+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: XBox 360, by a novice.

XBox 360, by a novice.

I apologize in advance in that I'm most likely the only WTFer who DOESN'T play video games.

I was at Fry's Electronics yesterday (Los Angeles area electronics superstore, much like J and R is to NY) and I stopped to watch some kids playing Call of Duty 2 on an XBox 360. I've never seen one in person, so I didn't really know what to expect. They had it hooked up to a Samsung 27" LCD TV, with a surround system.

Holeee Fucking Shit!!!

Somebody would be wise to coin the term "CGI game" or "Photoreal game", anything but "video" game. When I think of "video game", the first thing that pops into my mind is NOTHING like I saw. It was next to a PS2 playing a street racing game, hooked up to a tube TV with no sound system, and I'm certain Sony would have sued if they had known. It simply wasn't fair.

The detail was fucking amazing. Wicker baskets in the intermediate foreground (not close-up foreground) missed no detail -- they looked like real wicker baskets, right down to the sheen of the light reflecting off the top edge of the strands. The game was super smooth, not jaggy like some other games with incredible detail, and the color depth was outstanding.

I'm probably not going to buy one, but if there was one system I'd jump the ship into the depths of Trekkie and/or Star Wars Fanboy-ville for, it'd be this one.

I may get one eventually, but will wait until the price drops some. I played King Kong at Best Buy-- just awesome graphics.

alsowhyothersports?

Quote Originally Posted by e-ray
    I may get one eventually, but will wait until the price drops some. I played King Kong at Best Buy-- just awesome graphics.

alsowhyothersports?
    Read....

http://www.latimes.com/sports/footba...adlines-sports

From the above L.A. Times article:

EA produced a new edition to coincide with the release last month of the Xbox 360. Every seat at every NFL stadium is represented. So is every bulb in every video board — a few of which are burned out.

Three-dimensional head scans were taken of more than 100 players, capturing facial details that include childhood scars and razor burns. In an editing mode, it's possible to zoom in close enough to read the fine print on the warning stickers adhered to the back of the players' helmets, or to spot the shiny silver food warmers in the luxury suites.

Are you fucking kidding me????

It is pretty insane...I just wish that they would get the gameplay down before they worry so much about the graphics. I am sick of seeing glitches (which there are numerous in Madden for 360) or seeing the same play work over and over in sports games. Fix that shit EA before you worry about the graphics...When you do maybe I will stop playing Warcraft and pick up a new xbox

Welcome to Detroit...Oregon. Home to Detroit Lake and nothing else.

Re: XBox 360, by a novice.

Quote Originally Posted by dennymclain
    I apologize in advance in that I'm most likely the only WTFer who DOESN'T play video games.

I was at Fry's Electronics yesterday (Los Angeles area electronics superstore, much like J and R is to NY) and I stopped to watch some kids playing Call of Duty 2 on an XBox 360. I've never seen one in person, so I didn't really know what to expect. They had it hooked up to a Samsung 27" LCD TV, with a surround system.

Holeee Fucking Shit!!!

Somebody would be wise to coin the term "CGI game" or "Photoreal game", anything but "video" game. When I think of "video game", the first thing that pops into my mind is NOTHING like I saw. It was next to a PS2 playing a street racing game, hooked up to a tube TV with no sound system, and I'm certain Sony would have sued if they had known. It simply wasn't fair.

The detail was fucking amazing. Wicker baskets in the intermediate foreground (not close-up foreground) missed no detail -- they looked like real wicker baskets, right down to the sheen of the light reflecting off the top edge of the strands. The game was super smooth, not jaggy like some other games with incredible detail, and the color depth was outstanding.

I'm probably not going to buy one, but if there was one system I'd jump the ship into the depths of Trekkie and/or Star Wars Fanboy-ville for, it'd be this one.
    Ha!! Beat you in one other thing besides signing up first!!

The detail on these games is fucking nuts. On NBA Live you can see fucking beads of sweat...in awesome detail. Just miraculous how cool these games have become.

here's the thing about the x-box 360, from what i understand it's pretty much no different from an x-box what so ever. unless you have a high definition television.

think about the amazing detail. to be able to read the warning on the back of a football helmet you are going to need hi def, the resolution on a typical television is not detailed enough to display 360's graphics as well.

When you go to these stores and they have the 360 on display, they display it hi-def.

In all seriousness i'm not that impressed with what i saw of a 360 console (or the new playstations for that matter). Look back at the jump between the nintendo and the super nintendo, or nintendo 64 to X-Box. This is the least technological advancement i've seen in a console.
    k

I don't think you will truly see the technological advancements in the 360 until mid to late 2006. It is very rare for game makers to fully utilize all the new features in a console when it's launched. And given the fact that MS rushed 360 onto the market, it gave game developers even less time to further work on their games.

I would wait until games like Gears of War, Jade Empire 2, Halo 3 and other projects from Rare, MS & Ubisoft to see what the 360 can really do.

In the mean time, you could play Halo 2 on Live.

Since I have an HDTV, I'm going to buy one within the next month or two, methinks.

When I was at Fry's, a woman approached the service station (they have one at every major area within the store) and asked about the 360. Of course they were out (shipment in that morning, gone by noon). He pointed to the demo, right across the aisle from the desk. She didn't see the big deal -- so the kids were watching a movie.

The guy said it wasn't a movie -- it was a video game.

Her jaw dropped.

True story.

+ Reply to Thread