+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Hermann to the Jets

First off, can we rename this thread? Maybe Michigan Coaching Changes?

Here are some new develpments and tidbits.

Ron English will reportedly be the new defensive coordinator althought it has not been confirmed. Hermann may become the LB coach of the Jets or may even stay at U-M as the special teams coordinator. Also, English is very excited about Michigan's chances next year. He said this after initially accepting the Bears' offer.
    "This team is in great shape," he said. "There are a ton of great players coming back. You lose Gabe Watson and Pierre Woods on defense, along with Grant Mason. You lose two or three linemen on offense, and one of the tight ends.

"But this team is loaded. It's loaded. This team should win the championship next year."
    On the offensive side of the ball, Mike DeBored has given his first interview, and I gotta admit I like what he's saying.
    "Football changes every year," DeBord said. "The key thing in coaching is looking at your players and doing what they can do. We basically played to the strengths of our players that year [1997]." The biggest thing with football [now] is, you've got to score points. What we did back then, especially in the national championship year, was really try to possess the ball, keep it as much as possible, but we didn't have to score as many points."

"Well, in today's football, you've got to score more points, so you've got to do some different things. I think that's the biggest change."

My philosophy is, you've got to be able to control the football and keep the defense off [the field]. To do that, you've got to be able to run very effectively and throw the ball very effectively. You've got to take shots at times in the game and put the ball down the field. But the biggest thing is being effective."

"With any offense, you want to look at what the defense can give you, and take advantage of that. The biggest thing we have to do is do what our kids can do. We feel like we've got excellent players here, and we want to put them in a position to run an effective offense, where you are controlling the ball, scoring, and we feel like we've got great perimeter players, with receivers and backs. We've got to put the ball out there to them."

On Receivers Steve Breaston and Mario Manningham: "They're great players, and very special. They can do a lot of things with the ball. You add Antonio Bass, and we've got a really good corps out there. We've got to be able to get the football to them so they can make plays."

"We're going to put the ball in [Bass'] hands, like we will other guys, guys who are playmakers. We'll have some things for him, obviously, just because he's such a great talent
    ."
    Cool.

Mood

"The Forcier is strong with this one." - Boda.

Enlgish is the DC and Hermann is off to the jets.

Havent heard on who the LB/DB coach is going to be yet.

Art
    What is a budkow.....isnt that something I shit out of?

Steve Szabo LB coach (has NFL exp) and Ron Lee DB coach from Wisconsin. He has West Coast ties.

Art

Are these speculated names or hires Art?
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Ok, I tried looking up these names. Looks like Szabo has been with the Bills most recently but the majority of his experience comes with DB's. Now he is switching to LB's. What does that tell you about the type of defense we will have? As for Lee, if he has West Coast ties I'm guessing that speaks for him, with English, strenghtening our recruiting efforts out there.

They have been announced WTKA (hope that is right). Szabo has been hired. Lee I am less certain about, but he is friends with English.

Let me go see if I can find something.

Art

Here is his bio. Was LB coach for 8 years with the Jags from 95 until 2002. He has coached under Bellicheck. He has Pennsyvlania recruiting ties. I bet he is the RC though. He is 62, but that aint no big deal. Seems like a decent hire. He was LB under Coughlin.

http://web.archive.org/web/200502050...sp?coach_id=14

Art

Ok, so maybe he didn't have mostly DB experience. Man, his squads have been quite successful. This is a nice hire. Experience to work with the young English.

Ok, found this about Lee. Not as good.

This was in the newspaper prior to Wisconsin's final regular season game this past year. Incidentally, they won 41-24 but allowed 403 passing yards and 3 passing TD's while intercepting one pass.

KEY MATCHUP
    UH receivers coach Ron Lee vs. UW secondary coach Ron Lee
    OK, so we're having a little fun here. But UH's passing attack against Wisconsin's secondary is certainly a major element of today's game.
    The Badgers have been torched several times and will be tested by the Warriors' young but talented receivers.

Hawaii's prolific run-and-shoot offense generates 388.2 yards per game, second in the nation.

Wisconsin allows 246.2 passing yards per game but has 14 interceptions. Jack Ikegwuonu and Roderick Rodgers lead with three picks apiece.

Hawaii's Ron Lee has coached the Warriors receivers since 1999. He was previously the offensive coordinator at Saint Louis School and head coach at Kaiser High School, and both stints were very successful with the run-and-shoot.

Wisconsin's Ron Lee is in his third year as the Badgers secondary coach. He played in the 1988 Aloha Bowl as a Washington State defensive back. This is his sixth visit to Aloha Stadium. He coached at Colorado State when it was in the WAC.

The Ron Lees have matched up twice before: The Wisconsin DBs coach was defensive coordinator and handled the secondary at San Jose State in 2001 and 2002.

From TheWolverine...Free...

The secret was out of the bag last week -- former secondary coach Ron English, who had taken a job with the Chicago Bears, would return to Michigan to coordinate the defense. On Tuesday, head coach Lloyd Carr made it official, while also introducing Ron Lee and Steve Szabo as defensive coaches. Lee will coach the cornerbacks, and Szabo the linebackers.

Lee has 17 years of collegiate coaching
    experience, spending the past three seasons as the defensive backs coach at the University of Wisconsin (2003-05). Prior to his appointment with the Badgers, Lee was the defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach at San Jose State for two seasons (2001-02). He spent eight seasons at Colorado State (1993-2000) and a year each at Idaho (1992) and Portland State (1991). Lee was a graduate assistant coach at Miami (Fla.) during the 1989-90
    seasons.

Szabo joins the Wolverine coaching staff after spending the past 12 years as an assistant coach in the NFL. He was the defensive backs coach the previous two seasons with the Buffalo Bills (2004-05) after working with the New England Patriots (2003).

Szabo was the linebackers coach for nine seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars (1994-2002). Prior to joining the professional ranks, he coached in college at John Hopkins, Toledo, Iowa, Syracuse, Iowa State, Ohio State, Western Michigan, Northern Iowa, Colorado State and Boston College.

Talk about it in: The Fort

+ Reply to Thread