+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Official Detroit Titan basketball thread

Blog Entries

The Official Detroit Titan basketball thread

This is for DetTitan.

I'm adopting the Titans to make him happy.

Anyone want to join me?
    Find a new slant.

Haha, thanks man.

Here are some Titan facts.

Dick Vitale coached the Titans in the 70's.

Dave DeBusschere (NBA HOF) played here and was a four time all-american.

NBA Legend Spencer Haywood, first collegiate player ever to leave school early went to U of D.

Terry Tyler, the pistons previous leader in shot blocks before Ben Wallace claimed that record also went here. John Long, another piston, who has a ring on the 89 team was Tyler's teammate under Vitale. They were known as Thunder and Lighting and are the reason for the Pistons retro unis from last year.

Current 76ers Willie Green (injured right now) played at U of D. As well as the Bucks Jermaine Jackson.

The Titans play in the Horizon League with 8 other teams. Butler, Loyola, UW-Milwaukee, UW-Green Bay, Wright State, Cleveland St., Youngstown St. and Univ. Illinois Chicago.

They are the only Division I basketball program in the City of Detroit. They missed the NCAA tournament by 2 points last year in a one point loss to eventually cinderella Milwaukee.

Current Roster includes MSU transfer Brandon Cotton and Mohammed Abdur-Rahim, brother of Shareef.

That is just a few facts...I hope we can get more people to our games. We are such a small school and that makes it hard. Especially with only 800 students living on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by George Dubya Bush
    *thumbs down*
    Why's that Dubya?

I wonder how many people know any of that stuff I posted.

They are a very important influence on Detroit Sports and Detroit Sports history.

This year we are 7-8 so far. We are playing without our starting center (all-defensive first team) and our starting pg. Brandon Bell. Brother of former MSU guard Charlie Bell. We are very inconsisant and play defenisve low scoring basketball. We went into Freedom Hall to pay #10 Louisville and were down by 5 with 30 seconds to go. Final margin was 8. But we are also inconsistant. We lost by 30 plus points to Oklahoma State and South Carolina.

Calihan Hall is a great arena. It just needs more people to come out and support the titans. Back in the 70's. They were selling the place out. Including over 11,000 for a game against Marquette. It only seats 8,200.
    For a city that loves basketball so much, Its a shame to see so many empty seats. Even just a few years ago when the team was won two NCAA tourney games over UCLA and St. Johns and went to an NIT final four with the schools all time leading scorer Rashad Phillips, the place was getting 5,000 a game. Right now , it has dipped below 2000 this year. But many games have been during breaks.

Terrell Owens will be hosting a slam dunk event there during the week of the superbowl. That should be interesting.

Dubya = Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by theMUHMEshow
    Dubya = Thumbs down

Muhme = Thumbs up.... his own ass... lol!

Hey Muhme, I know you supported the Titans over on the Inferno board. I need to get a way to get some free tix to 1270 for them to give away. How would I go about doing that. Valenti said he would give them away. I have to pick them up from the athletic department at the next game.

I love Titan ball and I think they should be more popular than they are...

Check your PM...that should take care of it for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by theMUHMEshow
    I love Titan ball and I think they should be more popular than they are...
    What do you think can be done to get more people out. Of course more consistant winning would bring more people. But even back during the days of Rashad they were getting 5,000 to my knowledge. And those were good crowds, but not sellouts.

Blog Entries
    When do my Titans play their next game?
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread