+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Calder Trophy Projection

"I don't know that I'm ever not gonna want to play."

Calder Trophy Projection

For all of you hockey novices that have no idea what The Calder Trophy is, it's the Rookie of the Year award. This year's race is interesting because, not only is there actually competition, but the rookies in question are among the leagues best players at their position.

This year's pre-season favorite was Sydney Crosby, the #1 draft pick for the Penguins. If you haven't heard of him, then I would guess that you have been living in a shack up in the mountains with no electricity. Crosby has been everything that they said he would be. He's fast, he's creative, and he's a goal scoring machine. The only problem is that his team just so happens to be last in the league.

Alexander Ovechkin, however, has been the talk of the league since the season has started. He'son pace for 60 goals...and maybe 40-50 assists. Better yet, I saw him score one of his 2 goals yesterday while sliding towards the boards on his back. This kid is un-fucking-believable. However, he also plays on a crummy team.

This is the point of the post where I let my co-conspirator, Fraserburn, tell you who he thinks is the third candidate to compete for The Calder. Fraser? I know you won't dissapoint me.

It can be summed up in one word... Phaneuf
    no that wasnt a sneeze that is the last name of a scott stevens reincarnated and that;s not even a fair comparison. This young man is a player all on his own. He hits like scott stevens and scores like Al MacInnis. Any other year this guy would have a shot, this year however he is an afterthought.

continuing this mini list of so called "Candidates" (there really is only 2)
    but Henrik Lundqvist the red hot rookie goaltender for the New York Rangers has been shutting down the league with his stellar play and is the 2nd reason along with jagr behind the rangers resurgence

now to comment on the consensus 1 and 1A picks for the calder trophy
    Sid the Kid was practically handed the key to Pittsburgh when he was drafted 1st overall. He lives in the Owners house, drives the owners vehicles, got handed an A for his number 87 jersey, and was prematurely given the calder trophy by most journalists and fans alike

Alexander Ovechkin is out to prove them all wrong
    while crosby and the pens slump behind some unexplained brutal play on all parts, Ovechkin is single handedly carrying a weak Caps team and at least making them competitive night in and night out. he recently got his first NHL hat trick that won the game for the caps, and that goal he scored last night just might be the goal of the year the hand eye coordination alone for that type of move is stunning. Ovechkin is 33 points ahead of his closest teammate, that is twice the divide than any 1-2 combination on any team in the league.

unfortunately crosby is the pretty name out there and if the statistics are anywhere near each other crosby will most likely win the Calder and that just might be the biggest crime of the lockout as Ovechkin would have almost certainly won it last year
    Kelly Youngblood: Don't take any shit from them Canucks. To them,
    you're just another wetback, crossing the border to play their game.
    Dean Youngblood: They'll never catch me!
    Kelly Youngblood: Oh, they'll catch you.

Great Commentary. I was certain that you would go to the Henrik Lundqvist arguement first as I would say he is actually the #1 reason that The Rangers are competitive this year. Sure, Jagr is having a serious resurgence, but his line of cheap speed has been a blessing for him. Weeks would have torpedoed this team...as a matter of fact, he blew the game for them yesterday for certain.

Marek Svatos is another good candidate that no-one is talking about. 26 goals/ 14 assists on a Colorado team that has been struggling in goal (or at least was early on). He's also a regular on the power play. Now THAT'S confidence in your rookie. He is yet another young winger in Colorado that is making a difference right away. How do they do it?

Phaneuf, on the other hand, is ALL ABOUT the power play. He has a vast majority of his points with the man advantage. He D is also fantastik. His +/- would be better if his damn team would wake up and score goals.

BTW, if Crosby wins the Calder I'll shit in my hat.

If Crosby wins
    that would be Bettman shitting in our mouths

crosby is getting points passing to palffy and recchi
    ovechkin is getting points passing to brooks laich and a kip miller clone

ovechkin HITS
    Crosby turtles

sad but true ovechkin plays more like a canadian than crosby does
    what a little whiner that kid is

So you saw Ovechkin's goal from last night?

I was watching the game on NHL Centre Ice

toe drag off the Dman skate gets held up falls but keeps the puck on his stick as he rolls onto his back and sweeps it around the diving goalie
    ........ya i did that in rec hockey last night

+ Reply to Thread