+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I admit I was wrong: Iraq War

I admit I was wrong: Iraq War

In the days leading up to the war in Iraq, during the war, and for a while after it, I was a staunch supporter of our actions.

But, I was wrong.

I was told that Iraq was a threat to the United States, they had weapons that could kill us, and were making plans to do so. I was told that Iraq and Saddam were part of the attacks on 9/11.

Needless to say I really supported the war.

But what I was told was wrong.

Iraq was no threat to us at all. They had no weapons that could kill us. And they were not associated with 9/11.

In the end, we have 2500 Americans that were around my age killed in Iraq. That number is still growing. Some of them were married, even had children. Some of them were starting great lives for the future. Towns were devastated when they lost a soldier. But at the time, it was comforting to know it was for a great cause. But it was not.

Yes, Saddam was bad. I know all the shit he did in Iraq and that was another reason why I supported the war. But who are we to play world police and crack down on all the bad governments in the world? We have a ways to go past Saddam. Iraqis needed to fight for their own freedom, like we did against the Britains.

Besides the death toll, the war costed us a boat-load when the National Debt is nearing on $9 trillion. But again, it was comforting to know it was going towards a good cause, protecting Americans. But it wasn't.

Oh yeah, and Osama Bin Laden and many of his friends are still running around in the mountains.

We tried to go through the United Nations. They didn't support it. But we spurned them anyways and went to war. Again, it was comfortable knowing it was for a good cause. But it wasn't.

And now looking at the after-effects of this war, they are frightening. The Middle-East hates America even more now. The Palastinians elected the leader of Hamas as their president. And Iraq is very unstable right now.

I don't know if we can ever leave there. Civil War is very possible the second we do. This country wasn't ready for freedom yet. They don't know how to handle it.

So, all-in-all, I'm very dissapointed in myself for being totally wrong on all of this, and I'm dissapointed that Bush & Friends rushed America into this terrible circumstance.

That post pretty much applies to me as well.

The sad thing is that they are talking about going into Iran. What a disaster that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCliffy
    The sad thing is that they are talking about going into Iran. What a disaster that would be.
    We have no money. We have no soldiers. The War would be even more unpopular than Vietnam. And it could be devastating.

We did the most absurd thing, if anyone is the threat, it's Iran, not Iraq. And Iran is plugging away at their nuclear program.

While we thought we did a great thing in getting rid of Saddam, one thing he always did was keep Iran in line. Iran knew as soon as they fucked up Saddam would run across their border and start another war as deadly as the 80's Iran-Iraq war.

So by storming Iraq, we just gave Iran the green light to just walk in and start a conquest of the middle east.

On a much smaller scale, we basically just took Hitler out of power and gave Stalin the keys to the entire region.

Quote Originally Posted by GotCrotty?
    So by storming Iraq, we just gave Iran the green light to just walk in and start a conquest of the middle east.
    Once we leave Iraq. Which is why I question, "Can we ever leave there?"

Quote Originally Posted by SKelly
    Quote Originally Posted by GotCrotty?
    Once we leave Iraq. Which is why I question, "Can we ever leave there?"
    No, because Arabs cant handle freedom. They need people like Saddam. They need people like Saddam to keep they're asses in check. Saddam made examples out of thousands of innocent people, but the rest kept right in line.

Bush did no favors by getting rid of him. The second the US backs out of Iraq, another terror group will take over and all your time money and effort will be wasted. Arabs are corrupt as hell. Its a war that cant be won no matter how long you fight. Hell, even now most of the police force that we’re training is already corrupt.

I said the same exact thing Anthony. Arabs don't want freedom and they can't handle it. You guys saw how the Muslims went crazy over a fucking cartoon burning down embassies.

I'm not worried about Iran attacking us at all. These countries aren't that stupid. They know if they send a nuke over here we will turn that whole fucking country into a parking lot over night.

These countries didn't attack us on 9/11. It was a group of mountain idiots in Afganistan, the ultimate 3rd world country. They have been the only terrorist group to carry out attacks against the United States, they've got nothing to lose really. Groups like Hamas will leave us alone because they fear us. We should put total focus on Al-Quaida. They got 9/11, the embassies, and the USS Cole.

I bet you still vote for Jeb or some other neocon scum bag in 08.

+ Reply to Thread