Thread: BLAHA LOVE!!!

Blog Entries

BLAHA LOVE!!!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...601180382/1051

30 SEASONS OF GEORGE BLAHA
    BY BILL DOW
    FREE PRESS SPECIAL WRITER

January 18, 2006

Blaha signs autographs. Tom Wilson, Pistons president and CEO, calls him "a celebrity in his own right."

"Four and 26 to go, Chauncey on the sideline, lobs to Rasheed, Rasheed turns and faces, FIRES OFF THE GLASS AND HE HIT IT! COUNT THAT BABY AND A FOUL!"

In his 30th NBA season, with more than 2,600 games under his belt as the voice of the Pistons, George Blaha's up-tempo and unique play-by-play calls have thrilled fans since the days a once-struggling franchise sometimes hosted 4,000 diehards at Cobo Arena.

"I agree with people who tell me they like George's broadcasts because they're never boring. He can make a preseason contest sound like Game 7 of the NBA Finals," said Joe Abramson, in his 23rd season as Blaha's home game statistician. "He also does it without damaging the integrity of the game, because as George will tell you, he's not the show, the players are."

Blaha, 61, was raised in Iowa until moving to Grayling at age 13. He was a Minneapolis Lakers fan during the NBA's infancy and loved to practice play-by-play calls while spinning the arrow on his "All Star Baseball" board game.

"By age 10, I knew I wanted to be a sports broadcaster," said Blaha, who handles play-by-play duties on television or radio for all 82 regular-season Pistons games, plus preseason and postseason games. He can be heard on WDFN-AM (1130) and be seen on Channel 20 and Channel 4.

He didn't begin to seriously pursue his dream until graduating from Notre Dame and starting an MBA program at Michigan (a degree he finished). He wrote to Ernie Harwell for advice, and the former Tigers announcer suggested Blaha take a broadcast course.

He took the lessons, and then began announcing high school football games in the Thumb area for free. In the early '70s, he landed jobs in Adrian and then Lansing, where he broadcast MSU football games before taking a morning-drive news position with WCAR in Detroit.

When Pistons announcer Paul Carey decided in 1976 to concentrate on Tigers broadcasts, WJR newsman Tom Campbell suggested Blaha as a replacement to sports director Frank Beckmann.

Blaha got the job, and vividly recalls his first WJR broadcast from Cobo Arena.

"When I saw Bob Lanier and the Bullets' Wes Unseld come out for the opening tip-off, I thought, 'My God, this is a man's league, I better get ready,' " Blaha said. "After the game I was so excited that while driving home to Lansing I somehow ended up in Grosse Pointe."

The birth of 'Blahaisms'
    Blaha has witnessed a once-struggling franchise and league grow by leaps and bounds in 30 years.

"At Cobo, we used to have some pretty small crowds, but the fans were real aficionados. If you were there, the game was your passion," Blaha said. "The league was surviving but when Dr. J (Julius Erving) joined the NBA and the milestone collective bargaining agreement was reached that addressed revenue sharing, salary caps, and drug enforcement, the NBA really took off. The NBA in the 1980's is as good a decade as in any sport."

When the Pistons' "Bad Boys" captured back-to-back titles in 1989 and '90, Blaha's popularity soared with fans fond of his trademark "Blahaisms" ("2 and 20 left in the third," "he fills it," "don't look now but we've got a two-point game.")

Blaha said his colloquialisms were born of the need to be brief about a sport that some say is the most difficult to broadcast.

"I think it's easier on the fans to say a 'high glasser' than to announce 'it's a jumper off the upper portion of the backboard,' " Blaha said. "In basketball you have to find some brief sayings because these guys go up and down the court so incredibly fast."

Tom Wilson, Pistons president and CEO, has long appreciated Blaha's value to the franchise.

"George really captures the magic of the sport and because he loves it so much he's been able to transmit that to the listeners," Wilson said. "Like Ernie Harwell, many people have grown up with him, and hearing his play-by-play is comforting and just makes you feel good."

A team 'ambassador'
    Blaha's toughest time of the year is fall, when he announces MSU football in addition to Pistons games.

One weekend last November, Blaha did a Pistons game in Boston on Friday night, an MSU game at Purdue on Saturday afternoon and a Pistons game that night at the Palace.

He's not complaining.

"With an overlapping schedule like that, you just run on adrenalin and do the best job you can," said Blaha, who keeps his throat soothed with lozenges and stays in shape by exercising four days a week with free weights and a treadmill. "It's not like you're going to watch paint dry. I'm just so fortunate to broadcast my two favorite sports, NBA basketball and college football."

When he's not on the road, or preparing for games at his Troy home with his wife, Mary, and their dog, Misty, nearby, Blaha is often recording numerous radio commercials, or making appearances at charitable and community events for the Pistons and Michigan State. He also is active with Vista Maria, a home in Dearborn Heights for abused and neglected girls ages 11-17. He hosts an annual golf outing, called "High Hopes," for the home.

"George is not only our voice, but in many ways he's our ambassador," Wilson said. "When you go places with him, there's a certain magic with people. He's a celebrity in his own right."

Although Blaha enjoys spending the off-season at his new summer home on a lake near Gaylord, he's not ready for retirement.

"Forty years might be a nice number, but I can't see stepping down before then," he said. "All I ever really wanted to do was broadcast games and bring some joy to hard-working people in a working man's town.

"What better place than Detroit?"
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the memories

Blaha's top five Pistons memories:

1. First broadcast from Cobo Arena, Oct. 23, 1976

2. 1989 championship win over L.A. Lakers

3. 1990 championship win over Portland

4. 2004 championship win over Lakers

5. Third quarter of Game 6, 1988 NBA Finals, vs. Lakers (Isiah Thomas scores 25 points in the third quarter while playing with a severe ankle sprain)

The Pistons' top five scorers in 1976-77, the season Blaha debuted:

Bob Lanier (25.3)
    M.L. Carr (13.3)
    Howard Porter (13.2)
    Chris Ford (12.3)
    Ralph Simpson (11.0)
    Head coach: Herb Brown

TAG TEAM

Blaha's radio and TV broadcasting partners over the years:

Frank Beckmann
    Dave Bing
    Hubie Brown
    Jim Forest
    Mike Fratello
    Dick Harter
    Spencer Haywood
    Tom Hemingway
    Vinnie Johnson
    Greg Kelser
    Bill Laimbeer
    John Long
    Kevin Loughery
    Rick Mahorn
    Fred McLeod
    John Mengelt
    Dick Motta
    Bob Quick
    Kelly Tripucka
    Tom Wilson

George Blaha's call of the Pistons' 2004 championship:

"Lindsey, the veteran who won a crown with the Lakers, holds the ball for the Pistons. He's back home. Three seconds. Two seconds. One second. It's over. It has happened. It's happened, Detroit. You believed in this team and they have delivered a third NBA world championship to the Motor City. The Pistons smash the Lakers in five. And it's a triple play for Pistons owner Bill Davidson. First the WNBA title with the Shock, then the Stanley Cup with the Tampa Bay Lightning. And now his beloved Pistons are again kings of professional basketball."
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Anybody that has anything negative to say about Blaha in this thread had better tread lightly.

I'm looming.

Thin ice.

PMs.

EDIT: I've already had to send one, so I'm not going to repeat myself time and again. To be safe, if you are reading this, check your PMs.
    Find a new slant.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    BILL DOW >KRISTA LATHAM
    i would said "=" myself.

fuck blaha, he aint done shit for the community
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

I call bullshit on Gutz!

Blaha has carried the comb-over community on his back for years!
    STEW BEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach
    fuck blaha, he aint done shit for the community

Count that baby.........and the foul!!!

I always like it when some weird coincidence goes down while he's calling a game.

"Lindsey for three......yes! The Pistons are now up three with three thirty-three left in quarter number three"

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Anybody that has anything negative to say about Blaha in this thread had better tread lightly.
    Dude, anybody who says anything negative about Blaha should be BANNED.

+ Reply to Thread