+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Marinelli is the new Lions coach

Quote Originally Posted by Artermis
    I dont think Callahan's coaching had as much to do with the outcome as the replay booth did.

I can take shots at MSU all I want. They deserve it for talking like they are better than Michigan. I mean even in Michigan's down years in football, still better than what MSU can do.

Also, did the layoff affect some of you in your thinking and I am not talking in a good way.

Martz would be a mess in Detroit. He would not instill the disciple this teams and if you think our D is good enough, then you really need to stick with what your moniker was best know for and I am not talkign baseball..

Our D let teams regularly march down the field for the winning td or FG, whichever the other team needed. Outside of Rogers and Bly (BJ, before Jauron), they were are two best players. The LB corp sucks. Holmes is the only worthy player out of that bunch. The CB suck for the most part. DE sucks. Hall is not that good and neither is Redding or Edwards. Davis is about the worst starting OLB in the game. He cannot tackle.

This team needs a major attitude adjustment and Martz is not the person to give it to them. He is a pansy.

Art
    With a better O, the Lions would not be in the position to let the final drive be a potential winning drive for the other team.

If you want a disciplinarian, then get Jim Fassel. If you want to put people in the seats, score 40 on turf. The Ford family cares about money, not winning! Martz will spark the O, regardless of the outcome.

I said the D was "good enough", not great. Detriot is 21 overall in defense, and 17th in points allowed, but is that because the D sucks, or because it's regularly out on the field due to the O's inability to control the clock? Of course the D is dead at the end of the 4th -- it's been out there 2/3 of the game! Both are not mutually exclusive. The O and the D rely upon each other, and putting points on the board will ultimately help the defense.

Remember, DO NOT USE LOGIC when trying to figure out the Lions. Fords = make money. Millen = stupidity. Martz = next Lions head coach.

John Madden for coach.

But seriously I think we should go after Russ Grimm. He would a no-nonsense, blue collar work ethic to our team and I think we are in desperate need of that.

Edit: Actually Mike Singletary wouldn't be a bad idea either.

This is Millens last chance at picking a coach and keeping job.

I cannot see him taking a chance on a coach with a lot of baggage ala Martz or guys who have been more than positions coaches ala Singletary or Grimm.

I can see Millen letting one of the two come and be a coordinator, but not as head coach. I think he goes with a Tim Lewis type. I wouldnt even mind seeing Fassel, his teams didnt quit on him and he had some success with the Giants.

I dont know who is on his gaydar, but I think it will he a DC from one of the top D from the last few years, who is not a WCO type of guy and will pick an Ocoordinator who puts in a system that plays to his strengths, not stubborn and use a crappy conservative type O.

Art
    What is a budkow.....isnt that something I shit out of?

Maybe we can get Herm Edwards, or Al Saunders for KC.
    Destiny

Head Coach shopping list

I am going to compile a list of all the candidates that might be considered for the HC job. Not all of these guys will be looked at as HC but some of them would be great as assistant coaches and coordinators.

Mike Martz - Head Coach, St. Louis Rams
    Jeff Fisher - Head Coach, Tennessee Titans
    Bill Parcells - Head Coach, Dallas Cowboys
    Dick Vermeil - Head Coach, Kansas City Chiefs
    Brian Billick - Head Coach, Baltimore Ravens
    Jim Haslett - Head Coach, New Orleans Saints
    Herman Edwards - Head Coach, New York Jets

Gary Kubiak – OC, Denver Broncos
    Al Saunders - OC, Kansas City Chiefs
    Brad Childress - OC, Philadelphia Eagles
    Bob Bratkowski - OC, Cincinnati Bengals
    Tom Moore - OC, Indianapolis Colts
    Jim Fassel - OC, Baltimore Ravens
    Cam Cameron - OC, San Diego Chargers

Wade Phillips - DC, San Diego Chargers
    Jim Johnson - DC, Philadelphia Eagles
    Dick LeBeau - DC, Pittsburgh Steelers
    Gregg Williams - DC, Washington Redskins
    Donnie Henderson - DC, New York Jets
    Tim Lewis - DC, New York Giants
    Monte Kiffin - DC, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Ron Rivera - DC, Chicago Bears
    Eric Mangini - DC, New England Patriots
    Ron Meeks - DC, Indianapolis Colts

Russ Grimm - OLine Coach, Pittsburgh Steelers
    George Henshaw - Assistant HC, Tenessee Titans
    Mike Singletary - LB Coach, San Francisco 49ers
    Sean Payton - Passing Game Co., Dallas Cowboys

The guys in bold have my vote of approval. Keep an eye on Eric Mangini, Belichick will probably tell him to stay and wait for a better opportunity but he would be a great addition to the team.

Blog Entries
    It's good to start seeing Cam Cameron's name from someone else besides myself.

I doubt he leaves his OC job with the Chargers for the OC job with the Lions. He'd have to be the head coach to come here.

I actually hope that U of M is targeting him instead of the Lions.

Also, I can't believe that Bum Phillips' son is on any list of head coaching candidates, but thanks for the list, H1.

p.s. I think Russ Grimm is a boob. If you get a chance, try and find the audio of his "meet the press" press conference from a couple of years ago when he was interviewing for the Bears job that eventually went to Lovie Smith. It's classic. This town would eat Grimm alive, he'd be a bigger joke than Wayne Fontes ever was.

p.s.s. you can take Billick off your list, the Ravens have already announced that he'll be back in '06.
    Find a new slant.

Billick just got an extension, Parcells wouldn't come here before and won't know. Nice list though.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Thanks for the list. Now on to my thoughts.

Mike Martz - Head Coach, St. Louis Rams He is not the type of coach the Lions need. He has too big an ego and while a big ego is not always bad....one as big as his for never winning anything while HC is not warranted.
    Jeff Fisher - Head Coach, Tennessee Titans I love Fisher, but I think he needs a year off before he takes over another team. I personally think he is burnt out.
    Bill Parcells - Head Coach, Dallas Cowboys Love him and if he was 5 years younger and not under contract, I would throw 7-8 mil a year at him.
    Dick Vermeil - Head Coach, Kansas City Chiefs See Parcells
    Brian Billick - Head Coach, Baltimore Ravens He will be around for another year with the Ravens, so thankfully we can take him off the list.
    Jim Haslett - Head Coach, New Orleans Saints Killer likes him, but I think he needs a year off. he might be too much of a roughneck for this Lions team. Millen doesnt have 3 years to get rid of players who wont play for him.
    Herman Edwards - Head Coach, New York Jets I like him and I think Pennington's injuries really hurt him. Is he a WCO? I dont remember.

Gary Kubiak – OC, Denver Broncos Version of WCO. He doesnt call plays for Denver, but is young.
    Al Saunders - OC, Kansas City Chiefs I think he is the next Chiefs HC if Vermail goes
    Brad Childress - OC, Philadelphia Eagles NC
    Bob Bratkowski - OC, Cincinnati Bengals Love their O. Dont know about his style.
    Tom Moore - OC, Indianapolis Colts Too old and why would he come back.
    Jim Fassel - OC, Baltimore Ravens I wouldnt mind him.
    Cam Cameron - OC, San Diego Chargers Marty might not be back? There is a struggle in SD right now.
    Wade Phillips - DC, San Diego Chargers No thanks
    Jim Johnson - DC, Philadelphia Eagles Lovehis attacking style.
    Dick LeBeau - DC, Pittsburgh Steelers NC
    Gregg Williams - DC, Washington Redskins Good D coordinator
    Donnie Henderson - DC, New York Jets NC
    Tim Lewis - DC, New York Giants One of my top 5 choices.
    Monte Kiffin - DC, Tampa Bay Buccaneers I doubt he leaves
    Ron Rivera - DC, Chicago Bears Where else was he coordinator at...if this was his first year, i will pass.
    Eric Mangini - DC, New England Patriots I would rather have Brian
    Ron Meeks - DC, Indianapolis Colts I love Dungy and think this guy could be good.

Added Jim Bates DC for GB - Not really thrilled with him, but he will get some press.

Russ Grimm - OLine Coach, Pittsburgh Steelers No thanks. Love him, but I would prefer someone who as at least a coordinator.
    George Henshaw - Assistant HC, Tenessee Titans NC
    Mike Singletary - LB Coach, San Francisco 49ers See Grimm
    Sean Payton - Passing Game Co., Dallas Cowboys He will take over in Dallas once Parcells is done, so I dont see it.

Art

NO MARTZ

The last thing i need in my football life is the most expensive math teacher in NFL history. Any guy who says hes not sure what happened on defense because he cant watch it is not who i need running this team.

I've seen the dismantle of the Rams after Dick left. I've see dumb answers like above, and even a TIGHTEND REVERSE ON THE GOALLINE.

No thanks i can drink a Slupree fast if i want my head to hurt. If your looking for good coaching options look for stronger resumes.

Jim Fassel - OC, Baltimore Ravens
    Monte Kiffin - DC, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Cam Cameron - OC, San Diego Chargers or Marty(who ever isnt there)- Marty wont win to many playoff games but he'll get you there so you can hire some else to close the deal.

just my thoughts

Blog Entries
    welcome back, BSMN

another Cameron supporter, hmmm
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread