+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Computer trouble help needed...

Computer trouble help needed...

Today My computer took a crap. The motherboard is fried. I am not going to fix it since it is 5 years old. However I did take my old hard drive out and put it into a secondary computer of mine which his newer. All my networked shared documents are available to me on my second computer via the old hard drive however the ones that were stored under Jason's documents on that harddrive are not accessible. They were password protected under a windows XP profile.

I am wondering can I access them somehow or should I consider them gone?

Sorry I can't help J.

I have no idea about computers. Maybe Matt could help you though.
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

Do they just not show up? Or can you see them but not open them?

What OS is your secondary computer running? Also what format is the hard drive in (NTFS or FAT32)?

It is using XP. The format and the new one is FAT32, the old one was NTFS I believe.

I don't think FAT32 can access NTFS partitions. But as you said, you had access to the Shared Folder, so I assume that's not the problem.

Give this a shot:

- Go to the folder you want to access and go to Properties.
    - Go to Security-> Advanced->Owner
    - Select user name (usually Administrator) and select replace owner on subcontainers and folders.

That should reapply the security setting and permissions.

Thanks H1 it worked. I wasn't too worried because a lot of that stuff was backed up on my laptop but I wanted to make sure I lost files.

I will now move what I need to this hard drive make available 74 GB of space after I format it it.

Glad that worked out for ya.

+ Reply to Thread