+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tampa 2 defense

Maybe it's too difficult but I think teams should be able to switch looks on defense and throw 3 or 4 LB's on the field at different times in the game. It adds confusion for the opposing offense and if the 4-3 isn't working against a team being able to switch into a 3-4 to give the other team a wrinkle is a great move, IMO.

I watch the Dolphins with my Sunday Ticket a lot and Saban seems to switch his defense between the 3-4 and the 4-3 and he even will drop Jason Taylor into a LB spot. I would like to see us do things like that with Kalimba or one of the DE's in the draft that we might get.

All this is out the window though coz we're gonna be watching a lot of the same defense this year and that's what I don't like about the Tampa 2 defense. You need good/great defensive players to make it work and we are lacking enough play makers on D.

3-4 is a bad idea with the Lions personnel. The last thing we need is more linebackers. They all suck except for holmes. Don't touch the front 4, they are the best part of our defense. Get better at LB and at safety and run the Tampa 2.
    Destiny

not to mention Edwards will get paid somewhere else. I think he'll be gone.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Who is going to end up playing MLB in this scheme. Since the MLB is going to have a huge responsibility in the middle of the field, especially in coverage, I don't think Holmes will be retained. Lehman may have to be our MLB next year and I'm not sure I am comfortable with that.

I think Lehman will be. The only way I see it not being Lehman is if we trade down and MLB is the best player available. I think we'll end up with a DE or OT in the first, and grab a OLB in the 2nd or 3rd to make Lehman the MLB.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

If we don't get anyone else Lehman is the guy, IMO but I don't think our MLB is on the team yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ACfromtheD
    Who is going to end up playing MLB in this scheme. Since the MLB is going to have a huge responsibility in the middle of the field, especially in coverage, I don't think Holmes will be retained. Lehman may have to be our MLB next year and I'm not sure I am comfortable with that.
    Unfortunately for us, he is our best LB right now. Even though he is a bad fit for the Cover 2 scheme, I would rather hang on to him given our LB's injury history.

The Dungy 'D' can be done dirt cheap

This is the way rabbits take over a neighborhood. First you see one, then you see five. Next thing you know they are everywhere and you can't protect your vegetables.

Three of the most effective defensive teams in the NFL this season -- the Bears, Colts and Bucs -- used "Dungy Defenses." Three more teams -- the Vikings, Lions and Bills -- will employ Dungy's principles next season.

The Vikings might not be running the scheme if not for the success the Bears had with it. New Minnesota coach Brad Childress says he believes running the Dungy Defense will be particularly beneficial in the NFC North, where the Bears are kings. "What better way to prepare for it than practice against it every day?" Childress says.

And Childress believes running the Dungy Defense should be as problematic for opposing offenses as it will be beneficial for the Vikings' offense. Childress is accustomed to game-planning against the Dungy "D," having faced a version of the scheme 11 times in the past six seasons. "It does give you some problems," he says. "It's disruptive on the outside routes with all the two-deep (coverage) they play."

The Dungy Defense is being duplicated mostly because the teams that have used it have had success with it. It helps that the scheme is easy to learn. Rookies can acclimate faster (see Bears safety Chris Harris). Veterans can step in quickly (see Colts defensive tackle Corey Simon). "It's simple," Lions president Matt Millen says. "If it's done right, you clean up all the gray area. You get everything defined so there are fewer questions for guys to answer. They know where they fit. They know what their responsibilities are."

The Bears play eight-man fronts on running downs. They drop into cover 2 on passing downs. They run only five coverages from their base defense: cover 2 and cover 3, which they play about 70 percent of the time, zone blitz and two forms of man (cover 1 and all-out blitz). In the nickel, they use four coverages.

Chicago runs three blitzes from its standard package and three from its nickel package. The Bears blitzed in passing situations only about 14 percent of the time this season, though they also run blitzed about 14 percent of the time. The key for Chicago's defense isn't the volume of blitzes, it's the timing. Coordinator Ron Rivera makes them count.

The streamlined approach has resulted in rapid growth in the two years coach Lovie Smith has been in charge of the Bears. "Our inventory as a defensive unit is small enough to where we are able to practice our base stuff every week," linebackers coach Bob Babich says. "And every week, no matter who we're playing, we're able to get better at those things." The more comfortable the Bears are with their responsibilities, the faster they play.

Players warm to the scheme because it allows them to cut it loose with a minimal amount of deliberation. "You get enthusiasm, you get people flying to the ball, those kinds of things," Colts president Bill Polian says.

And that, in Millen's mind, is the key. "It's not what you're doing; it's how you're doing it," he says. "What Tampa has created success with is not the coverage. It's not the concept. It's that they get everybody busting their (butts) to get where they have to go. That's the thing."

Finding players to fit a Dungy Defense can be easy, but the Vikings, Lions and Bills likely will be in a transition phase next season. They'll probably need to weed out -- or slim down -- some of their overstuffed linemen and find faster linebackers.

Corners for man-to-man schemes can be impossible to find, but corners for this scheme are as easy to come by as junk mail. They don't have to have imposing size, top speed or outstanding man-to-man coverage skills. All they need are instinct, discipline and toughness. The Bears' Nathan Vasher is a perfect example of a corner who might not fare well in some schemes, but he made the Pro Bowl playing for Smith.

The Dungy Defense isn't for everybody. But if it's run correctly, it sure can be hard on opponents' vegetables.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...ic.php?t=60619

I think Detroit COULD run a 3-4 with Cody, Rogers and Redding on the line and Bailey, Lehman, Holmes and Edwards as the backers. Hall would be used for situational plays.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro34
    I think Detroit COULD run a 3-4 with Cody, Rogers and Redding on the line and Bailey, Lehman, Holmes and Edwards as the backers. Hall would be used for situational plays.
    No thanks. I'd rather run the tampa 2. We already have the fast LB's to play it I think, and our CB's are not good man to man CB's anyway. The only thing we are missing really is a DE opposite Hall (maybe Redding can improve enough with Marinelli here), and maybe another LB to replace Holmes (I'm not big on Davis starting at all).

+ Reply to Thread