+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lions search for coordinators

Jim Bates and Mike Mularkey are my personal choices. I think Mularkey fits in well with Marinelli's philosophy and his run/play action type of offense would work very well here.

Syndicate Emeritus, Site Co-Founder Taymelo's Avatar
    I'm throwing my hat in the ring for offensive coordinator.

Those guys make, what? About $700,000 - $1,000,000 per year?

I'll take it.

I guess that just leaves defensive coordinator to worry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by WH Press Sec. Tony Snow
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taymelo
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

GMs leaning toward unheralded coaches now

Over the past three weeks, NFL owners and general managers have taken an interesting and unexpected approach to the hiring process.

Rather than shell out big bucks for big-name retreads, they've all gone with the relatively unknown and unheralded.

Guys like Scott Linehan, Mike McCarthy, Rod Marinelli, Sean Payton and Eric Mangini are all unheralded grunts. Now that the blood-letting and hiring process appears to be slowing down, we thought we'd take a look at who may be some hot names in the next two to three years — about the time the next massive round of firings is conducted in NFL coaching circles.

FOXSports.com has compiled a list of the next group of assistants who could possibly take a ride on the head coaching carousel over the next three years. Why not get an early start on it, right?

The list includes coaches who have not had a sniff on the head coaching circuit yet. But if things pan out for their teams over the next 12 to 36 months, we could be hearing their names more and more.

Guys who have already interviewed this year or last — Donnie Henderson, Mike Singletary, Tim Lewis, Ron Rivera, Russ Grimm, Mike Zimmer, Mo Carthon — are off our list. Others whose names have also already been linked to openings — such as Ken Wisenhunt, Jim Schwartz, Mike Heimerdinger and Jim Bates — are also excluded.

Instead, our list contains those who have yet to get their feet wet in the head coaching rumor mill. With that said, let's take a look at those coaching grunts who you may just hear about in the next couple of years.

Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin:He's a very strong young candidate who's loved by his players.

He was Rod Marinelli's first choice for defensive coordinator when Marinelli first interviewed in Detroit, but Tomlin had to take the sure thing at the time, which was Minnesota. Listen to both young and veteran players preach his gospel and it becomes very clear (very quickly) why Tomlin is on the fast track for a head gig one day.

Browns defensive coordinator Todd Grantham: A very strong, young defensive mind who has the traits one might look for in a head coach. He was hot in coordinator circles last year and decided to hitch his wagon to another Bill Belichick guy in Romeo Crennel. If Cleveland can pull into postseason contention soon, and even if they don't, Grantham should hear his phone ring in the coming years.

Broncos assistant head coach/tight ends coach Tim Brewster — Mike Shanahan's tight ends coach is a very good teacher and is extremely well respected inside the NFL. Brewster was on the list for at least one coordinator spot among the new hires but can't interview anywhere until after the Broncos are out of the playoffs. He is also considered a great recruiter and the reason the Chargers got Antonio Gates when Brewster was San Diego's TE coach. He's also credited with recruiting Vince Young to Texas.

Chiefs offensive coordinator Mike Solari: One of the best coaches at any position inside the NFL. Solari is well respected by players but is even more respected in the inner circles of NFL coaches. This year, he gets a chance to step up to coordinator in Kansas City, and if he can have half the success in that role that he's had as a line coach, the next step would only make sense.

Panthers defensive coordinator Mike Trgovac: "Trgo" is a grunt. He keeps his mouth shut and never politics for a gig, which is probably why he's never been linked to one. Trgovac is now a disciple of John Fox, who carries almost as much weight as Belichick when it comes to the value of his recommendation. Considering the names of some of the other candidates that made the rounds this postseason, it's amazing that Trgo's name hasn't come up yet.

Bengals quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese: Carson Palmer's quarterbacks coach first needs a coordinator gig. However, as long as he enjoys similar success in that role, I could certainly see the owners thinking he's the next great offensive guru they're looking for.

Jaguars defensive coordinator Mike Smith: Gets lost in small-market Jacksonville and in Jack Del Rio's shadow. Smith has had as much to do with the success of that defense as anyone, yet he never gets a sniff. Smith's coaching cronies say he has very strong X's and O's knowledge and should start getting someone's attention in the future if Jacksonville continues its rise.

Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels: Recently promoted to offensive coordinator of the Patriots, the 29-year-old quarterbacks coach helped Tom Brady remain one of the two or three best quarterbacks (if not the best) in the game. Plus, he now comes from that coveted Belichick coaching tree that's oh-so-hip and chic among owners looking for a coach.

Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan: Buddy Ryan's son certainly has what it takes to command a room if he needs to. However, he also needs something else to factor into the equation — a winning team. If the Ravens get hot again, Ryan, too, should get a mention in the next year or two as a viable candidate. Everyone this off-season wanted a hot offensive guy, but some of these defensive lads need to get a look.

Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell: Brad Childress' offensive coordinator worked with Brett Favre last year and now has the chore of helping Childress restore the Daunte Culpepper's luster. He'll get hot if Childress can work the Vikings back into the postseason for the next two to three years.

Bucs linebackers coach Joe Barry: Marinelli's son-in-law has been ready for quite some time to make the jump to coordinator. The man behind Derrick Brooks' madness has more time left on his deal in Tampa; but if given the chance to make the leap, it probably won't take long for him to get a strong look at the head-gig level. Like Tomlin, he comes from that Tony Dungy-inspired crew of Tampa Cover-Two defensive minds.

49ers defensive coordinator Billy Davis: The 49ers defensive coordinator has the traits to eventually become a head coach but is still a few years away. However, considering the respect he gets from players and his work ethic, Davis should continue to learn under Mike Nolan and eventually become a real player in the job market.

Falcons offensive coordinator Gregg Knapp: Never had an interview for the head gig, but if Atlanta can return to championship form and Knapp can get Michael Vick to become an MVP candidate, how can Knapp continue to get overlooked?

Bengals wide receivers coach Hue Jackson: Jackson is a very solid teacher and coach, but he needs a chance to call plays again (he called them for a span under Steve Spurrier in Washington) to make that next jump. If he can pull in a coordinator job and run a successful offense, Jackson will start getting interviews. He's a better technical coach than he's given credit for.

Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Blache: Blache is more qualified for a head coaching gig than some of the recent hires, yet he gets lost behind Gregg Williams in D.C. Players on the Bears and Redskins revere and respect the heck out of him, and he brings the toughness one would want in a head coach, yet he doesn't get a sniff. Wake up on this guy, folks! He doesn't really qualify for our list because he has interviewed for a head gig in the past, but we couldn't let him go unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Taymelo
    I'm throwing my hat in the ring for offensive coordinator.

Those guys make, what? About $700,000 - $1,000,000 per year?

I'll take it.

I guess that just leaves defensive coordinator to worry about.
    Isn't that a paycut for a fancy lawyer like you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I do so love a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    People love train wrecks.

I'm Varsity chump. You're J.V.
    Quote Originally Posted by H1Man
    Assistant Head Coach - Donnie Henderson, Mike Tice, Jim Bates
    Offinsive Coordinator - Mike Martz, Mike Tice, Mike Mularkey, Hue Jackson
    Defensive Coordinator - Donnie Henderson, Dom Capers, Joe Barry, Randy Shannon, Monte Kiffin
    Defensive Line Coach - Denny Marcin
    Linebackers Coach - Bob Sutton
    Running Backs Coach - Bobby Turner
    Special Teams Coach - Mike Westhoff

Not necessarily who I would hire, just some suggestions.
    Kiffin is already employed in that capacity and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't allow him to interview anyway.

We can cross Mike Mularkey off the list. He just signed as the OC of the Miami Dolphins.

Kubiak and Jauran are HC's now too, not that either would be here.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

I would have liked to see Mularkey here. Call me crazy but Buffalo's O wasnt that bad and he could do a lot more here with the talent we got.

Too bad Saban got him

Famous Bill Walton quotes:

"Shaq's arrogance is an insult to people who think."

Bill: "What, Phoenix? Are they still paying you?"
    Jalen: "Yeah, under the table."
    Bill: "Yeah, just like at Michigan."

“Oh my, Kobe is really putting on a show out there. He’s making Ray Allen look like a sixth grader!”

Dom Capers to be DC in Miami. Miami's got one strong coaching crew now as do the Skins.

Miami still doesn't have a QB worth a poop.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

+ Reply to Thread