+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lions Re-Signings: Bryson, Drummond, Kalimba, Holt, Backus (Updated)

Bryson declines free agency, stays with Lions

Recruited hard in recent days by first-year head coach Rod Marinelli and offensive coordinator Mike Martz, veteran tailback Shawn Bryson opted Thursday to eschew the unrestricted free agent market and remain with the Detroit Lions, ESPN.com has learned.

One of the NFL's most effective third-down tailbacks, and likely to get more overall "touches" in the Martz-designed offense, Bryson reached agreement on a new three-year contract worth $4.5 million. The deal includes a $1.5 million signing bonus.

Bryson, 29, would likely have generated solid interest in free agency had he decided to test the market. But the new Lions staff convinced him he will play a key role in 2006 as Martz attempts to correct the problems of a unit that statistically ranked No. 20 in 2005.

The former University of Tennessee standout enjoyed one of his best NFL seasons in 2006, as he totaled 590 yards from scrimmage as the backup to starter Kevin Jones and the Lions' third-down back. Appearing in all 16 games for the third straight season, following a long stretch of injuries earlier in his career, Bryson carried 64 times for 306 yards and one touchdown and had 37 catches for 284 yards.

His role almost certainly will not change in 2006 but his playing time could actually be expanded.

A third-round choice of the Buffalo Bills in 1998, Bryson missed his entire rookie campaign with a knee injury. That began a star-crossed stretch in which Bryson, who has fullback size (6-feet-1, 230 pounds) but tailback running skills, appeared in just 37 games in a four-year stretch.

Since signing with Detroit as a free agent in 2003, though, Bryson has not missed a game and has been a productive and dependable No. 2 tailback. His best season came in '03, when he started 13 contests and rushed for 606 yards, while adding 54 catches for 340 yards.

For his career, Bryson has 526 carries for 2,143 yards and six touchdowns and 177 catches for 1,285 yards and two touchdowns. He has appeared in 85 games and started 26 of them.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2361448

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    3 years! oh boy. Actually, I like Bryson. I just hated Mooch for using him so much. Bryson is a great 3rd string RB. He does all the things you ask him to, he just doesn't have much talent anymore. As long as Martz doesn't use him as the feature back like Mooch wanted to, I'm fine with this.
    He is going to play quite a bit in Martz's system because Martz likes to use his RBs in pass-catching situations. And Bryson is our best pass protector and receiver out of the backfield.

A couple updates:

- Kyle Kosier signed with Dallas.

- Kalimba Edwards is in Cleveland for a visit.

- The Lions also resigned OT Victor Rogers.

- Bears are interested in signing Drummond now that Randle El is off the market.

- Andre Goodman is close to signing with the Dolphins to replace Sam Madison.

- The Lions have met with Kitna and McCown this weekend. They will meet with TE Dan Campbell on Monday.

- The Lions also contracted the agent of OL Kevin Barry (Packers).

On the one hand, I'm pretty frustrated with the waves other teams are making early on.

On the other hand, this might not be such a bad thing. I haven't seen a lot of bargain contracts. While there's more money to go around than there was a week ago, I expect there will be some decent players available at slightly discounted rates a few weeks from now. If the Lions are left sitting with a lot of cash, they might be able to take advantage.

Even if they end up with a horrible FA class this season, they could set themselves up to be the biggest spenders next year. If they can just get some replacements in place for some high priced guys that can be cut next season, they can be the huge splash at some point.

Almost better to focus on youth and the draft anyhow. (Oh wait, that's what they said a few years ago when they got rid of everyone over 30)

Ah hell, they'll just suck so more either way.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Syndicate Emeritus, Site Co-Founder Taymelo's Avatar
    If the Lions don't make a decent signing in 48 hours, I'm gonna have to swat this weak ass shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by WH Press Sec. Tony Snow
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taymelo
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

Eddie Drummond resigned.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Lions resing Kalimba Edwards to moocho bucks.....five years and $20 million, with $8 million in guarantees

I'm Varsity chump. You're J.V.
    some of my faith is restored...the Lions went and got Kalimba back..if they let the Brown take him (and it looked like a done deal) I would have been pissed. We need some serious rushers.

Drummond's injury issues concern me but the Lions were actually pretty smart with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ProFootballTalk
    The total package is worth $6 million. He gets a $2 million signing bonus and an annual per-game roster bonus package worth $337,504 per season. To get the bonus in a given week, Drummond must be on the active roster.

Lions Re-Sign DE DeVries and LB Woods

he Detroit Lions announced today that they have re-signed DE Jared DeVries to a five-year deal, LB LeVar Woods to a one-year deal.

DeVries (6-4, 280) enters his eighth season with the Lions and was originally drafted by Detroit in the third round (70th overall) of the 1999 NFL Draft. His 2005 season was highlighted by his first career multiple sack game at Cleveland (10/23) and his second-career blocked field goal attempt at Green Bay (12/11). DeVries continues to be a vital part of the team’s rotation on the defensive line.

In 2004, DeVries set a career-high with 3.0 sacks, including a sack for a 6-yard loss while forcing a Michael Vick fumble in the final minute to preserve a victory at Atlanta (10/10). He was also a key member of Detroit’s ‘wedge’ on kick returns, which helped clear the way for All-Pro kick returner Eddie Drummond, who finished the season ranked second in the NFL in kickoff returns.

DeVries opened the 2003 season with his second career sack when he pulled down Cardianls’ QB Jeff Blake, also forcing a fumble on the play, in opener vs. Arizona. He had his first career sack that season against Chicago (11/9/03) when he blocked what would have been a go-ahead field goal by Paul Edinger. Prior to the season, DeVries signed a three-year deal March 6, 2003.

The 2002 season was cut short for DeVries due to a foot injury. He registered 17 tackles (five solo) and a sack before being placed on the reserve/injured list on December 10. In 2001, DeVries was placed on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list on August 28 due to a blood clot suffered in an off-season workout. He was removed from the PUP list on October 27 and finished the season playing in 11 games and recording 20 tackles (six solo).

DeVries’ had one of his strongest seasons with the Lions in 2000 when he played in 15 games and finished with 35 tackles (18 solo), a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. He played in only two games as a rookie due to a foot injury.

As a standout at the University of Iowa, DeVries set the school's career sack record with 43 career sacks and had 79 tackles for a loss. DeVries was a first-team All-Big Ten selection as a sophomore, junior and senior (1996-98).

Woods (6-3, 245) will enter his second season with Detroit after joining the Lions half-way through last season. He started the final three games of the 2005 season at middle linebacker due to injuries. In his first start for Detroit against Cincinnati (12/18), Woods had a career-high 10 tackles (six solo) and a sack.

Before joining the Lions, Woods spent his first four NFL seasons as a reserve linebacker for Arizona. He caught on with the Cardinals as an undrafted free agent in 2001 and played in 15 games as a rookie, finishing his first season with 11 tackles (six solo). Woods set a career-high with 44 tackles in 2002 and led the team with 17 special teams tackles in 2003. In 2004 he had 20 tackles (12 solo) and 12 special teams tackles.

Woods was a two-year starter (1999-2000) for Iowa and had 165 career tackles, including 18 tackles for loss and 4.0 sacks. As a senior with the Hawkeyes, he was selected All-Big Ten Conference (second team) in addition to being a team captain and recipient of the Hayden Fry Extra Heartbeat Award.
    http://www.detroitlions.com/document...ment_id=444002

+ Reply to Thread