+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Culture

some quotes I found via links in the Gores Buys Pistons thread:

From the man himself:

The Pistons had lost Bill Davidson, the owner for 37 years, a couple of years prior. He really was very critical to the franchise. Culturally, the Pistons are a deep organization with a lot of pride. But when Bill passed away, they lost their way a little bit. His family was very clear they hadn’t stepped into Bill’s shoes and that someone needed to. The Davidsons and I developed a very trusting relationship. I went back to Detroit and saw them many times.

Bill’s son, Ethan, and his widow, Karen, didn’t just want to turn it over to anybody. That relationship was vital to ultimately working together to get the deal done. As my team and I studied PS&E, what really hit me is this is not just a sports team. It’s a reasonably complicated entertainment company. It has a stadium it owns that holds many events, two other concert centers, and it owns a little imaging company. The venues really are incredible assets, and other buyers weren’t really paying attention to them. Once I saw all the pieces I said, “Geez, this is right up our alley. It engages all the things we do in the LBO business.” While others might have looked at the fan base and the economy here and been concerned, I wasn’t that worried.

Just like any target company, we look at how the assets should be working together. For concerts we have to make sure we’re constantly out of the box. Detroit’s got such a good base to work with—big corporations, music, the storied franchise. We’re looking forward to mixing it up in the city and generating good activity.

What’s unbelievable to me is the impact I can make given that I’m from Detroit, I know the business, I have a reasonable understanding of sports and people. This is a community asset. If all I do is make a few bucks and the community isn’t happy, that’s not good. The beauty of this is that the fans are the customers. If you buy a company, you have to make the customers happy or they’re going to leave you. Winning brings folks in—so we have to figure out how to win, how to compete. I know this city needs that.
    Bold section sounds good to me!

selected quotes from Robert Wentworth - the dude interviewed in this link http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...getting-smart/

This is our first move into professional sports, both for the firm and for Tom Gores, and we approach this like any other investment that we make. We will really try to understand best practices and be forward-thinking as opposed to reactionary. Getting heavily into statistical analysis seems quite natural to us.
    Sounds good to me

The advanced stats just ought to be a part of your tool kit. It’s equally important to have really solid basketball people, and Joe Dumars has obviously been in this league for 25-plus years now. He has tremendous basketball intellect. But we’re just trying to make sure we use every tool in that took box, even if it means you just do a better job at finding that 8th, 9th or 10th guy.
    From the 2 links these quotes came from it seems like the plan right now is to:

1) have every tool every other (smart) team has in order to compete

2) do as much as possible to return the Pistons to greatness using everything they can think of to do so

Sounds good to me
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

First order of business is simply getting back into the playoffs. That's where it starts.

Your top young guys need to learn to come into every game expecting to win.

To me, that's a winning culture, when you can draft a guy anywere in the top 40 and just plug him in, and he plays as well or better than the guy he replaced.Obviously you need talent at the top for that, but it also has to do with having the attitude n the locker room where everybody plays an important role 1-12 and falls in line.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-12-2012 at 12:04 PM.

I don't think making the playoffs has much to do with your scenario.

I think if an organisation has a winning culture through ownership, the front office and with the Coaches the players you draft will come in to a settled locker room and the standards will be obvious.

I think organisations fall apart or breed a losing culture by bringing in people and allowing those people to dictate the work ethic or the standards in that environment. Human nature is a funny thing - not every person will work hard regardless of the situation they find themselves in. Some people will go above and beyond, some will do what is required and others will do as little as possible if you let them.

The key is to only have people who are willing to go above and beyond. That IMO is the secret to a winning culture in any business. Any time you hire someone new they usually take a little while to settle in, to get the lay of the land as it were. During this time they see how other people operate, see what the standards are, see what is required. The same way the people in charge get to see how this new person fits in, how they respond to the new environment... basically how they handle everything.

IF, during this "feeling out process" this new person sees some people doing as little as possible, goofing around, leaving early every Friday that sends a message IMO. IF this new person wasn't driven, wasn't the kind of person who goes above and beyond regardless then you could have yet another loser working for you.

Who is responsible for this new loser? The new guy? Or you for putting this new person into a poor environment?

Imagine taking that same guy and putting him into a positive environment. One where everyone starts early and finishes late. Where everyone goes above and beyond. One where the effort is praised, where his successes are celebrated by all, one where his opinion is valued,....

Where would you rather work?

IMO the playoffs are an after though. Right now the organisation should be more worried about putting into place the structures and standards that will ensure long term, sustained success. Once those things are in place the playoffs will come. Playing to win every game will come. Winning division titles will come.

But first comes the basics. Gores and his boys need to create a positive environment, a place where good people around the League want to work. Front office staff and players too.

If they do that then everything else follows.

A positive environment is reinforced by winning. The 2002 Pistons set the foundation for the 2004 Pistons, even if only 2 guys remained from one core group to the other.

I agree it's re-enforced by winning - but you've got to build it first

I don't think the organisation is too far from that

But not this season

IF things go to plan I think we'll look back at the 2012-13 season as the turning point, the first step towards the end goal, the season we finally move on from the aging vets and instead embrace our youth

They aren't building it; it's built. They have their young core. They have to win, and start now.

If they want to purge the rest of the veterans from the last decade, the new guys have to prove they deserve it by showing they can win games.

IMO it's not built - half of our roster probably won't be here next season. It's a transitional season again

This is the season where the young players fill the leadership void - which has begun but is an on-going process

This is the season where the front office rebuilds/builds knowledge - recovering from a couple of years due to "no" ownership. We've just started getting into advanced stats! We're playing catch up in that department. There surely are other areas that need to be addresses now we've got a new owner, areas that were in limbo after Mr D's death.

The young core you mention includes a 2nd year pro and a rookie. It's not built... the foundation has been laid.

Next off-season serious renovations will be made to the roster ... free agency holds the key

Gordon, Villa, RIP,Stuckey-who needs defense anyway?
    Wojo article about Dumars, he's part of the culture, isnt he?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--jo...g-project.html

good comment about it

But from a news perspective, this tidbit was interesting:

In the end, there’s a connection that Dumars has had to Detroit and the Pistons that transcends everything. Two league ownership sources told Yahoo! Sports that they tried to hire Dumars away during the ownership unrest between the Davidson and Gores eras, and he wouldn’t meet with them. He grew up as a young player in Detroit, raised his family there and sent his two children off to the University of Michigan.

Honestly, say what you will about Dumars’ decisions over the last few seasons (and trust me, plenty of people have and will continue to weigh in with opinions that are all over the place on those). But that type of loyalty is pretty unprecedented.

Think about it this way — the team was for sale, so who knows what type of ownership would come in and who they’d want to retain. The team was under-performing. The team had invested a lot of money in some bad contracts (granted, that was Dumars fault, but still … he could’ve walked away). He obviously had opportunities to leave that behind and start fresh elsewhere. Regardless of what you think of the basketball moves he’s made, that’s worthy of respect that he didn’t take the opportunity to bail. Plenty of people in his shoes would’ve done just that.

http://www.pistonpowered.com/2012/10...eet-with-them/

If you hire the right management and they bring in the right talent then you can get out of the revolving door conundrum... consistency allows you to take basic proven concepts and expand on them each year.
    Next on the agenda is adding team oriented players that can shoot & defend.

I think Joe is the "right" management... You can't question his character!

Looking back on the Nova and BG signings I think he wanted to replace Sheed and Billups... and the guys he bought simply weren't up to the task.

To the day I die I will believe he had a trade ready for Rip... and we would have got a big man... and then had the following:

C : more than just a defensive presence acquired through Rip trade
    F: Nova = stretch 4
    F: Prince = glue guy
    G: Gordon = perimeter scorer
    G: Stuckey = big strong guard

That line up works well together in theory but in reality Nova, BG and Stuckey didn't live up to expectations and the Rip for Big trade fell through... leaving us FUCKED!

It's taken a little while to recover due to ownership changes but now we've turned the corner thanks to 3 lucky Draft Days... come July 2013 Joe should be King again... and I can't wait to see what moves he makes.

+ Reply to Thread