+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: East All Stars revealed [4 pistons]

Blog Entries

East All Stars revealed [4 pistons]

And LB says he's voting for all of the Pistons starters because they got snubbed.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/59813.htm

STAR SEARCH IS ON

By Peter Vecsey

February 7, 2006 -- With the NBA set to announce the remainder of the All-Star rosters the day after tomorrow, it's time for our annual game of Reserve Judgment.

I've always had three simple rules when it comes to nominations to my bench:

1) Players from losing outfits need not apply;

2) Make up for the miscarriage of justice accorded Pistons;

3) Ted Kennedy has to hate you.

Evidently, a billion Chinese ignored my policy, giving starting nods to a pair of Rockettes (Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady) whose team is slated for Secaucus. Even if that should not happen, I submit, look for Pat Riley to succeed Jeff Van Gundy.

Allen Iverson and Kobe Bryant (both 24-23 at the beginning of the week), as well as Jermaine O'Neal (23-22) got voted in as starters but barely pass the smell test.

That means Kevin (21-25) Garnett, an All-Star every season there was a game since sophomore year, is hereby flatlined from the festivities. Sorry, KG, I don't make the rules. Oh, wait. Yes, I do.

Gilbert (World's Most Famous) Arenas, at 22-23, also gets a weekend pass. As do double your pleasure Dwight Howard (league's leading rebounder) and Chris Bosh (a legit franchise player in the making), as much as it grieves me.

As for those I'd invite to Houston to backup Yao, Tim Duncan, McGrady, Kobe and Steve Nash in the West . . .

Carmelo Anthony: With eight wins in the last dozen games during the midst of a mini-mutiny being waged by Kenyon Martin against George Karl, the Nuggets are showing longer flashes of last season, when they finished by winning 32 of their final 40. Mellow Yellow has led Denver in scoring in the last 14 games, once tied with Earl Boykins. Plus, he's passing more (eight assists to go along with 33 points last Saturday against Portland and the coaching staff and his teammates are enjoying it more.

Elton Brand: A large part of why my Paper Clips are in rarified air is because of his MVP-type donation. He's 11th in scoring (25.1) — no one ahead of him is shooting close to his 52.6 from the field — and is sixth in boarding (10.3). Bulls managing partner Jerry Reinsdorf might want to re-hire Jerry Krause just so he can re-fire him again.

Shawn Marion: Career-best 21.5 ppg and 51.4 FG pct. It's impossible to imagine his defense against all comers at all positions being any better this year than it's been in the past.

Dirk Nowitzki: Might very well be the NBA' s most efficient scorer per shot; 7-foot layer forward is definitely one of its toughest defensive assignments. Mavericks entered the week having won 11 in a row chiefly because he's ninth in scoring (25.4).

Pau Gasol: Came thisclose to getting berth a year ago. This season he's become a genuine go-to-guy and is enjoying career stats (19.7 ppg, 9.2 rpg). Since Grizzlies have neither won a playoff game nor had an All-Star in their 11-year history, this could be the biggest thing to happen to Spain since the Inquisition.

Chris Paul: Rules requiring a second center may prohibit him from making the squad (Marcus Camby certainly has done nothing to disqualify himself other than breaking a finger) and that would be a shame for anyone who hasn't caught his enthralling act. Leads all plebes in scoring (16.6), assists (7.7) and double-doubles (14), among other achievements. Is, by far, the biggest reason the Hornets have become relevant in a year, mind you, everyone expected them to compete for the league's worst record. Why not just save time and give him rookie honors hardware during All-Star weekend?

Tony Parker: A point guard who's an unheard-of second in the league in field goal pct at 54.8. You got to be kidding. Life-best 19.4 ppg and he gets to date Ms. Longoria. Talk about a score!

In view of the fans' snub of the Pistons when choosing Shaq, LeBron, Jermaine, Iverson and Dwyane Wade, Next Town Brown said he's voting for all five Detroit starters as All-Star reinforcements. As I've always said, if it works for Larry, then 80 percent of it works for me.

David Stern is almost certain to replace the injured Jermaine with Rasheed Wallace, whereas Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton and Ben Wallace easily qualify in my world. On the other hand, as much as I appreciate everything Tayshaun Prince contributes to the success of Detroit, neither he nor Epiphanny Prince deserve an all-expense-paid invite in my world.

Vince Carter: Owns a 51-point game at Miami and a 42-pointer at his former mailing address, Air Canada Centre. Would have received more support, but fans were convinced All-Star voting wasn't as warm and fuzzy as Corzine-Forrester.

Michael Redd: Bucks are six games better than a season ago. I suspect there's a correlation between that and his career-best 25.2. Also, he's the first guy on record to take big money from a senator, instead of the other way around.

Jason Kidd: He's shooting just 42.3 pct from field, and that's his best figure since '99. Regardless, he's sixth in the league in both assists (7.9) and steals (1.96) while hovering around his usual 15 points per. Moreover, even Joumana is having a better season than Stephon Marbury.

Zydrunas Ilgauskas: Putting up solid numbers (16.0 ppg, 7.4 rpg) and has missed but one game in first 46. For the fourth consecutive season, his feet are happy. Z's health can't help but tied to LeBron's decision whether or not to extend with the Cavaliers at the end of this season.

Say this much for Madison Square Garden: The building has everything — basketball action, hockey action and class action.
    Find a new slant.

With eight wins in the last dozen games during the midst of a mini-mutiny being waged by Kenyon Martin against George Karl
    What's this about?
    STEW BEEF!

I'm pretty sure that Stern won't give 'Sheed the All-Star nod. We all know their feelings towards each other. Unless Stern wants to punish him and make him go.

It's good that Flip will be coaching. I'm sure he's smart enough to only play his guys a tiny bit so they can nurse their injuries, especially Chauncey.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

I think Stern will send Sheed. Stern's a suckup to the fans. He'll want to go along with the voters. I can't believe this guy wants big Z over Bosh or Howard though.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    "This guy" is Vecsey. It's just his opinion, but he stresses in the article that players on losing teams shouldn't get the opportunity to be All-Stars.
    Find a new slant.

I'm Varsity chump. You're J.V.
    Excerpt from the NY Daily News:

Quote Originally Posted by daily news
    Brown voted for all five Pistons starters to make the East All-Star team and at least three - Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton and Ben Wallace - made it as reserves, according to a league source. It is unclear if Rasheed Wallace will join them. Toronto's Chris Bosh made the cut while the Nets' Jason Kidd and Washington's Gilbert Arenas did not make it, according to the source. Kidd or Arenas could be chosen by NBA commissioner David Stern as a replacement for Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal, who was voted a starter by the fans but will not play because of a groin injury.
    I hope that Stern bring's Sheed. Has a team ever had 4 all stars at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Varsity
    I hope that Stern bring's Sheed. Has a team ever had 4 all stars at the same time?
    Twice.

The Lakers in 1998 (Shaq, Kobe, Eddie Jones and NVE)
    The Sixers in 1983 (Dr J, Moses Malone, Mo Cheeks, Andrew Toney)
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

I'm Varsity chump. You're J.V.
    I should have known the Sixers one, I think someone mentioned it before...did not know the Lakers one, interesting. Was that team even close to winning anything?

PS. Thanks for the edit of my post above...to whoever did it

WDFN is reporting that sources are saying that Ben, RIP, and Chauncey are locks.

Also, some NY paper is reporting that LB did in fact vote for all 5 piston starters.

East All Stars revealed [4 pistons]

EAST ALL-STAR RESERVES REVEALED
    By PETER VECSEY

February 9, 2006 -- The Nets' Vince Carter and four Pistons are among the seven Eastern All-Star reserves to be officially announced today, The Post has learned.

But in a huge surprise, the Wizards' Gilbert Arenas, the fifth-leading scorer in the league, was left off the reserve squad in voting by Eastern coaches.

That could be remedied, however, when Commissioner David Stern personally selects the replacement for injured starter Jermaine O'Neal of the Pacers.

Carter joins Pistons Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace, Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton as reserves.

Tayshaun Prince is the only Piston starter not selected.

Also on the East's reserve squad are two surprises, from struggling teams — Paul Pierce of the Celtics and Chris Bosh of the Raptors.

Besides O'Neal, fans voted as East starters: Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade of the Heat, LeBron James of the Cavs and Allen Iverson of the Sixers.

The West starters are Houston's Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant of the Lakers, Tim Duncan of the Spurs and Steve Nash of the Suns.

The West reserves were not available.
    HOLY SHIT WHERE'S STEVE FRANCHISE §§???

+ Reply to Thread