+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuck you Joe , Frank, and Sally. Start Drummond!

Had no one in mind really, was just throwing it out there
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
    Had no one in mind really, was just throwing it out there
    That's the issue. From my view it seems like almost all of the talent in the league is at the 1, so a stud wing player is pretty much untouchable due to it's rarity. Either way, the franchise likely views Monroe as being untouchable as well. I think it sucks that his defense is lacking, but what can ya do?
    k

Due to the lack of talent available on the wing is it worth trading for a 2nd or 3rd tier option that is highly likely to be overpaid?

Or do we just accept the fact there is a clear lack of quality wingmen and instead focus on what we do have (or coud have): TWO quality big men that actually compliment each other!

There is no talent deficiency at the wing. 7 of the top 10 scorers in the NBA are wings. You can get a decent wing player in just about any draft. A lot of teams have two players on the wing that either could be or are already very good. Golden State is a prime example.

The Pistons are with the Cavs, Jazz, Hawks, Suns and Wizards at rock bottom. Every other team has at least one current or future very good wing player.

You can't find nearly as many NBA teams with all star caliber big men. Only three teams in the NBA (OKC, Atlanta, LAL) have as many as two. The Pistons are in a select group of four (Pistons, Jazz, TWolves, Kings) with a legit chance to move into that group via natural progression.

That's seven. Three teams with two studs up front, and four teams that even have a chance at having two studs up front. Everyone else is out in the cold.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-07-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Which is kinda the point I believe we're making across the board:

Having 2 quality big men is rare... a quality wing isn't rare... a quality PG isn't rare

In order to get the maximum out of the rare gift we've been give by the NBA Draft Gods we need to get our bigs the best supporting cast possible...

Trading Monroe for a "stud wing" isn't something I'd be interested in doing - simply because if you don't acquire Lebron, Durant or Melo you're getting a 2nd tier player at best! And I don't believe a 2nd tier swingman is more valueable than a quality big man

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    There is no talent deficiency at the wing. 7 of the top 10 scorers in the NBA are wings. You can get a decent wing player in just about any draft. A lot of teams have two players on the wing that either could be or are already very good. Golden State is a prime example.

The Pistons are with the Cavs, Jazz, Hawks, Suns and Wizards at rock bottom. Every other team has at least one current or future very good wing player.

You can't find nearly as many NBA teams with all star caliber big men. Only three teams in the NBA (OKC, Atlanta, LAL) have as many as two. The Pistons are in a select group of four (Pistons, Jazz, TWolves, Kings) with a legit chance to move into that group via natural progression.

That's seven. Three teams with two studs up front, and four teams that even have a chance at having two studs up front. Everyone else is out in the cold.
    When you talk 'Wings' does that include SGs? Srs question. I'm an old man and I'm still talking 1, 2, 3, 4, 5s if you know what I mean. I think thats outdated, no? So you talkin 2, 3, 4s? Or just 2 and 3s? depends on the offensive system?
    Players meeting my ASS!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe View Post
    When you talk 'Wings' does that include SGs? Srs question. I'm an old man and I'm still talking 1, 2, 3, 4, 5s if you know what I mean. I think thats outdated, no? So you talkin 2, 3, 4s? Or just 2 and 3s? depends on the offensive system?
    I'm talking 2s and 3s. Non-PG perimeter guys. LeBron and Carmelo and Durant occasionally play the 4 technically, but they will always be wings to me.

Agree that I view Lebron, Melo and Durant as wings... and that's kinda my point. We can't get a wing that is better than those 3.

Also can't get a wing better than Wade and Kobe. Probably can't get a wing better than Harden either

So why are we so focused on getting a stud wing? Whomever we could get is 2nd tier at best. And the difference between the top tier wings and the 2nd or 3rd tiers is pretty significant IMO.

There are quality guys I haven't mentioned - but how many of them could we actually get for our cap space?

Brandon Knight only plays bad defense when I watch him.
    Hype?

He's dropped off a cliff defensively the last week. I'm chalking that up to his limited mobility with the thigh bruise.

+ Reply to Thread