+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 23
FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: LOL@Isiah and the Knicks

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    The revolution is in all the teams that continue to pay him after he keeps getting traded. every pg he's been replaced with has helped the team win after his departure.

LOL@steve francis leaving Orlando being considered a subtraction. The way those two play ball. You're better off w/o them.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Report: Dolan seriously considering an LB Buyout...

There are two sources which are reporting that Dolan is of currently working on a buyout if the final 4 years of LB's deal. One sources claims that Dolan is only thinking about the possibility of a buyout. The other source says it is only a matter of getting an agreeable dollar amount on paper, to complete the buyout. In the coming weeks the truth will come out.

Additionally Dolan is not totally sold on Zeke's job security but the feeling among many of Dolan's officals and those close to him is Dolan believes, Zeke did what he could but LB tanked to get Zeke fire, or atleast didn't do all that he could have to make the Knicks better. If Kiki is interested in the Knicks Zeke could be gone if that happens look for the Knicks to go the cheap on the HC coaching opening meaning Mussleman, Bzedelik and former interim HC of the Knicks fit the bill of good but cheap. There is an outside shot that if Zeke keeps his job he will try to hire former Piston team mate Bill Laimbeer.

If LB is bought out look for him to do the "honorable" thing and either help out a friend with a sick son and take over the Nuggets or try help out a troubled kid who has a bad repuation in Sacramento.
    Last edited by JS; 05-14-2006 at 03:22 AM.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    When does Lenny Wilkens stop getting paid??

Blog Entries
    It's even better than you described JS, if Isiah tries to coach this team it's going be to great!

If I'm LB and they are going to pay me to get out of that place, I wouldn't even blink.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2444469

Report: Dolan considers buying out Brown's contractESPN.com news services

Larry Brown's dream job with the New York Knicks could end after only one season.

Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan, who's upset over Brown's record and the coach's public criticism of his players, is considering buying out the final four years of the coach's contract, the New York Daily News reported in Sunday's editions.

The buyout is worth at least $40 million, the newspaper reported.

The Knicks declined to comment.

One published report indicated Knicks president Isiah Thomas was in line to replace Brown as head coach, the newspaper said, but the team would not confirm nor deny it.

Brown, who led the Knicks to a 23-59 season, has indicated that he will not resign. But the club could avoid having to pay another coach upward of $5 million a year if Thomas takes the job, the Daily News reported. One source told the newspaper that Thomas -- who coached the Pacers from 2000-2003 -- would be amenable to coaching the Knicks.

In April, one day after the Knicks completed one of the worst seasons in franchise history, Thomas said the Hall of Fame coach would return to coach the team for a second season. The underachieving roster was another story.

"I am loyal to winning and I am not loyal to any singular individual," Thomas said then. "I'm going to do what I need to do to make our team better. ...

"When you won 23 games, I think we'll make some changes," he said. "Coach and I haven't sat down and fully decided what changes we'll make, but we'll probably make some changes."
    Find a new slant.

If he gets bought out, how much money would LB have ended up making in the past 12 months? The buyout from Detroit, year 1 of NY's salary, then their buyout (if true).

He knows how to make his employers CTC.

Is Larry the richest coach in NBA history?

He's going to get his 2nd massive buyout in 2 years.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Even with Larry's recent fortunes, I bet Pat Riley has more -- the books, the commercials, trademarking "threepeat", gravitating toward big markets, etc.

Blog Entries
    Yesterday's Vescey column.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05142006/sports/63701.htm

COULD BE BROWN & OUT COULD BE BROWN AND OUT

By PETER VECSEY

May 14, 2006 -- HOOP DU JOUR AMONG the "celebrities" who ambled over to Lincoln Center to watch David Blaine immerse himself in a water bubble was Isiah Thomas. If anybody can appreciate someone who stands around the West Side doing nothing, it's the Knicks president.

Then again, should information from a high-level team source prove precise, I'll be forced to wolf those words.

According to that Knicks hearing aide, Thomas suddenly has a plan; who cares if it's borrowed from his bosses? From what I'm told, Cablevision boss James Dolan and Garden President Steve Mills are endorsing the buyout of Larry Brown's remaining $44 million, four-year obligation, and strongly urging Thomas to take over as head coach, a position he held for three years with the Pacers.

That's one way, I guess, of holding Thomas accountable. Since replacing Scott Layden 21/2 seasons ago, he's assembled and re-assembled the roster.

Presumably, he thinks his chosen ones can play more than a lick.

Presumably, he still likes most, contrary to Brown, who loathes most, none more than Stephon Marbury, Isiah's poisonous pet who recoils on orders. That's why Stephon didn't make his season-ending speech to the media, as threatened; his cult figure commanded him to holster his fangs.

Presumably, Thomas will be able to extract more energy, caring and loyalty from his recruits than a drill instructor who habitually rags them in public. Marbury won't exactly be the only player celebrating, should Brown be bounced.

The way I hear it, Thomas is positive the Knicks will improve appreciably with him in charge. He's confident a tweak here, a tweak there, and his talent pool's win total will soar from 23 to close to break even.

For months, the piqued, the turned off and the tuned out have advocated the deportation of Mills, Thomas, Brown and Marbury, altogether aware it would never remotely happen in its entirety during this off-season or, considering their bloated contracts, in seasons to come.

Convincing Dolan to extinguish himself is a more practical prospect. You can't as much as tempt him to sell his family cable company and all its accoutrements; it's not like people haven't made the effort.

"The only way to get the Knicks out of Dolan's clutches," groans the above-mentioned insider, someone who's been there, tried that, "is to pry it from his cold hands." At the very least (at best, in other words), the popular rumination by those lost in a daydream is that even Dolan, Mills and Thomas must recognize that Brown and Marbury cannot return for another venomous go-around.

One pollutant or the other - hopefully both - must be eradicated before next season's projected mediocre presentation is too far gone to resuscitate.

Unless Brown's health issues - and advantageous insurance clauses - compel him to split, that would have seemed to leave Marbury as the odd man out. Judging by quotes from Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor, it's not unreasonable to visualize a trade to re-acquire Kevin Garnett's former kindergarten playmate.

That was the common-held belief. Yet, we figured wrong.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/66071.htm

END OF LINE FOR LARRY

By MARC BERMAN

May 15, 2006 -- Larry Brown underwent another bladder surgery last Friday and now this week he's expected to get cut again. By the Knicks.

Yes, Brown's days as Knicks coach are numbered.

According to sources, Brown is on the firing line, sources said, because he never acknowledged the talent assembled was better than their 23-59 record. Brass is worried it can't acquire the type of players Brown needs to win.

Owner James Dolan and Garden president Steve Mills believe the Knicks will be hard pressed to ransack the roster to Brown's liking. Hence the Knicks are exploring a divorce because of a irreconcible differences on the quality of the assembled cast.

Nearly four weeks after their tragic season ended, Dolan is expected to seek a buyout settlement this week, with president Isiah Thomas the leading candidate to inherit the coaching reins, taking over in a dual role.

In a bizarre irony, Brown went under the knife Friday in one last attempt to correct his bladder problem, The Post has learned. Brown's health has been a major issue the past two seasons. "He got out of the hospital on Friday, so I haven't spoken to him," Knicks assistant coach Phil Ford said. "I called to wish him well but he's recuperating from the operation. We were told the operation was a success." (Brown's condition forced him to use a catheter.)

According a source, the Knicks have not yet approached Brown's agent, Joe Glass, who was blindsided by a phone call about Peter Vecsey's front-page story in the Sunday Post that Dolan is considering buying out Brown and replacing him with Thomas, citing a high-level team source.

Unless this bad marriage can be repaired quickly, Brown's Knick tenure will last one season and he will own the worst career winning percentage in Knick coaching history (.280).

The Knicks did not deny Vecsey's story. "We're not going to comment on it," said Garden spokesman Barry Watkins. "We're not going to comment until when and if there's something to comment on."

Negotiations could turn ugly, knowing Glass' hard-line style, as he'll probably want the full money. Brown would be owed close to $40 million if the Knicks just fire him. But Brown could be amenable to taking less because of his age (65), health woes and the Kings' job opening. Brown's wife, Shelly, is from California. The Knicks begin their predraft workouts at their Westchester practice facility next Monday and would like to have Brown's future ironed out before then.

"I have no comment and that doesn't confirm or disconfirm (the story)," Glass told The Post. "I'm not going to comment on something I haven't read or intend to read. I'm not going to comment on any conversations I've had with Isiah Thomas over the past year."

In Memphis in March, Dolan was asked if he expected more results after paying $50 million for Brown. The Knicks owner said tellingly, "That's a misnomer. I've only spent two-thirds of one season."

The organization was astounded the club finished with 10 fewer wins than last season after adding Eddy Curry, Jalen Rose and Steve Francis. Brown, who broke the NBA record for most starting lineups (43), was often critical of the roster's makeup.

Brown's removal would be a horrible reflection on the Hall-of-Fame coach, illustrating how difficult he is to work with. Two owners in a span of 10 months wanted nothing to do with him anymore. Even after leading the Pistons to two straight Finals, Pistons owner Bill Davidson wanted him gone.

While it would seem a gigantic financial hit to the Knicks, a league source pointed out keeping Brown would cause the player payroll to expand even more. One of Brown's wishes in upgrading the roster is trading for Kenyon Martin and his $70 million contract, despite his bad knees and bad attitude.

According to a source, Thomas feels he cannot satisfy Brown's demands of making major trades, despite a serious inquiry into Chicago's Ben Gordon. "Look at their roster, who can they trade other than the young guys and get something good back," said another league source who has spoken to Thomas about the matter.

That source said Thomas does not want to trade his three first-round selections from last year - Nate Robinson, David Lee and Channing Frye, nor Eddy Curry. He also does not believe he can get close to value on Stephon Marbury, whom Brown also wants dealt. That Marbury and Brown had a bitter feud doesn't help Brown's cause. Plus, several players quit on Brown during the season. Bringing roughly the same crew back could spell disaster. The Knicks have two late first-round picks. Brown said in March he'd rather package them because they had enough young players.

During breakup day April 19, Thomas was in a subdued mood when he said lukewarmly Brown would return.

marc.berman@nypost.com
    Find a new slant.

Why isn't this in the LOL@Knicks thread?
    STEW BEEF!

+ Reply to Thread