+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Mateen Cleaves Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This is the same outing that produced the Steve Smith retirement anouncement last year?
    Yeah. With any luck, I'll be back with another WTFDetroit.com EXCLUSIVE this year, maybe Peplowski will announce that he's attempting a comeback or something.
    Find a new slant.

Dogging Mateen, I get that. But actually looking forward to seeing Frank Williams play? Wha? So you can see if his career 27% FG mark is for real?
    I want the pain. I want the black part of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I'm waiting for a D's Nuts sighting
    Here is your sighting big fella!!!

This could be the greatest day of my life. I buy a new car, get a raise at work, and BAM! Mateen is back in action in a D-Town uniform. HOly schnikees!!!

Seriously though, he doesnt have a chance.

Famous Bill Walton quotes:

"Shaq's arrogance is an insult to people who think."

Bill: "What, Phoenix? Are they still paying you?"
    Jalen: "Yeah, under the table."
    Bill: "Yeah, just like at Michigan."

“Oh my, Kobe is really putting on a show out there. He’s making Ray Allen look like a sixth grader!”

Blog Entries
    http://www.startribune.com/507/story/1233170.html

Among the players comprising the Timberwolves summer league team that will play in Las Vegas will be Randy Foye, Craig Smith, Rashad McCants and Loukas Mavrokefalidis. In addition, there will be: Greg Brunner of Iowa, who played with the Wolves' summer league team last year; Ryan Bowen, who bounced around the league for seven or eight years and who played overseas last year; and Mateen Cleaves, the point guard from Michigan State who has played with several NBA teams.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries

Catching Up With Mateen

http://ghostsofwaynefontes.blogspot....th-mateen.html

Wednesday, August 8, 2007
    Catching Up With Mateen

You may not know much about him nor care, but Mateen Cleaves holds a dear and special place in my heart. And that’s why I’m going to tell you a little more about the man, the myth and the legend. Hopefully, you’ll become well acquainted with Mateen and understand just what a warrior the dude really was - and still is for that matter.

Mateen Cleaves fell into Tom Izzo's lap after Maurice Taylor, Tractor Traylor and some remnants of the dying Michigan Basketball program nearly killed the poor guy. They flipped a Ford Explorer he was a passenger in, during a recruiting visit. From the moment he stepped foot onto the campus in East Lansing he brought with him "hope."

He helped lead the Michigan State Spartans to several Big 10 Championships, as well as few births in the Final Four. He was able to will his team with that warrior mentality during the 2000 NCAA tournament, in a couple epic comebacks along the way. The Spartans would go on to win their first National Championship since 1979 that same year. You may recall a fellow by the name of Magic Johnson led that '79 title team.

Anyhow, Spartan fans will always remember the infamous Teddy Dupay of Florida, who undercut Cleaves, leading to sprained ankle in the title game. Cleaves disappeared to the locker room, but returned in Willis Reed like fashion to lead the Spartans to the title. Who could ever forget those words: “It FEEL GOOD!” Yup, we know Mateen it sure did feel good. And my god, it only seems like yesterday.

Well, Cleaves hasn’t exactly been rolling in success on the basketball court since that magical night. He was originally drafted by the Detroit Pistons, but simply dwindled away into mediocrity before they shipped him out of town. He spent sometime as the highest paid cheerleader in the NBA on the Sacramento, Cleveland and Seattle benches. His notoriously atrocious looking sweaters, perhaps even led to the NBA enforced dress code.

Anyhow, Cleaves stuck it out. He stuck around; despite not smelling a lick of the basketball court and often times he may or may not have even been issued a game uniform. However, not once did any of that stuff deter Cleaves from staying positive and learning from the game. As he said on draft night “I’m a Warrior.” Yup, the prophecy holding so true, as most would’ve just thrown in the towel and called it good.

His final cut was in 2005-06 with the Sonics, but since then he has surfaced overseas, in the development league and most recently around NBA Summer leagues. In fact, Cleaves was invited to participate in the summer league that just passed with the Minnesota Timberwolves. Rumor has it, KG demanded to be traded on the premise that Cleaves would probably not make the team…I joke, I kid.

In reality, Cleaves was commended over the camp, but not for spectacular play. He averaged a mere 12 minutes a game to go along with 5.2 ppg and about 1 assist. Rather, Cleaves was an elder statesman who competed and provided the younger players with honest advice. To many, Cleaves would be considered an NBA casualty. However, he never left school early or forfeited his education for basketball.

He stuck out a dream and continues to chase that dream, even though he knows he may be chasing shadows. He’s never been a man about ego and his representation at Summer Camp, further backed the notion. “Lot of guys my age won’t play Summer League. Not me, It’s not about ego. I have no ego, nothing. I just want to play basketball. And I still think I can do it here.”

Cleaves never felt entitled to anything and that's an attitude he tried to share with many of the rookies and younger players playing in their first summer league. He was never the most talented guy on the block, but his heart more than made up for any athleticism he lack. At nearly 30 years old now and a life as a journeyman who rides the pine, it's only inevitable that his career will soon be coming to an end.

You probably won't see his name on any NBA roster this fall, but don't disregard any possible influence he may of had on players such as Corey Brewer or Randy Foye. Cleaves will continue to work on his game in the meantime and play the game he loves, but don't ever feel sorry for Mateen. He accomplished quite a lot in his Basketball career and will always remain beloved by any who cheer for the Spartans.

He is living proof that despite not making it to the famed lifestyle of an NBA star, it isn't the end of the world. The dude is always happy regardless and really isn't that what is most important? It's a shame more players in the league or trying to make it in the league can't adopt the same attitude, mindset and philosophy Cleaves carries with him on a regular basis. The world would no doubt be a better place with a few more Mateen Cleaves' in it.

And to that I say cheers Mateen. I'll never forget the smile and I'll never forget the night you made the phrase "It FEEL GOOD" stick in our long term memory.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=6929828&nav=0RbQ

Mateen Cleaves Mom Passed Away

Aug 14, 2007 12:34 PM EDT

Some sad news for the Michigan State basketball family. The MSU basketball office has confirmed that the mother of Spartan star Mateen Cleaves has died. There aren't many details known right now. We do know that Frances Cleaves was hospitalized two weekends ago after a swimming pool accident left her unconscious. She died after being in a coma since that accident. Frances Cleaves was last publicly seen in East Lansing this past winter for Mateen's jersey retirement.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    http://www.startribune.com/507/story/1393380.html

Timberwolves coach Randy Wittman said he would like to invite former Michigan State point guard Mateen Cleaves and former Iowa forward Ryan Bowen to training camp after they played well for the team in the Las Vegas summer league.
    I can't shake the image of a white towel waving in a swirling hand, for some reason.
    Find a new slant.

Nets reduce roster by waiving Mateen Cleaves

10/24/2007, 10:37 p.m. EDT

The Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) — The New Jersey Nets waived guard Mateen Cleaves on Wednesday, reducing their preseason roster to 17 players.
    Cleaves, a former Michigan State star who has played for four NBA teams, signed with the Nets on Oct. 1. He played in three preseason games, including one start, and averaged 4.3 points, 1.3 rebounds and 1.3 assists.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    Get cut 13 times, try out 14.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread