+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lions search for coordinators

The Lions search for coordinators

I realize we have threads about Marinelli, and that a lot has been said about OC and DC in those. Maybe it can all be organized here. I want to get right to those without reading Marinelli stuff. I'll do that in it's own time.

I've heard a lot about his son-in-law, the LB coach (John Barry, I think his name is) in Tampa, wanting to follow him to Detroit, perhaps as DC. Allegedly TB denied permission for a couple other teams to interview Barry, but maybe the family relation will cause them to allow the Lions. No sense denying permission when the guy has supposedly gone on record as saying he wants to go to Detroit.

As for OC, I've heard people say they wanted Martz or Tice. I also read something about Terry Shea. Apparently he and Marinelli are friends and he has experience in a number of different systems - worked under Saunders who many wanted as our head coach or OC.

Some of this might be repeating something written in another thread - don't know because I haven't looked yet. If so, I apologize. Then you can bite me.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

I have been hearing about Hue Jackson from Cincy too, WR coach.

Heard Shea and even Mulkarkey....nothing on Martz.

martz said he would only be HC.

Barry will be in Detroit this year or next. TB LB are very good. I wouldnt mind having TBs front 7.

Art

Art
    What is a budkow.....isnt that something I shit out of?

Martz went on SAS show today as well as the radio and said he would be open to being an OC since it is unlikely at this point he will get offers to be a HC. Can't argue with his ability to call an offense, I would take him has an OC in a heartbeat. It's the best of both worlds we would have an expierenced OC for Marinelli to lean on, but we get the benifit of Marinelli making the final decision so no Martz logic on 4th and 20.

I would like to see Gunther Cunnigham come in to help with the Defense. I just don't want to see an all rookie staff, and I don't want the excuses that come with a rookie staff.

I don't know much about Hue Jackson but from what I heard, he was instrumental in Palmer's developement.

Even though I don't like Martz, I wouldn't mind him if he came here only to be the OC. As long as he understands that his only responsibility is to call plays on the offense, I think he might be all right.

I would also like to get Mike Solari as the OLine coach.

My only concern about the OC is they aren't conservative. If we are going to hire a run happy OC then we need to trade Kevin Jones for a first round pick and sign a big time back like Edge or Alexander who are capable of handle a heavy load. Or keep KJ and sign another back who is capable of being more than a change of pace back. In two years KJ has been less than durable so we don't know if he can carry the ball 20-25 times for 16+ games.

These are all great names, potentially.

I wonder how long it will be before we name any coordinators and if we can, in fact, attract any of the names we would like to hear.

I kinda get the impression Marinelli is interested in some guys whose names we haven't heard before. That could be frustrating because, on top of getting those rookie excuses that were mentioned, we still would have to wait 6-8 months to get hyped about their abilities. Oh well, at least we have the draft in 3 months.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

I think Martz might be the only one who can save Charles Rogers career. With the receivers we have I think we could have an explosive offense under him.

My personal choice for the OC is Al Saunders but I think he is in the running for the HC job in Oakland. I remember earlier in the season KC was trying to acquire Joey, so I think Saunders sees something in Joey that he likes. And I like how they changed their playcalling after Priest Holmes went down.

That's also the reason why I want Mike Solari as the OLine coach. They completely changed their blocking schemes for Larry Johnson mid-season.

Quote Originally Posted by H1Man
    I think Martz might be the only one who can save Charles Rogers career. With the receivers we have I think we could have an explosive offense under him.

My personal choice for the OC is Al Saunders but I think he is in the running for the HC job in Oakland.
    I remember earlier in the season KC was trying to acquire Joey, so I think Saunders sees something in Joey that he likes. And I like how they changed their playcalling after Priest Holmes went down.

That's also the reason why I want Mike Solari as the OLine coach. They completely changed their blocking schemes for Larry Johnson mid-season.
    Didn't the Redskins hire him to be the OC today?

Quote Originally Posted by JS
    Quote Originally Posted by H1Man

My personal choice for the OC is Al Saunders but I think he is in the running for the HC job in Oakland.
    I remember earlier in the season KC was trying to acquire Joey, so I think Saunders sees something in Joey that he likes. And I like how they changed their playcalling after Priest Holmes went down.

Didn't the Redskins hire him to be the OC today?
    Yep. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that.

Cross Mike Solari off the list too. He has been promoted to Offensive Coordinator of the Chiefs. Terry Shea and Gunther Cunningham are also being retained.

+ Reply to Thread