+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Smyly

Smyly

So I was reading an article on ESPN.com about teams watching innings with young pitchers (Gerritt Cole, Shelby Miller, Julio Teheran) and it got me thinking that Smyly's role this year has been great for the fact that fans won't have to worry about shutting down his arm in October. Last year, between AAA, Detroit, and postseason he pitched a very manageable 121 innings. This year he's projected to pitch about 90, plus whatever he pitches in the postseason.
    I think this is all very good for a younger pitcher, but now I'm trying to figure out when the team will make the transition with him.
    Sanchez and Verlander are Tigers for a long time. Fister isn't eligible for free agency for a few years, but is for arbitration. Old Blue Eye is the next free agent and will be a tough call because while he's establishing himself as the ace of the staff, that will also likely make him the most expensive pitcher in team history, if Ilitch decides to re-sign him. Porcello seems like the most likely to lose his place in the rotation, but has been stellar his past 5 starts and is likely to do much better with Iglesias and Perez/Santiago behind him up the middle.
    Smyly could have a career that puts him among the best set-up guys in the game for a decade, and while that's valuable it seems somewhat like a waste considering what he could do over 210 innings instead.

So what do you think the likely future holds for the Tigers rotation and specific bullpen roles?
    We had subs. It was crazy.

I think Sherzer is going to be really tough to resign. I think he'd like to come back, but will be offered a ton of money by other clubs. Problem solved in the starting rotation. Insert Smyly. As far as the pen goes...who knows? I think Rondon is going to be fine. We've added Veras. I think DD can get some more long relievers, etc in the offseason.
    Players meeting my ASS!

I'd really like to have Scherzer back. When is he due for free agency?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRay11 View Post
    I'd really like to have Scherzer back. When is he due for free agency?
    Hopefully before Ilitch dies.

#justsayin
    Find a new slant.

Sherzer is a fa at the end of the season.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe View Post
    Sherzer is a fa at the end of the season.
    This might be close, then.
    Find a new slant.

Barely buying green bananas?

This would be a really tough negotiation for the Tigers unless JV says he's ok with Sherzy making as much or more dough than he was paid. And thats only IF the Tigers want to pony up for another ace of a staff. Its like we are paying JV for what he has done in the past (a little bit anyway) and paying Sherzer for the future.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Scherzer doesnt have the track record JV did...

^ absolutely. Not saying it isn't correct for the Tigers to pay back a lil bit with JV, just saying that it'll be a tough negotiation with Sherzer with that added in.
    Players meeting my ASS!

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    We still control Scherzer for 2014, he's a FA for 2015....Presumably we'll try to work out an extension before next year. Will be difficult though and expensive. That's one nice thing about the Ilitch-mode we're working under though. It's a little counter-intuitive but if your ONLY goal is to win a World Series title, every dollar spent that does not achieve that goal can be seen as wasted. Thus with our payroll at $100-odd Million NOT getting us a title, that's a lot of wasted money....and every extra dollar spent can either be additional waste if we don't get a title...or a potential HUGE marginal savings if we do get one. Spending another $15M next year can potentially save us from wasting $110M.....

I'm pretty sure they keep spending until we either get there or Ilitch dies... and maybe even a year or so after he dies just to honor him. After that though, I'm pretty sure we're done, possibly forever. Makes this window pretty damn important.

That's why I could care less about some of these ridiculous contracts though, pretty sure once Ilitch dies we're never doing this again. So who cares if Prince is making $30 M in 2021?? We wouldn't be spending that money anyways so FUCK IT.

As for Smyly, fucking love the guy. They have to eventually give him another shot in the rotation, if we re-sign Scherzer it will be at Porcello's expense then. As long as they're not too gun-shy from the Coke fiasco....

I could ALSO see a proactive trade of Scherzer this off-season ala Granderson/Edwin Jackson a few years back. Just thinking out loud on that though....

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

+ Reply to Thread