+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: How does Marinelli affect the draft for the Lions?

How does Marinelli affect the draft for the Lions?

It was pretty clear from his presser that he wants to run a hard-nosed, pound the rock style of football.

Are we fine with Kevin Jones as the RB if we want to make the running game our focus? As much as I like him, he hasn't been healthy for an entire season yet and we don't know if he can handle a heavy workload. Would that make us think about drafting a RB?

On defense, if he brings Tampa 2 along with him, we might have to think about upgrading the LB, CB and S spots. The Tampa 2 defense requires the middle linebacker to drop back and defend the pass. I am not sure how effective Holmes would be if he was asked to do that. And we might need to upgrade our secondary to fit the scheme. I think Kenoy Kennedy will do fine in Tampa 2 but Marinelli might be looking for an upgrade over Holt. Same with Bly and the CB spot.

Also keep in mind that the Cover 2 requires a defense to get consistant pressure with only a four man rush, so a DE will be one of the bigger needs.

So do you guys think that we will still draft an OT/OG/DE or will we draft for some other spot like RB/LB/CB/S?

Re: How does Marinelli affect the draft for the Lions?

Quote Originally Posted by H1Man
    It was pretty clear from his presser that he wants to run a hard-nosed, pound the rock style of football.

Are we fine with Kevin Jones as the RB if we want to make the running game our focus? As much as I like him, he hasn't been healthy for an entire season yet and we don't know if he can handle a heavy workload. Would that make us think about drafting a RB?

On defense, if he brings Tampa 2 along with him, we might have to think about upgrading the LB, CB and S spots. The Tampa 2 defense requires the middle linebacker to drop back and defend the pass. I am not sure how effective Holmes would be if he was asked to do that. And we might need to upgrade our secondary to fit the scheme. I think Kenoy Kennedy will do fine in Tampa 2 but Marinelli might be looking for an upgrade over Holt. Same with Bly and the CB spot.

Also keep in mind that the Cover 2 requires a defense to get consistant pressure with only a four man rush, so a DE will be one of the bigger needs.

So do you guys think that we will still draft an OT/OG/DE or will we draft for some other spot like RB/LB/CB/S?
    Rod will beef up the offensive line. He clearly stated that he believes the way to win is to control the line of scrimmage on both o' and d'. I am sure they will draft O' unless it can be fixed by FA.

Rod wil want to upgrade the O line and upgrade speed in the safeties, at MLB, and add size at CB. I really don't think Marinelli will change Millens draft too much, but it might take us out of the running of a DE with our first because Marinelli can plug in anyone and make him a stud DE.
    Destiny

If the Lions are going to run a Cover 2 style defense, they need to make changes in their secondary and the defensive line.

I think Michael Huff just became a very appealing draft option.

Jimmy Williams is an option too. He is a bigger corner.

They blitz their corners a lot and I have no doubt that Bryant or Bly couldnt tackle half the QBs in the league with their blaise tackling skills.

Art
    What is a budkow.....isnt that something I shit out of?

We already got a Kiwi, his name is Kalimba.

Mario would be a much better pick.

Scott is my guy though, huge OT who has some attitude.

Art
    What is a budkow.....isnt that something I shit out of?

Welcome to Detroit...Oregon. Home to Detroit Lake and nothing else.
    Jimmy Williams is a pothead. Let him go to Arizona or Cleveland and watch him suck.
    [img]i17.tinypic.com/5z1kqq8.gif[/img]

I'm gonna say that Millen controls the draft and beefs up the offensive line. I don't think he's ready to give up on Joey, until he sees what he can do with a half-way decent line.

There are plenty of good CB's that could fall to the 2nd round pick. And, DE doesn't seem to be a huge need.

I think he'd like to get Mario Williams, and if he's not there then he'll simply beef up the OL.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

+ Reply to Thread