+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 107
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: The official Steeler fan thread

Quote Originally Posted by theMUHMEshow
    I have liked the Steelers since GREG LLOYD!

God he is a bad ass...I am not going to say I am a die hard or anything, I just hope they win....
    Good call. That's when I first started liking them. I didn't start rooting for them until Hines Ward though. I of course like Bettis too, and I like Big Ben as well.

They weren't my favorite non-detroit team back in the day though. I was a Bills fan (losing all those superbowls busted my balls).
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Just kickin' back on the seven seas of smoothness.
    Yet, he's betting on the Seachickens to win the game.

Blog Entries
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060207/...teelers_parade

Steeler Fans Rally to Honor Champions

By DAN NEPHIN, Associated Press Writer
    57 minutes ago

Thousands of Steelers fans, some holding signs that simply said "Thanks!", crowded downtown streets Tuesday for a parade honoring the team's Super Bowl win.

Many fans held Terrible Towels and waved "Champs!" signs in mid-20s temperatures amid snow flurries. Several held signs with a photo of Steelers founder Art Rooney Sr. and the words "We remember." Others wore black-and-gold hard hats.

Coach Bill Cowher and the players, dressed in gray Super Bowl champion sweat shirts, rode along the route in the back of pickup trucks and other cars. Many recorded the crowd on video cameras as their families rode along with them.

Mayor Bob O'Connor rode along too, sporting a white Jerome Bettis jersey. Even Gov. Ed Rendell, a die-hard Philadelphia Eagles fan, came to cheer on the team.

Crowds lined the mile-long parade route. Sightseeing boats crowded with fans in Steelers gear ferried people from the city's South Side to downtown for the parade.

Jeff and Stacy Krieger traveled 3 1/2 hours from York County to Pittsburgh on Monday night to be at the parade with their 9-year-old son, Dylan, and 6-year-old daughter, Makensey.

"It's been 25 years or however long it's been," said Jeff Krieger, a construction foreman and lifelong Steelers fan. "It might be another 25 years. You never know."

Pete Paolello, 37, staked out a nice spot on a traffic island next to the parade route. That was the reward for making the 12-hour drive from Boston and getting into town at 5 a.m. Tuesday.

"I gave my bosses a heads up last week, 'If we win, I'll be out,'" Paolello said. His 24-year-old sister, Josie, of Erie, carried a sign that read "We came from Beantown to Bus-town," referring to Bettis, the retiring running back.

But Paolello's 20-year-old son, Ryan Fernandez, didn't look happy to be in the crowd. He stood out in the sea of black and gold wearing a Red Sox jersey.

"He dragged me out," said Fernandez, who admitted he is a New England Patriots fan.

The plaza near Point State Park was packed with people standing shoulder to shoulder, at least nine rows deep. There was the usual assortment of popular Steelers jerseys in the crowd — Bettis, Super Bowl MVP Hines Ward and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, to name a few — along with office workers dressed in suits and overcoats wearing Steelers knit hats or black-and-gold scarves.

The plaza was rocking as an assortment of hip-hop music blared over the loud speakers, and it soon got louder when the unofficial Steelers anthem and the Pittsburgh Polka started playing.

The parade was a chance for people to show off their new Super Bowl T-shirts and hats.

Jim Disilverio, 53, a postman from Dillsburg, about three hours east of Pittsburgh, bought a hat, Steelers shirt and Super Bowl edition of the Terrible Towel.

To get to the parade, Disilverio left his house at 3 a.m. Tuesday in a black Volkswagen Beetle that he fashioned to look like a Steelers helmet. He said he was at the Steelers victory parade in the 1970s when they won their first Super Bowl.

"I was surprised that they got this far, the way they played the beginning of the season," Disilverio said.

The Steelers won their fifth Super Bowl title Sunday, beating the Seattle Seahawks 21-10 in Detroit, in the team's first Super Bowl win since 1980.

The parade, featuring several high school marching bands, began at Mellon Arena. It was to travel a mile along Centre Avenue before heading to Point State Park.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries

Steelers fan thread

We had one of these last year since there are a few of us Steelers fans here, might as well try it again.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...=tsn&type=lgns

Season preview: Pittsburgh Steelers

By Gerry Dulac, SportingNews

Bill Cowher didn't think the Pittsburgh Steelers were the best team in the NFL in 2005. He merely thought they were the best team at the right time.

The Steelers got hot when it mattered most last season, winning their final four regular-season games to make the playoffs. Then, they rode that momentum to playoff wins over the Bengals, Colts and Broncos before beating the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.

Two of the Steelers' five losses came when quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured. Another came at Indianapolis in Roethlisberger's first game back after missing three games because of knee surgery. That should tell you about Roethlisberger's value to the team, and the team will be tested once more if the repercussions of Roethlisberger's June 12 motorcycle accident have season-long effects.

This year, with 19 of 22 starters returning, the Steelers have a chance to pull off a double play: produce a better record than last year's 11-5 and be a better team.

"I think we have put ourselves in good position after winning a Super Bowl," Cowher says.

In other words, look out for the Steelers.

GAME PLAN
    Offense: Coordinator Ken Whisenhunt has done a wonderful job of restoring balance in the offense. He has put emphasis back on the running game but relies on Roethlisberger to make big plays downfield. The mix keeps teams off-balance and allows both phases of the offense to flourish.

Defense: Coordinator Dick LeBeau has constructed the ideal 3-4 defense: strong in the middle with immovable nose tackle Casey Hampton; disruptive on the edges with pass-rushing outside linebackers Joey Porter and Clark Haggans; and potent in the secondary with Troy Polamalu, a big-play strong safety who can run like a cornerback and hit like a linebacker.

SPOTLIGHT PLAYERS
    QB Ben Roethlisberger: The Steelers are a very good team with Roethlisberger but only decent without him – that scenario looms over them if injuries keep him out for significant time. His performance in the postseason elevated him into the elite class of NFL quarterbacks.

When healthy, Roethlisberger throws effectively against man or zone coverage and is just as adept throwing on the run as he is from the pocket. He has developed into the Daryle Lamonica of his generation: He isn't afraid to throw deep and he does it with uncanny accuracy.

WR Hines Ward: The focus of the passing game remains Ward, perhaps the best all-around receiver in the league. Although Ward lacks elite speed, he has reliable hands and excellent concentration in traffic, is a great route runner who sets up defenders with double moves and is the best blocking receiver in the NFL. His downfield blocking is crucial to the running game. A former college quarterback, he could replace Antwaan Randle El as a multidimensional threat among the wideouts.

The starting job that opened with Randle El's free-agent departure will be filled by Cedrick Wilson, who spent much of last season rotating with Randle El. Wilson has good deep speed and can accelerate to catch the ball. After a slow start last season, he developed into the team's top big-play threat late in the regular season and in the playoffs.

SS Troy Polamalu: Polamalu has developed into one of the league's most disruptive players. LeBeau gave him an expanded role in 2005, allowing him to play closer to the line in the team's "quarter" package that featured three cornerbacks and three safeties. Polamalu was used more like a linebacker; he blitzed a lot and was responsible for more tight end coverage. He has such good speed that LeBeau isn't afraid to use him to cover wide receivers.

The team signed Redskins free agent Ryan Clark to replace Chris Hope at free safety. Clark's biggest role will be to make sure he is covering for Polamalu when Polamalu moves close to the line. Clark isn't as physical as Hope, but he has good speed and probably is more suited to play free safety than Hope was.

Tyrone Carter, who is physical against the run but struggles in coverage, will back up Polamalu.

FALL FORECAST
    The Steelers have a tough schedule that will make it difficult for them to win the division – something they didn't do last year, either – and other teams will raise their level of play each week against the defending Super Bowl champs. When Roethlisberger is healthy, the Steelers are almost unstoppable on offense because they can run and throw equally well.

Couple that with an attacking defense and the ingredients are there for the Steelers to reach the conference championship for the third year in a row – and maybe more. Bottom line: So much is riding on Roethlisberger's health.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.

Good luck to your team Glenn. I see the lions have killed your spirits before the season started.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Blog Entries
    I think the Steelers make it to the AFC Championship but fall just short to the Colts. I don't know how that can be considered having your spirits killed.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

If you are taking a shot at the Lions and not the Steelers, go ahead, they deserve it for keeping Millen around this long (actually hiring him in the first place).

And you, as a Raider fan, should know all about having your spirits dampened. Just be glad the Raiders didn't hire Millen before the Lions could. That's the one correct move they've made lately. Maybe he'll go there next?

Blog Entries
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/previe...ohn&id=2563731

Steelers shine when times get tough

By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

Only 15 franchises have experienced the joys and pleasures of winning the Lombardi Trophy. It's an exclusive club for a reason.

What makes it so exclusive is how hard it is assemble the talent, peak at the right time and have the tenacity to win it all. The Steelers, Cowboys and 49ers have five Super Bowl titles apiece, more than a third of the 40 championships.

The reasons for their success are stability, character players, quarterbacks who are leaders and great head coaches who set the right agenda. As hard as other franchises try, it's difficult to capture all of those elements.

Following the most recent Super Bowl, folks were taken aback by a Bill Cowher statement that the Steelers might not have been the most talented team in 2005. He was right. One or two other teams might have been more talented on paper. Although the Steelers were a wild card and a No. 6 seed in the AFC, they would have been the No. 2 seed were it not for some poor performances by Ben Roethlisberger's backup while Roethlisberger recovered from injuries.

Raiders boss Al Davis has said that in certain years, teams can steal a Super Bowl, and that's what the Steelers did. They got hot at the end of the season and put everything together when the odds were against them. The key is to fight adversity, and that doesn't happen if the team isn't filled with character players and the right leadership.

When Pittsburgh lost 38-31 to the Bengals on Dec. 4 at Heinz Field, the Steelers were at a crossroads. They were 7-5. The Bengals, led by vocal wide receiver Chad Johnson, came off the field waving Terrible Towels to announce a new day was dawning in the AFC North, that the Bengals were suddenly the team to beat.

At that moment, the Steelers started to come together as a championship team.

"We have a board in our meeting room that lists all of our games and all of our goals," Steelers linebacker James Farrior said. "When we were 7-5, coach Cowher took everything down and only put up the team we were playing. He showed us the type of attitude we had to have to focus on one game at a time. Guys responded to that. We had to stay positive. He said it wasn't over."

The Steelers had everything in place to make a Super Bowl run. Cowher has been a good enough coach to get the Steelers to a Super Bowl, but now he had a quarterback who could be a difference maker in big games. It's hard to win Super Bowls without a quarterback like Roethlisberger. And Pittsburgh's roster was filled with experienced players and great leaders.

"It starts with organization and it starts with ownership," center Jeff Hartings said. "This is one of the most stable if not the most stable team in NFL history. You also have to have high-character guys, and we have high-character guys on this team. If you evaluate the guys they draft on this team, it's unbelievable how good this team is for character guys. I'm one of the lone free agents they brought in here, so I can tell you how important it is to have character."

Seasons are long, and even the best teams face adversity. Maybe it's an injury. Maybe it's a slump. Maybe it's an off-the-field incident. In a four-month season, everything isn't going to go perfectly, so the leadership has to be in place in coaching and in the locker room to keep the team focused during the tough times.

The Steelers had all the elements in place. Cowher is a bright coach and is loaded with a great group of assistants. Since Chuck Noll turned around the losing ways of the Steelers in the 1970s, the Steelers emphasized building teams through the draft. The Rooney family never overpaid, but it kept a stable foundation. To think that the team has had only two coaches in four decades of football is incredible.

That type of stability and the team's history of success provided the model for assembling the right types of athletes and personalities to win.

"Offensively, the quarterback position has to be a good leader," Hartings said. "Even if the quarterback isn't vocal, he has to be a good leader because he affects everybody. Ben Roethlisberger is unbelievably mature as a player. Then you have to have guys like Alan Faneca and Hines Ward. Those guys go all-out in practice and in games."

When the Steelers were 7-5, they had supreme focus. Cowher said all the right things. Ward, Faneca, Hartings and others policed the locker room to make sure every player was focused on the week ahead.

"I think we've got a lot of guys who have been around the league for a while," Farrior said. "They understand the situation we are put into. When you get your backs against the wall, that's the time you need to step up. The veteran guys on this team do a good job of portraying that message. Coach Cowher does a good job. Guys don't do a lot of finger-pointing."

That's where Cowher helps. A former NFL player, he knows the mind-set of players in the locker room during the good times and the bad times. Players believe in him because he's consistent.

When the Steelers were 7-5 last season, Cowher did his best coaching, and because he had veteran players and great character in his locker room, the players understood the message.

"Coach Cowher has played the game, and he's a great leader," Hartings said. "He doesn't overreact, and he doesn't let us overreact about good things or bad things. Every guy in the locker room has a great deal of respect for him. He doesn't say things that are totally out there to get an effect from the team. When we were 7-5, he told us to evaluate ourselves because we weren't playing as well as we thought."

Because of the character within Cowher's locker room, the veterans looked at their performances and agreed. They had to pick up their games. On the verge of being eliminated from the playoff race, the margin for error was slim. Then the Steelers went on their roll and won the Super Bowl.

These types of stories underscore how hard it is to crack the elite group of franchises that own a Lombardi Trophy. It also shows why teams can repeat. If a team has players with the character to win one, they know what it takes to win another. Bill Belichick assembled the right group of players to win it three times in New England. From Bill Walsh to Noll to Lombardi to Jimmy Johnson to Joe Gibbs to Bill Parcells, they know the types of players and the type of leadership needed to win multiple Super Bowls.

"Defensively and offensively, you have to have the type of leaders who work hard and [who] don't want to let them down as players," Hartings said. "Offensively, you need to be calm and under control. Defensively, you need to be kind of wild, loud and enthusiastic, and we have those type of loud guys on defense."

Without those kinds of leaders and that type of character, it's easy to see why so many teams come up short. The Super Bowl club is about as elite as it gets in sports.

This should be swatted.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This should be swatted.
    Why? Given time, this thread will thrive.

Anyhoo, back on topic, looks like Duce Staley may be cut by the weekend.

http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_241085733.html

Coach Cowher Could Comment On Cuts

(KDKA/AP) PITTSBURGH Steelers Coach Bill Cowher hasn't said much about whether Duce Staley's job is in jeopardy so far, but he could comment on that and yesterday's cuts at a news conference this morning.

The Steelers released eight players on Monday – including four rookies, including Safety Zach Baker, Kicker Mark Brubaker, Offensive Tackle Nick Hagemann and Offensive Guard Grayling Love.

The team also released Fullback Doug Easlick, Center Kyle Andrews, Linebacker Malcolm Postell and Wide Receiver Isaac West to bring the roster down to 75 players.

NFL teams must trim their rosters to 53 by Saturday.

As for whether or not Staley will be among the cuts in the days ahead, Cowher told reporters yesterday, "I'm not ready to sit here and say that he isn't or he is. The bottom line is that we have some tough decisions coming Thursday."

Cowher went on to add, "I like the experience that he brings and what he's done. He's gotten better each week."

While Staley was on pace a couple of years ago for one of the best seasons by a Steelers running back, the former starter has looked slow during training camp and the team's first preseason games with only 46 yards on 23 carries.

The Steelers kick off their final game of the preseason on Thursday night at Heinz Field against the Carolina Panthers.

Coach Cowher will hold his pre-game news conference at 11am at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex on the Southside.

+ Reply to Thread