+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NBC acquires Al Michaels from ABC for Oswald the Rabbit

Blog Entries

NBC acquires Al Michaels from ABC for Oswald the Rabbit

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=1598907

Al Michaels moves to NBC Sun. NFL games

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK -- Al Michaels is moving to NBC and will broadcast Sunday night NFL games with John Madden, his partner on ABC during the past four seasons.

In exchange for letting Michaels out of his contract with ABC and ESPN, which are owned by The Walt Disney Co., NBC Universal sold ESPN cable rights to Friday coverage of the next four Ryder Cups, granted ESPN increased usage of Olympic highlights and sold to The Walt Disney Co. the rights to "Oswald the Lucky Rabbit," a character in silent cartoons made by Walt Disney from 1927-28.

Michaels had been with ABC since 1976 and was the play-by-play announcer on "Monday Night Football" since 1986. He said in July that he would stay with the network to become the announcer for ESPN's Monday night broadcasts, which start this year.

Michaels' mind changed during the past season, realizing he wanted to work with Madden, producer Fred Gaudelli and director Drew Esocoff, who also are moving from ABC to NBC.

"I began to realize more and more how much I was going to miss being with those people," Michaels said Thursday on a conference call. "That's my family, that's my broadcasting family."

Michaels had hoped to finish the current NBA season as ABC/ESPN's lead announcer. He is being replaced by Mike Breen.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    ABC trades:
    Al Michaels

NBC trades:
    Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
    Friday Ryder Cup "action"
    Some Olympic footage

TRADE ACCEPTED
    Find a new slant.

I think ABC came out ahead in this trade. They get an experienced veteran in Rabbit, a solid contributer in Ryder, and a lot of potential in Olympic. Michaels isn't getting any younger. Look for NBC to start falling out of the picture a little.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

A good trade.

Oswald returns home after almost 80 years in exile. *sniff* *sniff*.

It's so heartwarming.... I...I promisd myself I wouldn't cry.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by dennymclain
    A good trade.

Oswald returns home after almost 80 years in exile. *sniff* *sniff*.

It's so heartwarming.... I...I promisd myself I wouldn't cry.
    fucking animators and their love for the toons. its fucking disgusting.

no this isnt Denny. I think. Also i think its a monumental trade myself. al michaels is a douche.

Only downside to this trade is more super repeats of Al micheals voice on Madden 2007 thanks to him still getting to roll with his buddy John.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

You don't...GET it, do you?

If it wuzn't for Oswald, there would be no Mickey Mouse.

You know that character, don't you? The mouse that was bigtime popular for 5 years before Popeye bitched his ass worldwide, and Donald Duck began owning him at his own studio? After that, he stuck around until the early 1950's, then faded into the archives as Goofy and Pluto began to run the show, periodically....

Am I boring you yet?

..periodically showing up on a lame theatrical short, but only as a foil for another character's comedy.

Definitely one of the lamest animated characters ever.

Do you even care?

+ Reply to Thread