+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 107
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: The official Steeler fan thread

Syndicate Emeritus, Site Co-Founder Taymelo's Avatar
    I like when Bill Cowher gets angry, and spits while he's yelling.

That's all I've got on this subject, folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by WH Press Sec. Tony Snow
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taymelo
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

I'm Varsity chump. You're J.V.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraserburn
    I was pulling for the steelers yesterday and i was happy to see them win
    especially with "MSU's" vanderchoke missing that field goal

im sorry though that i am nota true steelers fan
    truth be known Im a Bears fan.....
    MSU? He went to West Virginia didn't he?

I picked the Steelers to go to the Super Bowl when the playoffs started. Unfortunately, I have them losing to Seattle.

They're probably my second-favorite NFL team due to Big Ben Roethlisberger being from a town very close to me.

Blog Entries
    Maybe you are thinking of Paul Edinger? Morten Anderson?
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Raiders Blow, Lions Blow, and I've always loved The Bus, so here I am.
    die bitch. i hope jack tatum bears down on your soul for the rest of your life

sorry about the bitch part, you damn traitor
    Take it easy man, i'm on Team C here! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Maybe you are thinking of Paul Edinger? Morten Anderson?
    haha no vanderjagt signed with MSU as a QB in 1988
    ended up going to West Virgina as a kicker
    Kelly Youngblood: Don't take any shit from them Canucks. To them,
    you're just another wetback, crossing the border to play their game.
    Dean Youngblood: They'll never catch me!
    Kelly Youngblood: Oh, they'll catch you.

Blog Entries
    I can't believe that Porter is not going to be fined.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=2296578

Report: Porter won't be fined for comments on refs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

The NFL admitted getting a crucial call wrong in the Steelers' victory over the Colts on Sunday. Now, reportedly, the league is prepared to give the Steelers' Joey Porter a break for his response.

An NFL source told ESPN2 Cold Pizza contributor Bob Glauber that Porter will not be fined for his comments about NFL officials following Sunday's game. Also, the Beaver (Pa.) County Times is reporting that Porter was told by coach Bill Cowher that he won't be fined.

When Troy Polamalu's fourth-quarter interception was overturned by referee Pete Morelli, Porter felt the Steelers were facing opponents on two fronts: the Colts and the refs.

"I know they wanted Indy to win this game," Porter said after the game. "The whole world loves Peyton Manning, but come on man, don't take the game away from us.

"I felt they were cheating us. When the interception happened, everybody in the world knew that was an interception. Don't cheat us that bad. When they did that, they really want Peyton Manning and these guys to win the Super Bowl. They are just going to straight take it for them. I felt that they were like 'We don't even care if you know we're cheating. We're cheating for them.' "

Mike Pereira, the league's vice president of officiating, said in a statement that Morelli should have let the call on the field stand.

"He maintained possession long enough to establish a catch," Pereira said. "Therefore, the replay review should have upheld the call on the field that it was a catch and fumble."

Cowher dismissed Porter's angry comments Tuesday, calling them "ridiculous."

"Joey's comments at the end of the game were certainly made out of frustration," Cowher said. "But there's no conspiracy or things of that nature. That's ridiculous."
    Find a new slant.

haha i'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after that brutal officiating job
    the Officials in all 4 games last weekend were pretty weak
    and i think the NFL knows that and just wants to sweep this under the rug
    Kelly Youngblood: Don't take any shit from them Canucks. To them,
    you're just another wetback, crossing the border to play their game.
    Dean Youngblood: They'll never catch me!
    Kelly Youngblood: Oh, they'll catch you.

Blog Entries
    I thought some of the Steeler fans here would enjoy this, I did.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

No, Steelers didn't steal their logo -- but even today, it's not theirs

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
    February 2, 2006

DETROIT (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Steelers' logo is one of the best-known in pro sports, the three starlike symbols that decorate one side -- and only one side -- of their black-as-coal helmets.

Many NFL fans think they represent Pittsburgh's three rivers, or the diamond shape of the city's downtown.

Here's the surprise: the Steelers' symbol isn't theirs, and never was. Instead, it belongs to the country's steel industry and originally had nothing to do with football, Pittsburgh or the Steelers.

An even bigger surprise: the idea for the Steelers to wear it came from, of all cities, Cleveland.

Before 1962, the Steelers' most-used logo was a punter booming a kick while balanced on a steel beam -- a fitting symbol given how often they punted in those days. Before that season, executives of Cleveland-based Republic Steel suggested the Steelers wear a new emblem called the Steelmark, originally designed for U.S. Steel.

The Steelmark contained the word "steel" and the trio of four-pointed stars, known as hypocycloids, in yellow, orange and blue.

Initially, the colors were to represent the attributes of steel but, that proved confusing and were quickly changed to stand for the three materials used in steelmaking (yellow for coal, orange for iron ore, blue for scrap steel).

OK, so how does this relate to Mean Joe Greene, Rod Woodson and Ben Roethlisberger?

Dan Rooney, the son of Steelers founder Art Rooney, liked Republic Steel's suggestion and agreed to adopt the Steelmark after the American Iron and Steel Institute, which officially owned the symbol, gave its approval.

Helmet logos were nothing new in the NFL; the 1948 Rams were the first team to display them.

"I thought it was a good idea, but I wasn't sure how it would be received," said Dan Rooney, now the team's chairman. "That's why it's only on one side of the helmet. Then we took it from there, and we had everybody asking questions and I said, `Let's keep it that way. It's really a novelty."'

Hence why the logo, to this day, is on only one side of the helmet (it's also been rumored the team's longtime equipment manager, Jack Hart, wasn't happy with slapping the logo on so many helmets and refused to do both sides).

Four Steelers players -- running backs John Henry Johnson and Dick Hoak, quarterback Bobby Layne and receiver Buddy Dial -- proudly held up the logo for publicity photos when it was introduced before that 1962 training camp.

At the time, the Steelers were No. 2 in town to the Pirates in popularity and were looking for anything to sell more tickets or drum up interest. Not long before, they were the first NFL team to have cheerleaders (who, unlike the steel symbol, proved to be a short-lived idea.)

"We held up this big old Steeler emblem, and we got our picture taken with it," said Hoak, the team's running backs coach and a Steelers player or coach all but one of the last 45 years. "But I don't remember how we reacted to it -- I mean, an emblem's an emblem."

Not to a Steelers fan looking forward to Sunday's Super Bowl against Seattle, it isn't.

The Steelers had a surprisingly good record (9-5) in 1962, so they chose to keep the logo, with two changes. One, the helmets were switched from gold to black. Second, the Steelers were given permission to change the word "Steel" in the logo to "Steelers."

The logo hasn't changed since, fittingly enough for a franchise that has switched head coaches only once since 1969 and values consistency and tradition.

"I knew it was a good one, a good symbol and said what we were. It said steel," Dan Rooney said. "It's still good."
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread