+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: LOL@SteveKerr

LOL@SteveKerr

Quote Originally Posted by Kerr
    Sorry Chauncey Billups, Elton Brand, Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki – you're no longer in the hunt for the NBA's Most Valuable Player award. Kobe Bryant locked up the award Sunday night with his stunning 81-point barrage in the Los Angeles Lakers' come-from-behind victory over Toronto.

Think about that: 81 points! That's right, eighty-one. The second most points ever scored in a game in league history, behind only Wilt Chamberlain's record of 100. It was more than Michael Jordan ever scored and more than Oscar Robertson or Kareem Abdul-Jabaar ever had. It was as many or more than the Houston Rockets have scored 12 times this season.

Bryant's performance – especially since it rallied the Lakers from a second-half, 18-point deficit – ranks as the greatest show I have ever seen in the NBA. And I was in Cleveland back in 1990 with the Cavaliers when Jordan scored his career-high of 69. (I had two points.) I never thought I'd see anyone top that. But Kobe did.

The scary thing is that we all should have seen this coming. Since Dec. 20, Kobe is averaging 43.4 points per game. In his 62-point outing against Dallas, Bryant didn't even play in the fourth quarter. How much would he have scored had the game been close? On Thursday in Sacramento, he had an off night – and still scored 51.

His point totals have been so ridiculous that his 37-point effort in Phoenix on Friday was barely noticed. For almost anyone else, 37 would be a career night. For Kobe? It's a subpar game.

The question now is how high the bar should be raised. Is 90 points a possibility? Think about how preposterous that sounds, yet Kobe has actually made it a valid question. What if the Lakers play the Suns – who scored 149 points Sunday night and still lost – and Bryant gets hot? Then what? Could he score 100?

The man is virtually unguardable. His shooting range goes way beyond the three-point line, and his ball-handling ability allows him to get to any spot on the floor. His strength and fearlessness puts him at the free-throw line time and again, and his steely nature at the end of games makes him lethal in the clutch. He is a basketball machine.

What this all means is that Bryant has to win the NBA's MVP award. Brand was the early-season favorite after his fast start, and Nash has been mentioned as a repeat winner for leading the Suns to first place in the Pacific Division. Nowitzki also deserves consideration for his play and for the success of the Mavericks. But Kobe has elevated his game to an entirely different level – one that has rarely been seen in the history of the NBA.

He is far and away the best player in the league, and he deserves to be honored. After the show he put on Sunday, can anyone argue that he's not the MVP?

Steve Kerr is Yahoo! Sports' NBA analyst. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.
    Notice how he managed to squeeze in his playing days with Jordan?

Now that he's soliciting comments, he got
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCindyKate@WTFDetroit.com
    Yes! A 81-pt game warrents a season MVP!

Really?

That could have been a valid argument had Bill Russel not won the MVP award the year Wilt put up 100 in one night. (and averaged 50 on the season, btw.)
    Wow. Owning his ass is that easy.

Wow you really are retarded.

It's not like he said Yao Ming or Steve Francis or something like that.

Kobe is legit candidate.

Well, it's not like he was saying Kobe is a legit candidate either. He's giving the award to him right now.

Are you a chick?

I aint no fucking chick. I'm The CindyKate. Fear the dark power that be.

Oh, that might be you, W. LOL

Damn, I was hoping you were a chick because I was going to ask you to fuck me.

Ask nicely and I'll still oblige.

OK this needs to stop.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    cindy you'll find out any kobe debates with G dub gets off topic with weakass cheap shots. either way the lakers have to actually finish better than where they are for kobe to be seriously mentioned for mvp. i dont think they are that good as a team myself.

Actually i think seattle and maybe houston or sacramento could possibly bump em down by season's end. who knows though, plenty of basketball left to play. at this point if it were about team need over wins i'd go with mcgrady. his team cant win one game w/o him. not even to a lakers team w/o kobe IMO. but since wins are factored in i unfortunately think steve nash is the front runner with chauncy right behind him.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

+ Reply to Thread