+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the Super Bowl in Detroit?

Why is the Super Bowl in Detroit?

First of all, the weather sucks here. The Super Bowl is meant to be in a warm area. The city of Detroit is dead. Their is little to nothing to see down there. They don't have space for all the parties so they are having them in abandoned warehouses. The money the city is wasting for nothing. I doubt many people are going to come back to visit Detroit for a vacation. Finally when the media arrives in a couple days we are going to hear this classic on the radio

"Jon Doe of the Oklahoma Herald wrote Detroit is a shithole, lets bombard him with emails and tell him he's wrong" but multiply this by 50. When we all know Detroit looks like a warzone.

Anyway, my point is that the Super Bowl should be in places like Miami, Tampa, New Orleans (Obviously not this year), Atlanta, Phoenix, LA, San Diego, Jacksonville, Houston, etc... Next week is a disaster waiting to happen.

Now that I'm on my rant, someone needs to tell channel 4 to STFU with super bowl parties. Unless you're rich, you can't get into these parties and who wants to go anyway? So I'll look like an idiot trying to hang out with millionaires. And how many people in the area are actually going to the Super Bowl with their $1000 tickets? Fuck the Super Bowl. I'm going to watch my Pistons championship dvd that night and I'm praying for 1 ft of snow next Sunday morning.

Re: Why is the Super Bowl in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCliffy
    Fuck the Super Bowl. I'm going to watch my Pistons championship dvd that night and I'm praying for 1 ft of snow next Sunday morning.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    you act as if this hasnt happened before. Ford Field is by far a better place than the previous domes that hosted the super bowl (pontiac silverdome and the superdome in N.O.) only dome even close to it was Atlanta's dome.

Not even a legit complaint. It's been in nothing to do ass pontiac. Why not have one in Detroit? Is this a "i didn't get invited to Hugh Hefner's playboy party" bitterness? If so, nevermind i'd be mad about that too.

Next thing you know it'll be a crime to have Car Show out here.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Havent there been a bunch of shops downtown along with resturants and shit? Too bad most will leave after the game, but still.

I'm Varsity chump. You're J.V.

Re: Why is the Super Bowl in Detroit?

First of all, the weather sucks here. The Super Bowl is meant to be in a warm area. The city of Detroit is dead. Their is little to nothing to see down there. They don't have space for all the parties so they are having them in abandoned warehouses. The money the city is wasting for nothing. I doubt many people are going to come back to visit Detroit for a vacation. Finally when the media arrives in a couple days we are going to hear this classic on the radio

"Jon Doe of the Oklahoma Herald wrote Detroit is a shithole, lets bombard him with emails and tell him he's wrong" but multiply this by 50. When we all know Detroit looks like a warzone.

Anyway, my point is that the Super Bowl should be in places like Miami, Tampa, New Orleans (Obviously not this year), Atlanta, Phoenix, LA, San Diego, Jacksonville, Houston, etc... Next week is a disaster waiting to happen.

Now that I'm on my rant, someone needs to tell channel 4 to STFU with super bowl parties. Unless you're rich, you can't get into these parties and who wants to go anyway? So I'll look like an idiot trying to hang out with millionaires. And how many people in the area are actually going to the Super Bowl with their $1000 tickets? Fuck the Super Bowl. I'm going to watch my Pistons championship dvd that night and I'm praying for 1 ft of snow next Sunday morning.
    I'm sure there are other valid points in there, but I stopped reading at the bolded. Jacksonville was known as the worst superbowl in yearsand the media ripped it a new asshole for having nothing to do, nowhere to eat, impossible traffic, and a average at best stadium. (They ripped Houston too...actually you can probably still find Bill Simmons article) If they say anything about one of the fattest cities (Detroit) in country, it certainly won't be that we didn't even have good food or a good stadium.

Rors-

I agree 100% on the facilities, and I'll take it a step further- it's the best dome in the NFL. After living in ATL for a few years I've gone to the dome a couple times...Ford Field KILLS it.(albeit the GA Dome is older)

You guys aren't grabbing the gist of my argument. Its not about domes. Its about city and location. Its too fucking cold and depressing to have a Super Bowl here. Atlanta has quite a nite scene from what I've heard. Detroit is going to be jacksonville + cold weather.

I'm Varsity chump. You're J.V.
    You guys aren't grabbing the gist of my argument. Its not about domes. Its about city and location. Its too fucking cold and depressing to have a Super Bowl here. Atlanta has quite a nite scene from what I've heard. Detroit is going to be jacksonville + cold weather.
    I see your point, but the only way that the city is ever going make any sort of a comeback is to keep getting these events- if you haven't noticed, with every all star game, super bowl, whatever else- More and more positive stuff happens. Be it knocking down ugly shit, renovating abandoned warehouses (even if for a club purposes, it's utilizing waste- like Snoop and Tiger stadium) or building new things. I love that the public spotlight is on us and I hope it stays there- shit is finally getting done. So why hate on the city getting better by saying we should never get shit? Most articles I read about the baseball all star game were positive..so apparently SOMEONE found something down there to do.

The city is never going to make a comeback. That was an old bit back in the mid 90's when Archer was elected. Only the people that live there can stop the violence, arson, and clean up their neighborhoods. The Super Bowl is the equivalent of painting a 150 year old house with a rotting foundation. Its funny how they put up new street lights, cleaned downtown, planted shit for these events. Maybe they should do this on a regular basis and we would never have gotten to Detroit looking like Kabul.

What does the weather have to do with anything? Does it disrupt the signal being broadcast? Do you think the NFL gives a rats fuck how some journalist feels about not being able to play 18 holes before the match? It was nothing but bargaining chip the NFL used to get a new stadium here in Detroit. The game will sell out whatever they charge, people will tune in to watch regardless of location, it was strictly a financial decision and the bad press will only hurt the city not the league.

Detroit is getting the super bowl for the same reason we got the all star game-- build a shiny new stadium and the league will throw you a bone.

+ Reply to Thread