+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 126
FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 76 116 ... LastLast

Thread: Professional Wrestling

TNA officially moving to Mondays March 8th. Every other week will be live.

Last ECW tonight with a new WWE NXT starting next week. It will follow 8 developmental wrestlers who are paired with veterans to show them the ropes. More reality based and behind the scenes look. Sounds interesting.

Famous Bill Walton quotes:

"Shaq's arrogance is an insult to people who think."

Bill: "What, Phoenix? Are they still paying you?"
    Jalen: "Yeah, under the table."
    Bill: "Yeah, just like at Michigan."

“Oh my, Kobe is really putting on a show out there. He’s making Ray Allen look like a sixth grader!”

That does sound intriguing. I think i would definitely watch that and see how they pan out.

The main event match of that March 8th Live episode of Impact will be .......................

spoiler alert

Hogan and Abyss v Flair and Styles!!!

Ending should see Abyss pin Flair or Styles pin Hogan. Nothing else! That would be a huge statement IMO

Anyway:

They've done a good job building The Pope, Wolfe is still in the mix and Ken Anderson is right there too. That's fine with me. I could do without some things on Impact but I'll let it slide for a while.

And LMAO at the NXT show: It was announced that "Pro" The Miz will "mentor" Daniel Bryan (aka Bryan Danielson aka American Dragon aka Best Wrestler in the World)

Imagine the message boards!!! Smart marks ("smarks") all going crazy claiming Miz has no fucking right to mentor Danielson.

Newsflash: Danielson's look is horrible. He is THE vanilla midget Nash, Hall, Shawn Michaels, Sean Waltman and HHH used to talk about.

His in-ring ability is amazing, outstanding etc but in order for people to wanna pony up their hard earned to see you in person, buy your shirts, purchase a PPV with you headlining people need to connect with your character.

And you can't get your character "over" if you suck on the mic (AJ Styles I'm looking at you). The ability to create/sell your character to the fans is the single most important part of the business.

They can teach you to wrestle, or kind of wrestle. Especially if you're a heel. But no one can give you the charisma that The Rock has/had or the believe-able character of Stone Cold Steve Austin (or Goldberg).
    Last edited by Pharaoh; 02-17-2010 at 08:01 AM.
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

too stupid; didn't read
    kidding i just don't care

Blog Entries
    "Styles"? as in "Furious Styles"?
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Glan
    "Styles"? as in "Furious Styles"?
    GD - I have no doubt whatsoever that Mola could cut a better promo than A.J Styles.

I also have no doubt that if Mola wanted to become a wrestler (and portray a heel like Randy Orton) Mola would be more over with a crowd than A.J Styles.

People need to understand that pro wrestling is a business like any other. Certain things work because it's the fucking way it's gotta be.

Case in point? Dudes that use the the high flying or "technical" style, are of a "smaller" size than the main event level wrestlers (aka AJ Styles, Chris Daniels, Bryan Danielson, CM Punk, Jeff Hardy) get over with the crowd based on their in-ring performance...

in the beginning! It's been that way forever and will always be that way. However, it is possible to rise above the "being over" level and get to Main Event status like Jeff Hardy and CM Punk.

Punk is brilliant on the mic and can cut a killer promo, even in today's dumbass PG WWE. He is a rare talent.

Hardy? He's not rare IMO. The guy spent years nearly killing himself in the ring with his moves and fans loved him for it. They bought his merchandise so often that he was at one time 2nd only to John Cena! The love he gets is the Mick Foley love - the "we love you cause you nearly died for us" love.

But Hardy can't cut a good promo. He sounds forced and is just a fucking joke on the mic. Styles has better mic skills!

Yet Hardy is over like a motherfucker, his fans buy anything with his likeness and has even main evented a WWE PPV despite being on his last chance with the company due to drugs and being such a small dude.

A.J Styles? His pretending to be Ric Flair. Blame TNA "creative" or whatever but if Styles had balls, had any kind of creative instinct or had any idea of his wrestling character then this shit wouldn't have happened.

He should have straight up said to Dixie Carter, Hulk Hogan and Eric Buischoff: "Fuck No - I ain't no heel. I'm the good boy. I'm Luke Skywalker. And Abyss is my Darth Vader".

Abyss as a crazy killing machine is better than this retarded Abyss. Model Abyss on Big Van Vader's run from WCW and it's a winner.

Did anyone watch WWE NXT?

I thought it was pretty interesting. It's still wrestling but they pair rookies with pro's. Miz has Daniel Bryan (Brian Danielson) and I thought they stole the show. Jericho and DB had a match and Jericho worked him pretty stiff I thought. DB tried a dive through the ropes to Jericho outside but Jericho caught him and slammed him into the announce table. Pretty sick welt on his ribs. I thought he might have broken a few but WWE didn't say anything other than bruising.

Famous Bill Walton quotes:

"Shaq's arrogance is an insult to people who think."

Bill: "What, Phoenix? Are they still paying you?"
    Jalen: "Yeah, under the table."
    Bill: "Yeah, just like at Michigan."

“Oh my, Kobe is really putting on a show out there. He’s making Ray Allen look like a sixth grader!”

I find it amusing how McMahon believes nobody is watching any wrestling but the WWE brands. Is he that dense to think NOBODY knows who Bryan Danielson is? Or, does he simply not give a flying shit?

Quote Originally Posted by D's Nuts View Post
    Did anyone watch WWE NXT?
    I didn't, but apparently it got better ratings than ECW ever did.Not surprising since Vince took a beloved hardcore promotion and turned it into shit pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by D's Nuts
    I thought it was pretty interesting. It's still wrestling but they pair rookies with pro's. Miz has Daniel Bryan (Brian Danielson) and I thought they stole the show.
    Which was the whole point.

This show is designed to get the next group of "young" stars over with the audience before they move on to Smackdown or Raw. WWE believes the new guys have suffered due to the fact the audience doesn't relate to them in any way.

And the name of the game is to be loved, or hated. Indifference is the kiss of death.

WWE could have helped the young dudes with vignettes like they used to do or with more mic time but this is far more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by D's Nuts
    Jericho and DB had a match and Jericho worked him pretty stiff I thought. DB tried a dive through the ropes to Jericho outside but Jericho caught him and slammed him into the announce table. Pretty sick welt on his ribs. I thought he might have broken a few but WWE didn't say anything other than bruising.
    Stiff implies Jericho took liberties. I doubt that happened. I believe you mean "tight". Tight means they worked like Benoit - up close and personal.

Danielson is a world class worker - quite possibly the best in the world (which is a huge, huge statement considering Shawn Michaels and Kurt Angle still wrestle). He's like Benoit. Jericho would have loved facing him.

Anyway, apparently the show has a couple of other dudes that could be big stars - one looks a little like Cena. I haven't seen it though.

BTW, it's not known how a wrestler wins the show yet. And regardless of who wins the "contract" for Raw or Smackdown (wouldn't they have 2 winners? 1 for each Brand?) you can guarantee that at least 3 of these guys makes it to the main roster after this.

Which is awesome. It's about time WWE did something new and fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyMcLain View Post
    I find it amusing how McMahon believes nobody is watching any wrestling but the WWE brands. Is he that dense to think NOBODY knows who Bryan Danielson is? Or, does he simply not give a flying shit?
    Of course Vince and his cronies know people will know or find out who Daniel Bryan is/was.

The idea isn't to erase Danielson's past - they're acknowledging the Indy scene in general for the first time ever and have rarely, rarely acknowledged any other company at all.

But for him they're making this huge exception, because he is/was THE biggest indy star in the business. So they'll fill you in on his abilities and reputation in time.

(I'm waiting for them to acknowledge or mention that he was trained by Shawn Michaels. Not sure how much HBK trained him but Danielson did "graduate" from Shawn's school)

The name change is simply to copyright his career. WWE will own every single thing he does as Daniel Bryan - good and bad. If he pulls a Brock Lesnar or a Jeff Hardy on them they can claim that it just goes to show a great indy wrestler doesn't = shit in the WWE.

If Shawn Michaels, Triple H and The Undertaker like him he'll likely be pushed to the moon.

And every internet smark is dying to see CM Punk v Daniel Bryan!

+ Reply to Thread