+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Today's Pistons v. '95-96 Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by geerussell
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    Gentlemen, we haven't even won the Championship this year, let alone last year. Let's talk about this in June.
    That's a tired old bit. People have been saying that since pre-season... don't talk about this, it's too early to talk about that... hell, don't talk about anything except how worried we are that everything will go horribly wrong... until june.

Thanks, but no thanks. I think I can manage this discussion without letting it affect my play on the court or my focus in practice or taking my opponents lightly. Oh, wait, that's right, we're not players... you almost made me forget.
    OR instead of being an asshole and thinking that I'm playing the jinx card, you could say that I don't even think the Pistons should be held as one of the elite teams until they actually WIN the championship.

This has nothing to do with "jinxing" the Pistons into losing. It has everything to do with the fact that they aren't accomplished enough be in talks with the greatest team ever.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

I don't even think the Pistons should be held as one of the elite teams until they actually WIN the championship.
    Great point. After all, this team hasn't proven it can win anything. If this current group had won a title or at least been to the finals a couple times, they might get the benefit of the doubt.

And you make a great point as well. This team not only rattled off 6 out of 8 championships, they also only lost 3 games in the entire 1996 playoffs.

Are the Pistons capable of doing that? Sure. But guess what? It's January. Last I checked the playoffs don't start until May. And I think the playoffs usually determine the NBA Champion, not a record of 37-5 at this mid-way point through the season.

I mean, while we're at it, we could also compare this years Duke team to the UCLA team from the 60s and 70s. Duke could win it this year!

MoTown is right.

But guess what? It's January. Last I checked the playoffs don't start until May.
    ...and you're back to the same old tired bit you started with. Guess what, everyone knows what month it is and when the playoffs start. That's not news... but there's always one designated chicken little in every thread with his "it's too early, don't talk about that... or anything else until june" routine.

And again you missed the point. This isn't about thinking that the Pistons can't win it, especially if we...gulp... talk about it. We can't even begin to compare a team that: was the best team two years ago, was the second best team last year, and could be the best team this year, to a team that went 72-10, 15-3 in the playoffs, and won 3 championships in a row.

If the Pistons do win it this year, which I firmly believe they will, then winning it two out of three years and, depending if they continue with their incredible record, we might be able to mention them in the same breath as the Chicago Bulls.

MoTown is right.

+ Reply to Thread