+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Michigan NOT Elite?

Re: Michigan NOT Elite?

Quote Originally Posted by DrTre11
    Just to lay the ground work. For the last year, I've been making the claim that while Michigan is an Elite football program historically, they are not currently among the the Elite programs currently.
    Well Michigan just got a commitment from the #1 CB in the country in 5 star Jai Eugene. You've got to be pretty elite to get a commit like that all the way from the state of Louisiana.

#1 CB and 5 star stunna Jai Eugene is a Wolverine. :headbang:

"The Forcier is strong with this one." - Boda.

Define "elite".

I remember the day when K State would schedule 3 or 4 shit teams on their schedule to hold their high ranking. How about FSU and the (up until recently) weak assed ACC, or Miami several years back and the shithole known as the Big East?

I say, consisstently put out 9 wins or more a season in a real conference, and you are fucking elite.

God these threads are ludicrous. We had 1 fucking bad year, and acts like 100 years of history mean nothing.

The previous two seasons we were 19-5. Had it not been for losses to the two teams that won national championships the following seasons, we would have been 21-3. I think a team can get somewhat of a pass on losing a game to the #1 team without catching too much crap for it.

Let's get real. Is it embarrassing that Michigan has struggled recently against Notre Dame and Ohio State? Absolutely. Is Texas elite even though this is the first time in 10,000 years they beat Oklahoma? Is Notre Dame elite even though State owns them? Is Ohio State elite even though they have their struggles? Admit it, all the ACC and SEC teams have their demons. Oklahoma was probably elite, but they probably fell too if one bad season allows it. I'm guessing they'll be back next year. But even they have their demons - it's called the championship game. Oh, and Oklahoma State too. USC had a Cal demon for a while.

Can someone please give me a definition of elite that applies across the board and then list off the teams that fit that description in the two major college sports? Don't go with some vague answer either - it has to be quantitative for it to be anything more than opinion, since that's all we've been given so far. "ESPN said so" isn't quantitative. You've blaimed the media for hyping some of these teams in the first place. You can't then turn around and take their statements as fact.

By the way - one last thing. You need to be a lot more responsible when you start throwing around lines and calling them Lloyd Carr's words. First of all, you claimed the headline was regarding the fall from the ranks of elite. You have to know I'm going to check things like that out. The REAL line is "U-M coach steamed about fall from glory". That was a cut and past I just did direct from the Free Press. And it's not even the headline, it's a by-line to a story about Carr shuffling the assistant coaches. I can see how that would still fit your description if there was one essential element, however, that is missing. Did you happen to read the article? Did you see the Carr quote where he said that? No, you didn't, because there was none. That's right. It was Rosenberg's interpretation of the Carr move. Of course Carr is shuffling assistants. That's what coaches do after disappointing seasons. It's how they stay elite. You know what I find intersting? When I sat and watched Corso and Herbstreit give their lists of the top 5 for next season and I heard Ohio State in there both times, I was amazed to later hear every other member of the media talk about how Michigan would win the Big Ten next year. I heard it most recently yesterday from the crew doing the All-American game. Tom Lemming, who camps out on Ted Ginn's nuts, was certain Michigan would win the Big Ten next year. Now Lemming is a recruiting expert, not an expert at picking winners in college. I'm just saying he's been the latest in a long line of people continuing to give Michigan credit as the best team in arguably the best conference. That smells a lot like elite to me. Everyone who has talked about the disappointing years Michigan, Oklahoma, Tennessee and others have had this season has quickly turned around and said they expect them to rebound strong next season. Why? Because that's what those programs do. Because they are elite.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

JethrOWNED!!!! :twisted:

Loss to Illinios...
    Blown out by Wisconsin...

Wasnt someone saying MSU wins their big games??

HAHA.

At least they recruit well.

Art
    What is a budkow.....isnt that something I shit out of?

Quote Originally Posted by Artermis
    HAHA.

At least they recruit well.

Art
    I dont really think they recruit well...I just think that Izzo is a god of coaching and gets EVERYTHING out of his players.

They recruit pretty well too. BTW one of the things that was told Lucas to get him to sign with MSU is that MSU is a pipeline to the NBA.

Art
    What is a budkow.....isnt that something I shit out of?

Yeah...I got word to today that some of the coaches around the metro Detroit area feel that Lucas will be the best PG since Magic at MSU...

Being a Michigan fan, that is great to hear... :roll:

+ Reply to Thread