok with those two lefties back-to-back unless one of the candidates for the 5 spot REALLY steps up.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

+ Reply to Thread