Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mxy View Post
FWIW, Millsap's started for the past 3 seasons, and that's with a glut of other bigs that Utah tends to have. I suspect if you swapped Millsap for Monroe's situation that the rebounding would be comparable.

If we had been thinking of trading Monroe, I'd rather have paid Millsap $10 million/year for 2 years rather than $14 million for 3 years like Al Jefferson. That's what prompted my post.

I agree, Monroe is a better passer and a somewhat better player. It's just not by a lot. Monroe's value above and beyond Millsap's is largely as-yet-unactualized potential, the fact that he's a more natural PF. But he's not performed at a level significantly above Millsap thus far and he might never do so. He may have plateaued. If he has, he's not worth THE max, and I'm afraid that's what he'll command after the Josh Smith overpayment.
I agree with everything you say and yes, monroe may have plateaued as a player as he doesn't have the physical skills to get any better. It's all about him developing actual basketball skills at this point since he isn't going to out-athlete anyone. I am also very wary of tossing anything close to a max contract his way. Still, he is only 23 and has the right to improve especially as the pistons begin to add more talent to roster (he will no longer be to focal point of opposing defenses).

If he ever wants to become an all-star and if he really wants to secure a future with the pistons and on a winning team he needs to learn how to hit a 15-foot jumper. If the pistons don't see glimpses of this next season then it is time to part ways. It's really as simple as this.