+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guess Andre Drummond's new move...

Guess Andre Drummond's new move...

...would be awesome as hell if he developed a sky hook, but there's no way.

SO long as it isn't a Rasheed Wallace 3-pointer, I'm cool.

Jeff Seidel: Pistons rookie Andre Drummond has new secret move, plenty of mentors
    October 2, 2012 |
    Comments

KIRTHMON F. DOZIER/DFP
    By Jeff Seidel

Psst. Wanna know a secret?

Andre Drummond has spent almost three months in Detroit, working out at the Pistons' training facility, developing a top-secret weapon in the post.

"I can't tell you what it is," he said, flashing a smile on Monday afternoon at the Pistons' media day.

What is it?

"You gotta see," he said.

Hmm.

Is it a Kareem Abdul-Jabbar sky hook? Or a Shaquille O'Neal dunk? Or a Wilt Chamberlain finger roll?

"I can't tell you," he said.

Is it effective?

"I put points on the board," he said.

Austin Daye said that Drummond has improved a lot this summer, becoming more decisive in the post, while hinting about the top-secret move.

"He has a move that he likes to go to, but I can't really give that away," Daye said. "But that's key in the NBA -- to have a move you can go to."

That works for Pistons fans.

And it works for Pistons coach Lawrence Frank, who had a bemused expression when asked about Drummond's top-secret move. "We are all waiting to see it," Frank said, breaking into a smile.

The Pistons drafted Drummond in the first round because he is a tremendous shot blocker and a freak athlete. If he scores a little, just a little, that's only gravy.

"I just want to help my team win games," Drummond said. "Block shots. Rebound. Defend. That's it."
    'Extremely committed'

On draft day, one knock against Drummond was his work ethic, but several Pistons praised his effort this summer.

"He works extremely hard," said Corey Maggette, a 13-year veteran.

Frank also praised Drummond's work ethic: "He is working extremely hard. He has been extremely committed. He wants to learn, looks you in the eye. He is eager to learn. He has definitely made progress."

But let's keep this in perspective. Drummond is a work in progress. Nobody expects him to walk out and be a star. Shoot, there is no guarantee that he will even start or what his role will be. But he does bring a presence in the paint that can help the Pistons.

Maggette has grown close to Drummond. And if you get close to Maggette, he gives you a nickname.

"His nickname is Pimp Juice," Maggette said. "And he calls me Sea Drizzle, and then I call him Bee-Dizzle."

Frankly, we have no idea what that means. But it sounds like a good thing and Maggette has become Drummond's mentor: "This is a guy who is 19 and is still learning this game. He needs somebody around him. He needs a big brother, and I'm going to help anyway I can."
    'We are going to be great'

Drummond talks constantly about "team" and "winning games" and how this group of Pistons is a "family" and he is volunteering to do community service, promising to do "anything!" the Pistons want him to do.

He said he can't wait for training camp to start today.

And every time Drummond turns around, he gives somebody else credit for helping him develop this summer -- Greg Monroe, Maggette and Ben Wallace, who spent time at the facility this summer. "I'm speechless being around him," Drummond said of Wallace. "He is a legend. Some of the stuff he taught me, I can't even put into words."

Pistons fans are dreaming of the day that Monroe and Drummond line up together. "He definitely has the tools to be a very good center in this league," Monroe said. "It's too early to say how good he'll be."

Drummond said that he already has a connection with Monroe and they complement each other.

"As a team, we are going to be great this year," Drummond said. "We are going to win a lot of games."

Maybe. He wouldn't describe his secret weapon, but he sure does say all the right stuff.

Contact Jeff Seidel: 313-223-4558 or jseidel@freepress

Blog Entries
    Olajuwon Dream Shake is my guess.
    Find a new slant.

Where to start...

Maggette is mentoring our latest Next Big Thing? I blame Mr No Show Tayshaun Prince for that

Seriously, I just hope Drummond is willing to work his ass off and has the mental toughness needed to succeed in the NBA. It's obvious he has the physical tools... the rest is really up to him
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

I want to get pumped about this, but I'm not buying it yet.
    Players meeting my ASS!

It means nothing til he can make at least 55% of his FGs... his arms will break from all of the hacking.

I wish we had a center that was worth fouling 20 times a game....

+ Reply to Thread