+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Carousel

Coaching Carousel

Viking fired Mike Tice right after their win over Chicago? Who the fuck fires a coach right after a game? Couldn't they have waited till their end of the season press conference?
    Vikings fire Tice after victory over Bears

The Minnesota Vikings became an embarrassment on Mike Tice's watch, with a ticket scalping scandal, the infamous lake cruise and a Whizzinator somewhere in between.

There weren't enough wins to cover up the ugliness, and now Tice is out of a job.

Owner Zygi Wilf fired Tice after Sunday's victory over Chicago capped a disappointing 9-7 season in which the Vikings, a trendy preseason pick to go to the Super Bowl, missed the playoffs.

The news wasn't a surprise, but the timing and manner in which it was delivered stunned the few players remaining in the stadium Sunday.

A team executive issued a two-paragraph press release to reporters in the Vikings' locker room after most players had gone home.

Pro Bowl kick returner Koren Robinson had to compose himself before commenting, managing a "Whoa, that's crazy," while he read the statement at his locker.

"In the locker room? Right after a game you just won?" Robinson said. "Give the man respect enough to wait until Monday to enjoy the win at least."

Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper crumpled up the release and threw it on the floor before declining comment and running back Mewelde Moore also tersely declined comment.

Tice, who finished his fourth full season with a 32-32 overall record, had already addressed the media before the move was made public. Reporters waited for him long after the game was over, and the coach wore a good-natured smile and showed no bitterness about the way the situation was handled.

"It's a shame I'm not going to be able to work with the Wilfs," Tice said with moist eyes. "I think they're going to be top notch owners. ... I'm very proud with a lot of the things we've accomplished with the things we've been given to work with."

Tice was one of three NFL coaches to go following Sunday's games; Dick Vermeil announced his retirement in Kansas City, and a person close to the organization told The Associated Press that the Houston Texans planned to fire Dom Capers.

Tice's tenure was mostly marked by streaks and scandals.

A $100,000 fine was levied last summer against him by the league for scalping his Super Bowl tickets and running back Onterrio Smith was caught at the airport with a device designed to beat drug tests dubbed the "Original Whizzinator." But perhaps the biggest blow came with revelations of a wild boat party during the team's bye week this season that produced misdemeanor charges against four players.

Tice's Vikings were inconsistent on the field, prone to long winning streaks and big collapses. Minnesota started 6-0 in 2003 and 5-1 in 2004 before going 3-7 over the final 10 games of both seasons. After starting 2-5 this year, the Vikings won six straight, then lost two in a row to fall out of contention for the playoffs.

"After significant evaluation, we feel that now is the time to make a coaching change," Wilf said in the statement.

Wilf had said previously that Tice's job status would be discussed at the team's headquarters on Monday, but shortly before 7 p.m. central time, the release was issued. The owner was gone by then and he scheduled a press conference for Monday afternoon.

"It's the owner's decision," said quarterback Brad Johnson, as he left the stadium with his family. "It's a tough business, and I appreciate Mike and the way he treated me and the way he treated the team. I wish him greatness."

Tice has lauded the Wilf family for the support they've shown since purchasing the franchise from Red McCombs last summer. He also spoke glowingly of his 13 years in Minnesota, which began as a tight end in 1992 and progressed from tight ends coach to offensive line coach to a somewhat surprising promotion to head coach after Dennis Green was fired in January 2002.

"I don't know who was more shaken by it, him or me," Tice said of an emotional meeting with Wilf that happened after he spoke to the media about Sunday's 34-10 victory over the Bears.

"Of course I'm hurt. I'm a man, not a machine," Tice said. "I put a lot of time into this organization, and had a lot of good times, and some bad times."

His lone regret was that he had to call his wife, who was being asked about the rumors in the Metrodome parking lot, to inform her of the news.

"I would've liked to savor the victory," Tice said.

He exited the Dome with a smile on his face and his head held high, not knowing what the future holds. He has a son who will be a senior in high school next year and he said he will make a decision with that in mind first.

Asked if he will coach again, Tice paused before saying, "Yeah, if the right job comes up."

His immediate plans were a little clearer.

"Go home and let my wife cry on my shoulder, I guess."
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5212800

Dick Vermeil retires

Dick Vermeil retires
    Vermeil vows that he's out of football for good

With trademark tears in his eyes, Dick Vermeil said this is really it - a third retirement means he's out of football.

Honest.

Unlike his other two retirements, there'll be no returning to the profession he loves so dearly, Vermeil tearfully told a news conference Sunday after his Kansas City Chiefs beat Cincinnati 37-3.

He had told the team and staff the night before that he would step down after five years with the Chiefs and 15 years in the NFL. His retirement did not come as a surprise.

Nevertheless, he teared up and had to pause several times after the game Sunday while thanking Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt and team president Carl Peterson for giving him an opportunity.

"I didn't get you to a Super Bowl, Lamar," he told the owner, who sat a few feet away and also appeared to be tight-lipped. "But you'll get there some day, and I'll go with you."

Vermeil said he had no plans for the future.

"I haven't even thought about it," he said. "I haven't even thought about calling a moving van."

When he looks back at a lifetime of coaching, Vermeil said he will remember the people.

He'll think about the fresh-faced high school kids where it all began in San Jose and San Mateo, Calif. He'll recall the youngsters at UCLA he took to the Rose Bowl and led to an upset of then-No. 1 Ohio State in 1976.

There'll be the memories of Philadelphia and a Super Bowl, of winning the Super Bowl with the St. Louis Rams, and the last five years in Kansas City.

"I think of watching people go through transitions in their career, to go from one level to the next level," he said. "All those things are very real."

A head coaching career that included three teams and 15 years in the NFL came to a victorious but frustrating end for the 69-year-old Vermeil on Sunday. As the Chiefs were beating the playoff-bound Bengals to go to 10-6, Pittsburgh was beating Detroit - and knocking them out of the playoffs.

The Chiefs will be the only NFL team Vermeil coached that did not make it to the Super Bowl.

"The greatest thing I take away from here is the value of the relationships and how deep they are," he said. "They're not influenced by the scoreboard. Nobody can take those things away."

He said he made his decision several weeks ago but did not want to make it public and cause a distraction. He informed his staff and players of his decision Saturday.

"The benefit of a coach is I get to enjoy my own self satisfaction being a coach and a leader and a teacher. And then I can enjoy the enjoyment the player gets," he said.

Vermeil took the 1980 Philadelphia Eagles to the Super Bowl, and then retired two years later. He won the Super Bowl with the St. Louis Rams after the 1999 season but then abruptly retired again.

He returned to the NFL in 2001 with the Chiefs.

He was 44-36 with Kansas City and led the Chiefs to the AFC West title in 2003, their only playoff appearance under him. He goes out with a 125-114 log in 15 seasons in the NFL with Philadelphia (1976-82), St. Louis (1997-99) and Kansas City.

Vermeil also made it clear he would like to see offensive coordinator Al Saunders move up to replace him.

Saunders, 57, has been the offensive coordinator during the most offensively productive period in team history, developing Pro Bowlers such as quarterback Trent Green, running backs Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson and tight end Tony Gonzalez.

"I would love to see Al Saunders replace me. I really would," he said. Team president Carl Peterson said Saunders, who would be a popular choice among the players, would get an interview.

One other possibility who's often been mentioned has been New York Jets coach Herman Edwards, an old friend of Peterson. But Peterson said he cannot talk with Edwards because he's under contract with the Jets.

Edwards reiterated Sunday that he would stay with the Jets.

"As far as I'm concerned, I'm back, so that's where that's at," he said.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5212314

Martz and Capers will be canned according to Chris Mortensen.

I made a thread exactly like this two-three hours ago. Just saying.

cant believe GB killed Sherman for one bad year full of injuries.

stupid.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Biochemical Equation
    cant believe GB killed Sherman for one bad year full of injuries.

stupid.
    I kind of think maybe they did it to nudge Favre out the door. There's no way they could bench the guy, but Favre had said he only wanted to come back if Sherman was still there.

Rams give Martz a pink slip

The worst kept secret in the NFL has come to fruition.

Sources have told FOXSports.com that Mike Martz was told on Monday morning that the Rams have fired him and the team has also asked permission to interview Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera for the head job. In addition to Rivera, the team is expected to make a strong run at Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

Despite rumors that Williams will return to the Redskins, the coach is not tied to that scenario and is seeking a head gig whether in Washington one day or another city this year.

Martz was fired to cap a tumultuous year in which he had to take an extended leave of absence, leaving Joe Vitt to take his place.

Martz was a successful Super Bowl coach for St. Louis and had led "The Greatest Show on Turf" for a long successful run. However, his personal problems with the front office led to a ruined relationship for the future.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5214570

Haslett fired after trying year with Saints

The Turk has taken another coach.

FOXSports.com has learned that the New Orleans Saints this morning fired head coach Jim Haslett. Haslett was informed of GM Mickey Loomis' decision this morning and then Loomis met with owner Tom Benson shortly after to finalize the details.

Haslett will now become a hot candidate in places like Buffalo, St. Louis and possibly in New York if Herm Edwards bolts for the Chiefs.

Loomis will begin interviewing candidates immediately.

About a month ago the Saints job looked like a bad one but now that the team is heading back to the Big Easy, the opening has been pumped up quite a bit as next year they could end up being the feel-good story in the NFL. The Saints also come with some good personnel and now they have the No. 2 pick in the draft, which could bring USC stud Matt Leinart.

The Saints are expected to announce the move later today.

Haslett is considered a solid coach but this year, in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, the conditions were too difficult to overcome. Haslett, however, did a solid job in keeping the team together in the face of such adversity.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5214670

Texans fire Capers, keep Casserly

Dom Capers was fired as coach of the Houston Texans on Monday, one day after the team finished with the league's worst record.

Owner Bob McNair made the announcement several hours after Capers told the players at a morning meeting that he had been let go.

The Texans, who hired former NFL coach Dan Reeves as a consultant last month, will keep general manager Charley Casserly.

"We want to see improvement every year. That didn't happen this year," McNair said. "I thought it was in the best interest of the team to let Dom Capers go."

Houston's season ended Sunday with a 20-17 overtime loss in San Francisco that left the Texans with a 2-14 record - the worst in the team's four-season history.

Capers had one year remaining on a five-year contract worth $9.5 million.

"Our responsibility was to win football games, and we made good strides the first three seasons, but we didn't get it done this year," Capers said. "I'm disappointed that things had to end this way."

The firing marks the second time the 55-year-old Capers has been released from an expansion team in its fourth season. He was let go by the Carolina Panthers in 1998.

His plan for building the team worked well until this season. The Texans won seven games last season after winning five in 2003 and four in their first season. Houston stunned Dallas in the franchise's first game in 2002.

"It was emotional; it was difficult," offensive lineman Steve McKinney said of the morning meeting. "I felt sorry for him."

Veteran defensive end Gary Walker said he is sad to see Capers go, but he isn't worried about the future of his former coach.

"Dom will have another job within a month," Walker said. "He'll be a defensive coordinator somewhere. With the right people around him, he could do some amazing things."

Houston opened this season 0-6 before beating Cleveland and then losing six more. The Texans defeated Arizona and then lost their last two games. They own the top pick in the April draft.

Capers was hailed as an expansion wizard after leading Carolina to seven wins in its first season and the NFC title game in the team's second year in 1996, when he was NFL Coach of the Year.

Things went downhill from there, and Capers was fired after the Panthers went 4-12 in 1998. He worked for two years as defensive coordinator for the Jacksonville Jaguars before he was hired by the Texans in January 2001.

"You have to be careful and stay with your step-by-step program," Capers said at the time. "Then, you have to have the courage to stick with it and not sacrifice the future for the quick fix."

His first pro job came when he joined Jim Mora's staff with Philadelphia in the USFL. Capers made it to the NFL in 1986 when he went with Mora to New Orleans. He became defensive coordinator at Pittsburgh in 1992 before he was hired in Carolina in 1995.

McNair said when he hired Reeves that he wanted an outside voice to evaluate the organization. Reeves went to four Super Bowls in 23 seasons as a head coach, mostly recently with Atlanta after the 1998 season.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5212898

How is Norv Turner still employed?

Quote Originally Posted by George Dubya Bush
    I made a thread exactly like this two-three hours ago. Just saying.
    trouble is you named it "word on the street" so nobody knew it.

This probably takes Al Saunders off the list since he'll replace Vermeil.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

+ Reply to Thread