+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Romney vs Obama 2012

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe View Post
    But 'we' still won.
    I said "after the second term". Bush should have been grooming a successor, a logical choice to run for President in 2008. Imagine Bush had appointed, say, Haley Barbour or brother Jeb in the wake of Cheney's heart issues in 2005 or so.

But Bush successor was going nowhere. The country elected a community organizer that had very little experience as a Senator, because of the anti'Bush vote. I mean no disrespect to the man, but just pointing out that he had/has very little experience and got elected.

If it weren't for Clinton's monicagate, Gore would have been elected. The left, imo, was able to make the Iraq war into a scandal. Bush successor was going NOWHERE.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Gore lost his home state, otherwise he would've been elected.
    Monicagate didn't help, but I can't blame Clinton for Tennessee.

Obama beat the experienced Clinton machine.

My point is that a VP for a president's second term is a door knob unless he's being groomed as a successor. Barring assassination, Cheney wasn't going to be Bush's successor. Biden isn't going to be Obama's successor (if he gets a second term). They should've filled that slot with the next president -- someone with enough of a political footprint to be VP, but not such a big footprint that they can be attacked nationally (a shorter-term governor vs. a lifetime congresscritter).
    Last edited by Uncle Mxy; 01-10-2012 at 08:56 AM.

McCain also won the nomination by grabbing the Bush mantle and running with it which was a juxtaposition of how he positioned himself in 2000 and rang hollow with his base. If there would have been a true successor the base would have bought it more and then the Pub nominee has a stronger position to fight for the independents on rather than having to fight for both base turnout and independents.

That said, Gore lost because of monicagate. Senators don't always pull their home states like governors do (which is partly why they are seen as weaker presidential candidates) and Tennessee is a swing state rather than say Kerry pulling Massachusetts.
    STEW BEEF!

Gore wasn't just a senator, he was VP and knew he'd be running.
    Tennessee was a state Clinton/Gore pulled off four years prior.
    If you can't get your own house in order, don't try for the White House.

The argument has been floated that Gore's reaction to Monicagate, rather than Monicagate itself, had more to do with why he lost. I just don't think it matters much if you can't win your home state.

He might get lucky, but imo, Odumba isn't outsmarting anyone.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mxy View Post
    I think it's a little soon to predict it'll be just Romney vs. Obama.
    Looks like Santorum beat Mittens in Iowa after all, and Mitt is no sure thing to win South Carolina with Perry out. Gingrich would be more entertaining than Mitt -- that I'm sure of.

In about a week the dude could go from sweeping the first 3 and winning as early as possible to losing 2/3 and having a possible real challenge. Pretty crazy.
    STEW BEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    In about a week the dude could go from sweeping the first 3 and winning as early as possible to losing 2/3 and having a possible real challenge. Pretty crazy.
    All hell will break loose if Newt wins Florida.
    And Mitt has a couple probably-lousy news cycles coming out between the Florida debate on Monday and the release of his tax returns on Tuesday.

+ Reply to Thread