+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19
FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Draft

Welcome to Detroit...Oregon. Home to Detroit Lake and nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by H1Man
    I just realized that we don't have a 4th rounder and 7th rounder this draft. Which means that we will have to make sure that we get impact players with our other selections.
    [smilie=angry.gif]

The Lions have too many holes for only 5 picks. Millen had better pull a rabbit out of his ass.
    [img]i17.tinypic.com/5z1kqq8.gif[/img]

Can someone fill me in on Antonio Cromartie?

From what I read he is supposed to be an elite corner with size, speed and skills. But he sat out the entire 2005 season due to injuries.

Where does he rank right now in terms of CB prospects? Any idea where might be picked?
    A lot of people have him ranked as the 2nd best corner in the draft, after Jimmy Williams. If he hadn't torn his ACL, I'd think he'd be a lock for a top 10 pick, mabye even top 5.

Syndicate Emeritus, Site Co-Founder Taymelo's Avatar
    I'm not saying he isn't the 2nd best corner in the draft, but this is yet another indication that its better to never play and get drafted on what people didn't see, than to play for four years and show your weaknesses at the same time you show your strengths.
    Quote Originally Posted by WH Press Sec. Tony Snow
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taymelo
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

Quote Originally Posted by Taymelo
    I'm not saying he isn't the 2nd best corner in the draft, but this is yet another indication that its better to never play and get drafted on what people didn't see, than to play for four years and show your weaknesses at the same time you show your strengths.
    Waiting for Darko to get brought into this thread...

Yes I realize I just did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I do so love a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    People love train wrecks.

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg32086
    Can someone fill me in on Antonio Cromartie?

From what I read he is supposed to be an elite corner with size, speed and skills. But he sat out the entire 2005 season due to injuries.

Where does he rank right now in terms of CB prospects? Any idea where might be picked?
    A lot of people have him ranked as the 2nd best corner in the draft, after Jimmy Williams. If he hadn't torn his ACL, I'd think he'd be a lock for a top 10 pick, mabye even top 5.
    Where do you think he goes in the draft? Will his injury concerns scare teams away from him and make him fall or will his potential cause him to rise?

I think he goes to the Giants in the first round.

49ers win coin toss for sixth spot in draft

It might not have carried the impact of the 10 regular-season games in which the Bay Area rivals have met, but San Francisco's "victory" over the Oakland Raiders on Friday, in a coin toss to determine the sixth and seventh overall choices in the draft, still felt pretty important to 49ers officials.

"It gives us a better spot to find more quality football players," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said.

By virtue of identical 4-12 records and the same opponents' winning percentage (.539), the Raiders and 49ers tied for sixth and seventh in draft order. The tie was broken Friday with the coin flip, as San Francisco vice president of player personnel Scot McCloughan won with a call of "tails."

The flip officially sets the order of selection in the first round, as the 49ers will choose in the sixth slot and the Raiders in the seventh position. The other 30 slots in the first round had already been determined.

Beyond setting the first-round order, winning the coin toss also provides San Francisco an advantage in some early-round subsequent rounds as well. In a rotation with the four other franchises that posted 4-12 records in 2005, the 49ers will own the fifth pick in the second round, the fourth choice in the third round, and the third pick in the fourth round. San Francisco will select seventh in Round 5, sixth in the sixth round and fifth in the final round, barring trades.

While the 49ers benefit by just one spot in the first round, that margin could be significant, given the way the picks might come off the board.

"It puts us one slot ahead of where we might have been and we can take a player we have our eye on," McCloughan said.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2343448

I heard today on The HUGE show that the Lions Defensive Coordinator is looking heavily at Michael Huff at pick #9. Apparently Donnie really wants a playmaking safety back there and they feel that Huff is exactly that guy. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. Obviously if he will help our defense I think its a good plan, but I just feel that we have other glaring needs besides safety.

I haven't been a big fan of the Huff talk, but I'm coming around. Biggest reason?
    Look at the recent history of drafting Safeties in the first round. Practically can't miss.
    2005 -
    Thomas Davis. Decent player but moved to LB to cover for injury.
    2004 -
    Sean Taylor. Very good player, but a headcase and a moron.
    2003 -
    Troy Polamalu. Absolute stud that had a HUGE part in getting the Steelers a ring this season.
    2002 -
    Roy Williams and Ed Reed. Pro-Bowlers and playmakers.
    2001 -
    Adam Archuleta and Derrick Gibson. Archuleta is solid. Gibson had quite a bit of potential and did some god things, but injuries have killed him.

Bottom line, you're more than likely to get a stud impact player on defense when you draft a safety in the first round. If Huff is getting the hype to be the next one, I'm buying it.

I agree that there are bigger needs, but it's not like we're drafting another WR. Safety is at least, arguably, one of our top 5 needs. My deal was I needed to see the defense get an instant playmaker or the offensive line get a solid starter. This would meet that requirement.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Huff ran a 4.36 too. While I think we need OT, LB and DE maybe more, the impact players at those positions will be gone (Brick, Hawk and Williams). I'd rather have the top DB than reach for a tackle or something. Then you can always get Johnathon Scott OT, Daryll Tapp DE, or Abdul Hodge (LB) in the second round.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

+ Reply to Thread