+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 06 Lions QB thread - Joey is the guy, King signed

Official 06 Lions QB thread - Joey is the guy, King signed

I'll start with this article, and then post my thoughts in another post.

Despite loss, Lions end season with some positive feelings
    Monday, January 02, 2006
    By Tom Kowalski

PITTSBURGH -- None of the Detroit Lions players lost sight of the fact they were beaten by two touchdowns on Sunday. But, they also don't want team president Matt Millen to lose sight of what happened in the first half, either.

The Lions capped off the 2005 regular season with another loss, a 35-21 defeat to the Pittsburgh Steelers, who needed to win to qualify for the playoffs. The Lions finished with a 5-11 record, their fifth consecutive season with double-digit losses.

Several players, though, believe Detroit's first-half offensive performance is a testament that they could be on the right track. The Steelers, who had given up a total of only 12 points in the previous three games, allowed two Lions touchdowns in the first quarter. The Lions were sharp in every offensive phase.

"It definitely gives us hope," said tight end Marcus Pollard, who had four pass receptions for 50 yards, including an 11-yard touchdown catch. "We took a step tonight. Even though we didn't win, as a group, we took a step in the right direction."

Detroit's offense moved the ball effectively for most of the game, converting 10-of-17 third downs and going 3-for-3 in the red zone. Quarterback Joey Harrington completed 17 of 33 passes for 212 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions and had a passer efficiency rating of 102.1.

"I thought Joey played a good game, a strong game," said Lions interim head coach Dick Jauron. "I thought that he handled things well."

The problem was that three special teams mishaps led directly to 21 first-half Pittsburgh points and then, in the second half, the Steelers' running game took over. The Lions had one full possession in the third quarter -- and scored a touchdown -- but the Steelers didn't allow them many opportunities because Pittsburgh controlled the tempo. In the second half, the Steelers ran 31 times and threw just five passes. The Lions' defense couldn't get Pittsburgh off the field to give their own offense more chances.

"It's not my team, but I believe I'd keep the quarterback. I'd keep Joey," said Lions wide receiver Roy Williams, who had three receptions for 31 yards, including a 15-yard touchdown catch. "He made strides with this team, with the confidence, and I think everybody's starting to respect him now.

"You saw a bunch of big throws. We didn't win, but he put us in a position to win. But, it's a team sport, it's offense, defense and special teams -- you can't win just one or two."

Despite the team's poor record and shaky offensive performance this season, Williams believes the Lions would be better served by keeping most of the team intact and continuing to grow.

"Hopefully, everybody's back. I've only been here two years and I don't want to see a carousel of players coming in and going out," Williams said. "Let's get some continuity, stay together and let's keep this thing rolling."

Center Dominic Raiola echoed Williams' sentiments.

"There's no consolation in a loss, but there was a positive there," Raiola said. "You don't want to shut it down and do what they did in '01 and cut everybody and bring in a whole new team.

"You've got to have continuity. You can see it in Roy, he's taking on the role of a leader. We keep forgetting he's only in his second year, but he's taking that role and taking it to the next level. He played every snap and even more (important) than catching those balls, it was him digging out those safeties in the run game. That's why a few of those runs went, because he was digging out those safeties."

For his part, Harrington admits that it's important to have Williams' support -- but that's just the beginning.

"I'm not trying to prove that I'm not the problem, that's never been my mentality. But, I am trying to get their confidence," Harrington said. "As a quarterback, you need people to believe in you. Every quarterback in this league can play -- it's about the confidence and the trust that people have in the huddle. Everybody has talent, every quarterback can throw the ball, every running back can run and every lineman can block -- that's why you're here.

"Being successful is about having a relationship and a trust and a confidence in the guys in the huddle."

While Harrington is under contract for the next two years, his status is anything but solid. He's scheduled to make $4.45 million in salary next season and he'll also receive a $4 million bonus if he's on the roster on June 15. It appears the decision of whether to keep Harrington will come down to the desires of the new head coach -- whoever that's going to be.

If the Lions keep Harrington, they'll want to restructure his contract to make it more salary cap-friendly. If Harrington wants to leave, though, he can refuse to negotiate and make it tougher for the Lions to keep him.

"The first thing is getting the feeling that I'm wanted. That's issue No. 1," Harrington said. "I don't know what they want to do with me. Two months ago, the consensus was that I was on the first thing smokin' out of town. A month ago, now I'm staying. You can't let yourself get too high or too low. You can't let yourself get caught up in the mentality that the mob picks up."
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Here are the stats on our players:

Passing Statistics
    NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A LNG TD TD% INT INT% SACK YDS RAT
    Joey Harrington 188 330 2021 57.0 6.12 86 12 3.6 12 3.6 24 136 72.0
    Jeff Garcia 102 173 937 59.0 5.42 49 3 1.7 6 3.5 6 34 65.1
    Dan Orlovsky 7 17 63 41.2 3.71 20 0 0.0 0 0.0 1 3 51.8

Possible QB options:

Free Agents
    Player Type 2005 Team
    Anthony Wright UFA Ravens
    Charlie Batch UFA Steelers
    Chris Simms RFA Buccaneers
    Chris Weinke UFA Panthers
    Craig Nall UFA Packers
    Damon Huard UFA Chiefs
    Dave Ragone RFA Texans
    Doug Flutie UFA Patriots
    Drew Brees UFA Chargers
    Jamie Martin UFA Rams
    Jeff Blake UFA Bears
    Jeff Garcia UFA Lions
    Jesse Palmer UFA 49ers
    Jon Kitna UFA Bengals
    Josh McCown UFA Cardinals
    Ken Dorsey RFA 49ers
    Kliff Kingsbury RFA Jets
    Kurt Warner UFA Cardinals
    Sage Rosenfels UFA Dolphins
    Seneca Wallace RFA Seahawks
    Shane Matthews UFA Bills
    Shaun Hill UFA Vikings
    Tim Hasselbeck UFA Giants
    Todd Collins UFA Chiefs
    Ty Detmer UFA Falcons
    Vinny Testaverde UFA Jets

Rumored to be available (probably for first rounders):
    Matt Schaub - Falcons
    Billy Volek or Steve McNair - Titans
    David Garrard - Jags
    Phillip Rivers - SD
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Garcia is gone for sure IMO. So that leaves Joey and Dan. We won't draft one IMO (Lienart and Young will be gone, and I don't think we'll take a chance on Cutler). That means Joey must be back, even if you sign a guy to compete with him. I'll go thru the list and add my opinions...

Free Agents
    Player Type 2005 Team
    Anthony Wright UFA Ravens (worse than Joey, no thanks)
    Charlie Batch UFA Steelers (didn't work before and won't now)
    Chris Simms RFA Buccaneers (Bucs will resign)
    Chris Weinke UFA Panthers (no thanks)
    Craig Nall UFA Packers (no way)
    Damon Huard UFA Chiefs (no way)
    Dave Ragone RFA Texans (no way)
    Doug Flutie UFA Patriots (dust off his walker)
    Drew Brees UFA Chargers (sure, if they let him go)
    Jamie Martin UFA Rams (if the price is right maybe)
    Jeff Blake UFA Bears (no way)
    Jeff Garcia UFA Lions (nope)
    Jesse Palmer UFA 49ers (no way)
    Jon Kitna UFA Bengals (sure)
    Josh McCown UFA Cardinals (no thanks)
    Ken Dorsey RFA 49ers (no way)
    Kliff Kingsbury RFA Jets (who?)
    Kurt Warner UFA Cardinals (no thanks)
    Sage Rosenfels UFA Dolphins (no way)
    Seneca Wallace RFA Seahawks (no way)
    Shane Matthews UFA Bills (no way)
    Shaun Hill UFA Vikings (who?)
    Tim Hasselbeck UFA Giants (no way)
    Todd Collins UFA Chiefs (no way)
    Ty Detmer UFA Falcons (haha)
    Vinny Testaverde UFA Jets (get him a walker too)

Syndicate Emeritus, Site Co-Founder Taymelo's Avatar
    Keep Harrington and bring in a coach with a good pocket passing offense.

I read an interesting stat the other day.

ALL SIX of the last Super Bowl champs had a pocket passer and not a running quarterback. ALL SIX.

So for all the Lion fans that previously said "at least McMahon can make something happen with his feet" or "at least Garcia can make something happen with his feet", or are now saying "at least Aaron Brooks can make something happen with his feet", all you are doing is trying to put a bandaid on the real problem - a poor offensive line.

Harrington with the right offense and a decent line could get us to a Super Bowl - he's immensely more talented than Super Bowl champ Trent Dilfer.
    Quote Originally Posted by WH Press Sec. Tony Snow
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taymelo
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

Blog Entries
    ay, he killed the discussion before it even started

when you play the Dilfer card, it's over

and kittens die
    Find a new slant.

...So, that basically leaves us these 3 plus the backups (Volek/McNair, Schaub, Garrard, Rivers) that could be had for first rounders:

Drew Brees UFA Chargers (sure, if they let him go)
    Jamie Martin UFA Rams (if the price is right maybe)
    Jon Kitna UFA Bengals (sure)

NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A LNG TD TD% INT INT% SACK YDS RAT
    Steve McNair 292 476 3161 61.3 6.64 57 16 3.4 11 2.3 20 134 82.4
    Billy Volek 50 88 474 56.8 5.39 55 4 4.5 2 2.3 9 45 77.6
    Drew Brees 323 500 3576 64.6 7.15 54 24 4.8 15 3.0 27 223 89.2
    Philip Rivers 12 22 115 54.5 5.23 22 0 0.0 1 4.5 3 16 50.4
    Matt Schaub 33 64 495 51.6 7.73 53 4 6.3 0 0.0 6 27 98.1
    Jamie Martin 124 177 1277 70.1 7.22 83 5 2.8 7 4.0 11 78 83.5
    Jon Kitna (career) 1667 2837 18259 58.8 6.44 82 108 104 173 75.3
    David Garrard 98 168 1117 58.3 6.65 37 4 2.4 1 0.6 8 45 83.9

I'm not a fan of trading a first rounder for those guys. They haven't shown me anything to think they are that much better than these 3 FA's, or Joey for that matter. At least not when we could get a monster DE, shut down CB or solidify our OL with that pick. I'll take my chances with Joey and one of these guys as a FA.

The Lions need to bring back Harrington just due to the fact that it's hard to replace a quarterback let alone two quarterbacks. But I do hope that they restructure his contract to make it more cap-friendly.

Other than vets like Johnson, Kitna, Weinke or Volek I wouldn't mind seeing Garrard or Schaub here (that is assuming both Rivers and Brees are retained).

Also I am against trading a first rounder for any of these QB's listed in this thread. Like Chris said, the first rounder can plug some of the holes we have on our roster.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...126/SPORTS0101

CFL quarterback Printers draws interest, goes through a workout

CFL quarterback Printers draws interest, goes through a workout

Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

Advertisement

Printers file

Born:May 16, 1981
    Height, weight:6-foot-2, 216 pounds
    HomeeSoto, Texas, where he was a high school star and, earlier, quarterback on a national Pop Warner championship team.
    College:Texas Christian and Florida A&M. Had 23-9 record as starter at TCU and three straight bowl appearances. Injured after he transferred to Florida A&M and had only modest numbers his senior season.
    Pro experience:Signed with the CFL British Columbia Lions in 2003. Threw three passes his rookie season before breaking loose in 2004, throwing for 35 touchdowns and 5,088 yards (including a 495-yard game against Ottawa) en route to being named CFL Most Valuable Player. Injured in 2005 and had diminished numbers: 1,676 yards, nine touchdowns, six interceptions.

With the quarterback position in flux on an unsettled Lions team, Detroit is among at least five NFL clubs showing interest in Casey Printers, a three-year Canadian Football League quarterback who was the 2004 CFL Most Valuable Player after leading British Columbia to the Grey Cup title game.

Printers, 24, is mobile with a downfield arm. The Lions worked him out just before Christmas.

Miami, Buffalo, Kansas City and Oakland also have auditioned Printers. Miami could be the frontrunner to sign Printers, who is a Dallas native.

Printers, a 6-foot-2, 216-pounder, played at Texas Christian. He was a starter on the same team with Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson. Printers transferred to a more pass-oriented offense at Florida A&M as a senior, but injuries hampered his immediate NFL plans.

Matt Millen, the Lions president, and Martin Mayhew, Lions senior vice president and assistant general manager who has been in discussion with Printers' agent, did not respond to requests for comment. Bill Keenist, Lions senior director of communications, said Saturday he could only confirm the Lions had looked at Printers during a workout at Allen Park.

Printers' agent, Jason Medlock, said he told the Lions on Friday a decision on signing with a NFL club would probably be made within the next two weeks.

"I've spoken with the Miami Dolphins, Kansas City Chiefs, and with the Detroit Lions about financial ramifications," Medlock said. "All three clubs are talking about what can we do, and how can we do it.

"I spoke to Detroit today and told them that he could sign anywhere from the second of the month (January) to the middle of January. We're not going to parade him around the entire league."

Printers passed for 35 touchdowns and 5,088 yards while completing 65.8 percent of his passes in 2004.

He was hurt for much of the 2005 season but recovered in time to throw for 357 yards and four touchdowns in a game in which he also ran for 100 yards and a TD against Montreal.

Printers has an option year remaining with the B.C. Lions, but an agreement between the NFL and CFL allows Canadian players to negotiate with NFL teams in their option season.

The Lions' interest in Printers is understandable. Jeff Garcia, 35 and beset by injuries, likely won't return in 2006. Joey Harrington's future in Detroit is cloudy. He is under contract through 2007, but confidence in Harrington has steadily withered.

Dan Orlovsky, the Lions' third-string quarterback, wraps up his rookie season in today's game at Pittsburgh.

Printers is the latest CFL quarterback to flirt with what could become a prosperous jump to the NFL.

Garcia was a CFL quarterback before signing with San Francisco. Doug Flutie and Warren Moon also played in Canada.

Printers, whose 2005 salary was $65,000, was reportedly offered a three-year, $1.2 million contract by the B.C. Lions.

You can reach Lynn Henning at 313-222-2472 or at lynn.henning@detnews.com

Get a scrambling (not running) QB, an Elway/Young type, since this OL is still gonna let mad game through. Too bad Bradlee Van Pelt is unavailable

Pocket QB = death

And, of course, "Kittens die"©

Joey will only come back if he renegotiates. He is due 8.5 mil (supposedly, not 100% sure on this).

He is not worth that kind of dough. If he wants to come back for less great, if not then we need to replace him, as he is not worth it.

Art
    What is a budkow.....isnt that something I shit out of?

+ Reply to Thread