Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Salary Cap Thread

The Salary Cap Thread

First things first... some links to get you through the day:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents/

http://www.storytellerscontracts.inf...13salaries.htm

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

Using the 2nd link you can clearly see we'll have approx $37 million on the books after this season.

But that doesn't include our first round draft choice...

a top 5 choice ranges from 4.5 mil to 3 mil
    5-10 range would cost between 2.7 mil and 2 mil

I'll assume we pick somewhere in the 5-10 range

so $37 mil + $2.5 mil (for the exercise) means we'll have $39.5 mil on the books... let's just call it $40 mil and be done with it

On the books =

Stuckey - can be bought out for $4 million (unlikely)
    Nova - we can amnesty his ass (I hope so)
    Prince
    Jerebko
    Monroe
    Knight
    Drummond
    Kravtsov
    Singler
    Middleton
    English
    First Round Pick

12 players....

The cap for this season was set at $58.044 million!

Assume the cap remains the same as it is now (likely to increase but let's assume it doesn't)

Even if we don't amnesty Nova we'll have $18 mil in cap space! And the only rotation guy not on the books would be Maxiell!

The minimum we are allowed to spend on a team is $49.337 (assuming it doesn't increase to 90% of the cap next season)

Worst case scenario = we keep Nova and give Maxiell a 1 year contract for $10 mil, sign our 1st and 2nd round picks and we're done!

Drummond, Monroe, Prince, Singler, Knight with Stuckey, English, Jerebko, Maxiell, Slava, Middleton, Nova, first round rookie, 2nd round rookie = 14 players on the books... and we'd still have $8 million left in cap space

Here's hoping that doesn't happen
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

FWIW my #1 target would be Paul Millsap. I think he's exactly the type of guy we need and he'd compliment Monroe and Drummond up front

If memory serves he's 28 years old so he's in his prime. He's not worth the Max but I'd be willing to pay him HUGE dollars to come here

Another guy I'd look at would be Dorell Wright. Had that great season for the Warriors not so long ago but is back on the bench in Philly. I'd offer him a "home", a starting SG role (assuming Stuckey is happy with leading the bench). I'd have to watch some more film before I'll put my neck out for him though

Gordon, Villa, RIP,Stuckey-who needs defense anyway?
    you really want to spend most of the cap money for a backup bigman? i mean i like Millsap too, but i think we should focus on SF,SG, even a decent backup PG...this team needs some serious talent upgrade in the backcourt, we should be set with Monroe & Drummond up front, lets worry about their backups later ( isnt Maxiell a poor mans Millsap, undersized - good jumper, decent rebounder, not so good defensivly?)

Josh Smith, Igoudala will be UFA, we could also go for guys like Maynor, Redick, Mayo, Aminu, Calderon - they might not be that expensive + help the team immediately - we need to replace bynum, stuckey, prince, maggette imo

i am a little bit worried, Dumars job clearly is in jeopardy, he has to spend the cap money next summer, another Charlie/Bengo disaster could be on the way. This mess cant be fixed through free agency entirely, we need some trades, Prince/Stuckey gotta go - we have enough expiring contracts, Dumars needs to act now and not wait for free agency to overpay someone ( and thats gonna happen, i will guarantee it right here, right now)

We might want to focus on underachieving teams with high salary.... they could go in "dump mode"... don't mind overpaying for some talent when you're taking a current player off the books.

J.A.'s right. We've got one of the worst backcourts in the league. Brandon Knight's one of the worst 5 starting PGs in the league, and he has no viable backup. Stuckey's struggled so bad we're starting Kyle Singler out of position.

I think Calderon or Maynor make more sense than Millsap, especially considering we may be getting another young frontcourt player in the draft. It's too early to tell who may be looking to dump salary via trade, but Rudy Gay could be available if Memphis falls in the first round.

Millsapp would be Carlos boozer art II. I'd love to have him but not at $13 million a year or whatever he'd want.

I'm not closing the door on knight yet, either. his problem is he is thinking way too much. Frank has him trying to be Jason Kidd when he should be trying to be Brandon knight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I'm not closing the door on knight yet, either. his problem is he is thinking way too much. Frank has him trying to be Jason Kidd when he should be trying to be Brandon knight.
    I think the fact that Brandon Knight is one of the bottom 5 starting PGs in the NBA speaks more to the strength of the PG position than it does to the weakness of Knight's game.

But look at the list of starting PGs on every team. He IS one of the bottom 5. I'm not sold on him, but I'm not ready to give up on him either. But he needs to be backed up by someone better than Wil Bynum.

I think Millsap is the perfect guy to compliment Monroe and Drummond. Everything I've seen, heard and read suggests he's a smart dude that puts the team above his own ego. Dude wants to get paid and play lots of minutes sure, but I don't think he's concerned with who starts or who finishes the game as long as the team wins

96 minutes available at PF + C...

Monroe 34
    Drummond 28
    Millsap 34

With Slava and Jerebko capable of playing some minutes we'd be strong up front...

And assuming we gave Millsap $10 mil as a starting salary we'd still have $16 million in cap space (after using the amnesty on Nova) to fix the backcourt

Just throwing this out there: Sign Calderon @ $8 mil per.... sign a SG (Wright, Redick or someone else) @ $8 mil per

Monroe + Drummond (Slava)
    Millsap + Jerebko
    Prince + Singler (Middleton)
    FA + English
    Knight + Calderon (Stuckey)

IF Joe signed Millsap, Calderon and a SG would people complain about him once again blowing the cap?

Does signing Millsap and Calderon scream "win now"?

IMO signing Millsap and Calderon is merely a bridge to the future. They should help us make the playoffs in 2013-14 and they should be able to play at a high level for another few seasons... and that's all we'd need because in 2 or 3 years Monroe, Drummond and Knight could be absolutely killing it (depending on how they develop)

And if Drummond and Knight aren't killing it in 2 or 3 years time? That's why we signed Millsap and Calderon in the first place! They'd still be in their primes, still capable of holding it down and if Knight hasn't improved or if Drummond is only good enough to be a quality bench big then BOOM! we out-smarted everyone.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

And Joey: Yes I want to spend big on Millsap.

There are numerous options on the wing or in the backcourt. I read posts all the time where people name names and it's a long list!

But consider that Stuckey, Prince, Middleton, Singler, English and Knight are all on the books for next season. Worst case scenario is we don't sign a quality perimeter free agent and are stuck with that collection... Stuckey will expire after next season - surely that helps his trade value?

Now consider that beyond Monroe and Drummond the only big any of us would want to see get more than 1 minute of playing time is Slava! We all want Nova gone... Maxiell would be let go to maximise cap space... do we want Jerebko playing significant minutes at PF?

If you would prefer to see Jerebko play the bulk of his minutes at SF then I think you'd have to want a acquire a big man in free agency or trade. And if you want Jerebko playing the bulk of his minutes at SF then you've got to add him to the list of perimeter players we have under contract.

Prince, Jerebko, Singler, Stuckey, English... surely 2 of them are capable of starting on the wings?

PG is the tricky spot... because if Knight doesn't develop as much as we like then we're screwed for options... which is where Calderon comes in

For better or worse I would be happy if Joe signed Millsap and Calderon.

+ Reply to Thread