First off, can we rename this thread? Maybe Michigan Coaching Changes?

Here are some new develpments and tidbits.

Ron English will reportedly be the new defensive coordinator althought it has not been confirmed. Hermann may become the LB coach of the Jets or may even stay at U-M as the special teams coordinator. Also, English is very excited about Michigan's chances next year. He said this after initially accepting the Bears' offer.
"This team is in great shape," he said. "There are a ton of great players coming back. You lose Gabe Watson and Pierre Woods on defense, along with Grant Mason. You lose two or three linemen on offense, and one of the tight ends.

"But this team is loaded. It's loaded. This team should win the championship next year."
On the offensive side of the ball, Mike DeBored has given his first interview, and I gotta admit I like what he's saying.
"Football changes every year," DeBord said. "The key thing in coaching is looking at your players and doing what they can do. We basically played to the strengths of our players that year [1997]." The biggest thing with football [now] is, you've got to score points. What we did back then, especially in the national championship year, was really try to possess the ball, keep it as much as possible, but we didn't have to score as many points."

"Well, in today's football, you've got to score more points, so you've got to do some different things. I think that's the biggest change."

My philosophy is, you've got to be able to control the football and keep the defense off [the field]. To do that, you've got to be able to run very effectively and throw the ball very effectively. You've got to take shots at times in the game and put the ball down the field. But the biggest thing is being effective."

"With any offense, you want to look at what the defense can give you, and take advantage of that. The biggest thing we have to do is do what our kids can do. We feel like we've got excellent players here, and we want to put them in a position to run an effective offense, where you are controlling the ball, scoring, and we feel like we've got great perimeter players, with receivers and backs. We've got to put the ball out there to them."

On Receivers Steve Breaston and Mario Manningham: "They're great players, and very special. They can do a lot of things with the ball. You add Antonio Bass, and we've got a really good corps out there. We've got to be able to get the football to them so they can make plays."

"We're going to put the ball in [Bass'] hands, like we will other guys, guys who are playmakers. We'll have some things for him, obviously, just because he's such a great talent
."
Cool.

Mood