+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Olympics

The Olympics

Back in '84, I remember the whole nation being whipped into a frenzy in anticipation of the Summer Games in LA. Now, they're not even front page news. Is this because the Olympics aren't in the U.S. of A this time around, or is it something else?

I subscribe that the typical American's interest level in the Olympics has coincided perfectly with the fall of Communist Russia. We have no one to root against anymore. Every American victory back in the day was ten times as sweet if they beat the Pinkos. Now that we have no real natural "enemy", the games have lost their lustre.

What also adds to our lackadaisical attitude toward the games is the overall acceptance of other cultures which is prevelant in today's society. Good for society, bad for the Olympics. Back in the day, there was no doubt in anybody's apple pie-eating, Chevy driving, American minds that the Russians were evil personified and ate their young.

Now, I know that the USSR boycotted the Summer Olympics in LA, but the national fervor against Communism didn't die because of that. We stood united against East Germany, as if it's atheletes were Russia's surrogate representatives and not their own people. So it would seem logical that we rooted for democracy, and against Communism back then.

But we obviously don't know, since China is still very much Communist. We have no bones to pick with China, though.

So I think that the popularity of the Olympics in this country fell with the Cold War.

Discuss.

Blog Entries
    wrong forum

Discuss.
    Find a new slant.

You're so cute when you try to flex your Syndicate muscle.

Blog Entries
    Got to compete with those pipes that Ben is displaying in your avatar.
    Find a new slant.

The Winter Olympics have never been as popular as the Summer Games. I recall the Australian Games just as popular and watched as any recent summer games. The reason here is that America simply isn't as historically dominant in the Winter Games as we are in the Summer.

The figure skating will probably draw good numbers, as might Bode Miller, but really that's about it.

I think the addition of competitive jump rope, PB&J making, and speed Christmas tree decorating, lessen the enthusiam for the Olympics.
    STEW BEEF!

shouldn't this be in "other sports"

Anyway, I used to really enjoy watching the olympics. Now I don't watch at all (except USA Bball). I don't know what caused me to get disinterested. I think a lot of it has to do with the wierd hours that many of them are at. You can't even watch half of them unless you have the day off or you are up half the night. I still enjoy some of the events, but you hardly get to see what you want anyway, and thus I rarely pay attention.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    shouldn't this be in "other sports"
    Look at the rook flexing!
    Find a new slant.

Your mamas should be in other sports.

+ Reply to Thread