+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pistons sign Josh Smith to 4-year, $56m deal.

yeah, we're going to be KCP to 'step up' and 'shoot the ball effectively'

Both of those things.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Detroit didn’t exactly need Smith, but his addition — and rumored positioning at small forward — isn’t an incontrovertible disaster.
    A Pistons PR guy couldn't have said it better. Is this guy on the payroll or something?

it's a true statement though and IMO it's the reality of the signing. smith is a top 10 talent in the league and probably a top 15 player. he is not the one- dimensional player like CV or BG were. he's worth every penny and will be a tremendous asset for this team on both ends of the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Higherwarrior View Post
    it's a true statement though and IMO it's the reality of the signing. smith is a top 10 talent in the league and probably a top 15 player. he is not the one- dimensional player like CV or BG were. he's worth every penny and will be a tremendous asset for this team on both ends of the floor.
    I'm not as knowledgeable about pro basketball as I used to be....but what about the Hawks fans who are screaming good riddance? Is the above just wishful thinking? Hoping for an attitude adjustment? Reading the top two comments after that article, they make Smith sound like another Charlie V. Worries me.

i think that's a common fan reaction when they lose a player who didnt' want to play there anymore. there are hurt feelings. and there's no doubt- smith clashed with some of their coaches from time to time.

however he's still only 27 and seems plugged in and motivated to prove people wrong. similar to sheed, smith has a bit of an attitude and an edge to him. in the right environment he can flourish. i think having sheed as a coach on his team, cheeks as the HC, and a calm leader like billups coming back can only serve to create a good environment for smith.

all that being said, i think he respects joe, gores, and the organization enough to step up and be the leader we need him to be. plus it's not like he's a 'bad apple' at all. he was just stuck in ATL for crying out loud. it's where people's nba careers go to die.

as for the comparison to charlie v.....there really is no comparison whatsoever. CV is merely a spot up 3 point shooter and does very little else. we paid him a ton of money to stretch the floor basically. smith doesn't shoot from deep as well as charlie v but he does everything else. literally. he's the 1st player in nba history to post the stat line he has- According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Smith is the only player to ever average at least 15 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks and one steal per game.

that shows his versatility. he can play on the low block, shoot from midrange, or explode past people going to the rim. CV can't do any of that. not to mention he's one of the best defenders in the entire league which CV definitely can't do. he can guard 4s but he has harassed some of the most athletic 3s around also.

smith is one of the most talented players in the league and still is an ascending star. he's not perfect but he's the most versatile athletic talent that's ever donned a piston uni. he plays really well on both ends of the floor and is about as versatile and well rounded as you can hope for. if he can get more consistent with his long range shooting, look out.

Blog Entries
    Wow, that got me fired up. Nice work.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Guy Glan View Post
    Wow, that got me fired up. Nice work.
    Let's not forget my stupidity drew it out.

Quote Originally Posted by TK View Post
    I'm not as knowledgeable about pro basketball as I used to be....but what about the Hawks fans who are screaming good riddance? Is the above just wishful thinking? Hoping for an attitude adjustment? Reading the top two comments after that article, they make Smith sound like another Charlie V. Worries me.
    Hawks fans? Like , all 6 of them? The team that has only been above 20th in attendance 1 time in the last decade? Usually around the 25 mark... Yeah, those fans.
    Those fans don't know shit. They didn't even support the team when it was competitive.

Josh Smith really put the nail on it in the press conference when he said he wasn't used to a room full of so many reporters.
    Hype?

Quote Originally Posted by Higherwarrior View Post
    http://nba.si.com/2013/07/11/josh-sm...2_a7&eref=sihp

finally a columnist with some sense.
    That was a nice 'cle.

+ Reply to Thread