+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Aks DrRay

Quote Originally Posted by DE View Post
    What do you think of Quinn's depth moves?
    I like it, but need to see the full offseason (plus draft) to judge. Glad he just picked up Geoff Schwartz for o-line depth - need to get past the days where one injury kills the team, and he's steering the team in that direction. Couple that with better drafting and I think we'll be in for a power shift in the NFCN as the Bears, Lions, and Vikings all could potentially sit atop the stubborn Packers if Rodgers ever regresses (please!)

Look at Miami's high priced FA signings - they typically don't work out or only for a short period of time. I am good with Quinn's moves so far as they recognize the importance of special teams and depth - no more Corey Fuller holding downfield on ST! The WR corps is fine and is already arguably deeper than last year. It might take a couple of years to build via BPA through the draft but I think the approach is good.

How do you feel about it?

I'm not very good at figuring out the quality of talent and where the needs and holes are., but I've been thinking at least about his direction strategically.

I think just saying he's using the Patriot blueprint is easy but often, like Scott Pioli, you see that the Patriot protogees actually don't. But it seems to me that he's infusing the Lions with three of the big Patriot traits: 1. Depth, depth depth. Even though the dude has Belichick butt around the lips, Peter King once made a great point about the Pats depth by saying that their 42nd guy is better than your 28th and that's vital. That one always stuck with me (probably have mentioned here a few times at least). 2. Financial flexibility. He doesn't seem to be willing to over invest in a player. I want to say over invest because sometimes you do have to pay up a bit more, it's just the situation. 3. No overly emotional ties to players. In channelling my inner Drew Sharp (and if this post absolutely sucks that's why) I really think some Lions fans will get a "be careful what you wish for" scenario when Quinn pulls a Bill Walsh and gets rid of a beloved veteran one year too early rather than keep him around years to late (something the Lions had mastered).

I like the framework and direction but it really does come down to if he can spot that kind of talent doesn't it? Especially in mid to late rounds, right? If he and Caldwell mesh on talent they could have actual depth. And, honestly, I like that he kept Caldwell. It's cliche but I do think Caldwell has proven to be a good Monday to Saturday coach. The Lions have to develop talent and create depth to even be a contender. They're not really at a point where game day coaching blunders can cost them anything yet IMO.

+ Reply to Thread