+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 126
FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 119 ... LastLast

Thread: Professional Wrestling

Blog Entries
    Hart/Austin is definitely a classic. That feud was one of the all-time greats. Their first match was good, too.

Steamboat/Savage is also obviously up there, even though I don't like the finish.

I love Foley and think his stuff with HHH in 2000 was awesome.

Glan vs. his sexuality is also another great wrestling match.

Blog Entries
    Savage/Warrior from WM 7 is probably my personal favorite, but I grew up loving the hell out of that match. I dunno if it holds up well.

LMAO - I wonder if GD will ever read that..

The thing with "best match ever" discussions is that it's all subjective. I've read some articles make a compelling case for Hogan vs Andre at Mania 3 as the best match ever!

Now if you've seen it it's fucking shit IMO! Not a lot of action since Andre was huge (The Giant lol) and Hogan was the
    "face in peril" for most of the match...

But the lead up to the match... the whole booking/writing of the scenario made that match massive! And the history Hogan and Andre had as "best friends"... Heenan as the manager out to end Hogan's title reign turning Andre aginst his friend....

Now - i fucking hate the match. The lead up is great but the match is crap... but no one cared back then though so a case can be made it was the best thing ever.

For me the match has to be fairly realistic and the reason they're "fighting" has to be logical... I'd prefer a straight up match as opposed to a ladder match or cage match - but that's just me.
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, Hogan/Sting after Hogan went heel was the same shit. Great hype, terrible match (with a god awful finish).

Not like either of them are Bret Hart or Ric Flair, but they could've at least booked it better.
    Last edited by Timone; 01-31-2011 at 10:48 AM.

That's the issue today IMO - it's the booking of the characters that lets everything down.

You can teach anybody to wrestle... if they are willing to take the punishment....

But in order for fans to pony up their hard earned cash you need characters that people care passionately about...

No one watched Die Hard II cause they wanted to watch great explosions or great drama or great acting... they watched it cause of the character

and that's the secret to any big show, movie, book or whatever... it's about the characters

Blog Entries
    My people are telling me to keep an eye on Alberto Del Rio. Those who know, think that Vince has him on a rocket as the next big Latino star (since Mysterio is DONE.)

Del Rio has a lot of charisma and excellent heel skills.
    Find a new slant.

Yes GD - he won te Rumble and will get a world title shot at Edge or whomever come Mania. Dude has got skills and could be another young guy they run with...

but make no mistake: He is not going to be a "real" main player.

They have Orton and Cena in those spots and everything will focus on them at every big show... unless Triple H comes back and takes the spotlight.

Apparently WWE has signed some masked Mexican called Mistico or something like that - a guy like Rey... might be Rey's farewell battle...

Or that's how I'd do it - have the new masked guy challenge the old masked guy "mask vs mask"... if Rey won't go for that make it a "retirement" match... Rey can lose and put the new guy over and say his goodbyes

I'm sure Pharoah new The Rock was coming back, but I was just watching and I'm blown away. The dude has still got it!!! There were a few pauses and a couple of stutters/repeats mixed in there, but he seriously was on point and the whole Rock/Cena clash could be the defintion of EPIC.

Blog Entries
    if I had known it was going to happen I would've watched

WWE did a great job not letting the news out... they can do it if they want work hard enough.

As for Cena vs Rock... I doubt it happens. Rock has gone on record just recently on his facebook page claiming he's happy his last match was with Mick Foley vs Flair, Batista and Orton at some Mania... he went on to say he just wanted to thank the fans for helping him fulfill his dreams in wrestling but now he has new dreams he wants to chase...

so for him to turn around now and wrestle... well - not saying it won't happen but I'd be surprised if they just threw it on the show with little build up. Rock vs Cena is essentially "Attitude Era" vs "PG Era" and if they want to make the match happen then it should be built up over a few months

It's the same thing with Cena vs Taker, or Sting vs Taker or some other "dream" match - to produce a massive buy rate for WrestleMania the major attraction has to be some epic battle... something non-fans care about or casual fans are willing to pay big money to see.

You have to remember that Raw gets approx 3 million viewers.... yet every pay per view struggles to hit 300,000 buys! It's not because everyone is having a PPV party - it's cause people don't wanna pay their hard earned to watch the same old shit.

But Mania? They can get 1 million buys - if it's built properly... and having The Rock tease a confrontation wioth Cena, or Miz or Taker or everyone is a good start... though it's unfortunate that Alberto's Royal Rumble win already is an after thought.

By the time Mania rolls around Alberto's "big" guaranteed title shot won't be worth shit on the big stage of WrestleMania!

Imagine The Rock as host, Taker vs whomever, HHH's return, an appearance from Shawn Michaels due to the HOF, possible Sting appearance, Cena, Orton AND Money in the Bank ladder match...

Who will care about Alberto?

+ Reply to Thread